Outsiders opinion about your 2018 contract

Local1

I've been working in the operating engineers union for the last 35 years, primarily as a crane operator. My son is a UPS driver, he's been with UPS for 12 years, 4 part time, 8 as a package car driver. This is just my own opinion, so that's why I'm posting instead of him. One of the issues he's talked to me about regarding the upcoming contract is the possibility of the company wanting a two tiered wage system. I'm urging all of you to seriously look at this issue, and never let it creep it's way into UPS. Here's why: a two tiered wage structure has historically been the first step in any companies attempt at getting rid of the union. Think about it.... It's the classic divide and conquer strategy. UPS will intentionally create an "us against them" mentality amongst the drivers; full rate drivers versus tier two drivers. It won't happen overnight, but eventually there will be as many tier two drivers as full rate drivers. Dissension amongst the rank and file will be fierce. Then the company will come in and offer to adjust the tier two pay rate to something close to the full rate, provided the union is voted out. Please don't consider any contract language that wants a two tiered wage structure. There are many who came before all of you who work every hard to secure the wages and benefits that you all have. You guys work way too hard, and your job is becoming more demanding every year. It's amazing how hard you all work! Don't go backwards. Don't be fooled by some signing bonus, or a promise to lighten daily workload in exchange for a two tiered wage structure. I've seen it happen I'm the past- don't let UPS become one of those jobs that "used to be a good paying job". Again, just my own opinion.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I read about two sentences and had to call upon Mr Wiggles to get me through the rest
IMG_3782.PNG

jaker

trolling
I love the two tierd talk , a rumor with no proof and people who can't even tell you who the steward is talk about it

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How much more can I get if I sell out future employees? Bump up the pension and I'm in.

Last edited:

retired2000

Thanks for giving your advice but these young kids do not care. Just look st our vote about cutting our pension over 20,00 did not vote. All those counted as a yes vote to cut the pension

Gear

Parts on Order
Operating Engineers for 35 years. I believe you've seen excellent union jobs turn into ok union jobs. You guys work along side other union shops. All those union jobs that went backwards were a direct effect of greedy hourly workers only concerned about themselves. And the company taking advantage of that fact. They cut the throats of the younger guys to gain a penny. The days of protecting the job are over, probably since the early 90s.

I know of 2 different utility companies around me where the old timers allowed the company to go backwards so they could gain. Water company- Top seniority guys get a pension and 401k. New guys get the 401k only, same company match, lost the pension. Top seniority guys get 6 weeks of vacation. Guys after a certain date get 4 weeks. 2 weeks of vacation lost there. Plus adding to the top rate progression to 8 years
The old guys got their's, screw everyone else. They new guys didn't "pay their dues".

Same as the electric company. Top guys get the pension and 401k. Guys after a certain date get the 401k.

Here at UPS, things were taken away from the part timers. The full timers blame it on the part timers not voting. But they didn't have to agree with all the concessions.

Most union jobs took their turn on the chopping block. We'll get ours. UPS is a extremely greedy environment, from the top down to full rate employees. Plus alot of us live in a brown bubble and dont see the losses other union jobs have taken. If the choice comes down to the loss of a penny or two tier wage system for new guys, its going to be the two tier system. We will be no different than all the other union jobs. We just happen to be towards the back of the line.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
With a progression that keeps wages at 50-65% of top pay (rough guesstimate) through the first 4 years, we already have the beginnings of a two tiered wage. Couple that with the 9.5 restrictions and it's even more of a gift to the company.

A four year progression is fine for an apprentice learning a skill...not a person delivering packages for a living.

With a progression that keeps wages at 50-65% of top pay (rough guesstimate) through the first 4 years, we already have the beginnings of a two tiered wage. Couple that with the 9.5 restrictions and it's even more of a gift to the company.

A four year progression is fine for an apprentice learning a skill...not a person delivering packages for a living.
We do have two tiered wages with drivers and inside ft employees.

JL 0513

If UPS tries and extends progression again, imagine 5 years, that would be awful. It's one of the things I'm anxious to see what happens. 5 years would getting to the point of not being worth becoming a driver.

JL 0513

I do wonder where the two tier rumor started. I bet it is actually not even a thing but something that was just thrown out their on a thread on here at some point and it spread. Could be true, who knows.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If UPS tries and extends progression again, imagine 5 years, that would be awful. It's one of the things I'm anxious to see what happens. 5 years would getting to the point of not being worth becoming a driver.
5 years is as long as I'm willing to stretch it out but the raises would have to be much better. Like $2 an hour every 6 months or something.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You have cricket wireless, are you poor?
If paying $100, taxes included, for 5 lines with 4gigs of LTE data per line on the AT&T network means I'm poor, I guess so.

Did I mention you can also get refill cards at 15-20% off face value pretty much all the time?

But for those paying $300/month for 4 people, keep on keeping on.

Indecisi0n

If paying $100, taxes included, for 5 lines with 4gigs of LTE data per line on the AT&T network means I'm poor, I guess so.

Did I mention you can also get refill cards at 15-20% off face value pretty much all the time?

But for those paying $300/month for 4 people, keep on keeping on.
Oh honey, it's ok. We won't think any less of you.