Over 70S

rowan

Lets let UPS Freight handel over 70S. Tired of hiking portable air conditioners up 3 flights of stairs. Just ranting on my break. Have a good weekend.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have noticed we deliver far more larger heavier stuff than we did just 5-6 years ago. Routes that I remember going out in p47's are now in 700's that look full.

Part if it is more stops per car but a lot of it is the size of the packages we are delivering also.

cino321

Everything is getting bigger. Look at the size of some Amazon, diapers.com, and wag.com packages. If you have an old package car you can't fit them out the cab and have to use the rear. It's ridiculous.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Ask for assistance. If you don't get any record as missed. Rinse and Repeat

Exactly. My on-car said if you have something super heavy and can't reasonably get to the person's door by yourself or with a handtruck, ask for help from the consignee & if it's not available/not willing, sheet it up & move on.

I'm all about service, but I'm not carrying an over 70 up more than a flight of stairs by myself. I can't afford to get hurt.

rowan

Oh man I've been delivering a lot of amazon that are dipers and wipes in the same box. There big and heavy or I'm just getting old. Yep its crazy the size of the stuff we get now. I have not seen the old chains we used to measue the boxes with.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Exactly. My on-car said if you have something super heavy and can't reasonably get to the person's door by yourself or with a handtruck, ask for help from the consignee & if it's not available/not willing, sheet it up & move on.

I'm all about service, but I'm not carrying an over 70 up more than a flight of stairs by myself. I can't afford to get hurt.

Typical, ignorant management response. In all of my years in package car, I never asked a customer to help me drag some of their freight in their home/business. It's not their job. I've had some customers volunteer to help, but that's up to them.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Typical, ignorant management response. In all of my years in package car, I never asked a customer to help me drag some of their freight in their home/business. It's not their job. I've had some customers volunteer to help, but that's up to them.

I get where you're coming from, but we take up to 149lb boxes. Are you saying if you had a big 149lb box and the consignee was on the 4th floor of an apartment building with no elevator or way to use a handtruck you wouldn't ask the consignee for help?

In my opinion we should have utility guys (union members, maybe 22.3) who would come out to meet a driver to assist with ridiculously big/heavy packages (like over 100 lbs) where there is no way to use a handtruck.

iruhnman630

Nothing ignorant about that response. Ignorant would be a supervisor saying to get it up the stairs anyway possible. Kudos to the sup for getting it right.

I have refused to do a grand total of 2 ow deliveries, both to upper level apartments.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That's because they have to send a union employee out to help u if u request it. Do not sheet it and move on.

FilingBluesFL

I don't remember if it's in the MASTER or the SUPPLEMENTAL, but there is a clause in the contract that we are NOT to ask a consignee for help, but to request another union employee to assist with an over-70 delivery.

Our more upwardly mobile union steward stresses this point very often much to managements dismay. They don't like when you bring up contract language for some reason...

FilingBluesFL

Lets let UPS Freight handel over 70S. Tired of hiking portable air conditioners up 3 flights of stairs. Just ranting on my break. Have a good weekend.

You must not have gotten the "small front wheel drive transaxle strapped down to a bare pallet" to deliver yet.

Always a delight to look forward to. I've only ever delivered one.

Overpaid Union Thug

I wonder how many people in this thread addressed this issue at their contract proposal meeting or on their contract proposal ballots? Or even attempted either? I know I did.

sppollock

I am a freight driver and am confused, we don't do stairs. I have never been told to take anything up stairs by UPS Freight management or anyone else, if they order something it is clear to the customer that we are only responsible to deliver it to the curb of there come, of course we drivers give better service than that and take things as far as we can, but we are not allowed to do stairs or go into houses.

rowan

When I was hired it was can you lift 70 not 150. Should be a 2 man crew out doing over 70s. Plus they look like crap when they make it to final destination. My hub is not really set up well for them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Making it a policy to ask a consignee for help would end after a few pulled back muscles or ruptured discs. This is of course after they fired you for not reporting the customer hurt himself, resulting in an accident.