Over 9 FIVE, What's your take on this?

swing_drv

If a driver is forced onto a route, And another driver vacates a route. Can that driver that was forced onto the route bid on another route ? Does the 6 month rule go into effect on a driver that was forced into a rout? Thanks !!

over9five

Staff member
I think that the vacated route would have to be posted for bid.

I also think that it won't be done unless someone pushes for it. Easier for them to just put a cover driver on it. Tell your shop steward that route should be posted.

I don't know what the 6 month rule is. Might be something you have that we don't.

Good luck!

JustTired

free at last.......
My 2 cents.........and I could be wrong.

If you were forced on a route, you have not bid it. Therefore you should be open to bid any route that comes up. The 6 months (if that is what it is) would only take effect when you have a successful bid.

Now if the route in question is vacated on a permanent basis, then it should be posted for bid and you should be able to bid it.

I would think that it is as simple as that.

swing_drv

Yes the vacated route is a permanent route . A driver retired . And another driver bid on his route and won it . Now the driver that won that route, his old route is up for bids. I think the driver should be able to bid on it because he was forced on a route and did not sign the bid list. But others are saying he has to wait 6 months. Just wanted to know what the truth is.

over9five

Staff member
Here, when someone retires, that route is put up for bid. That is the "A" bid. There can be a "B" and "C" bid too, depending on route openings because of the driver that GOT the retirees route.

JustTired

free at last.......
That 6 months should only come into play once you have a successful bid. Being forced onto a route is not a bid. You can bid everyday (if that was possible) and as long as you don't win any of them, you are free to bid again and again.

BigBrownSanta

A driver who bids a route and wins the bid, cannot bid another route for 6 months.

Force the company to show a bid sheet with your signature on it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Is it every 6 months or 2 times per year. There is a difference. We had a driver bid a route and a couple weeks later bid his old route back. 2 moves and he was done for a year. This was a few years ago.

Sounds like this is one of those times when Management is going to do as they damn well please unless someone stops them. A grievance will have to be filled and let the process decide what is what. I'm sure, as in so many other matters, that the whole answer can vary from one region to another. Talk to your steward or BA, get the facts and go from there.