"Overallowed" Comes to Feeders

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm glad to see you never go over the sped limit in your personal o company vehicle.
What a person chooses to do in their personal vehicle...or whether or not they happen to exceed a posted speed limit in a company vehicle...has nothing at all to do with management pressuring an employee into driving a UPS package car with a flat tire in order to increase productivity.

rod

Retired 22 years
Now maybe them dang feeder drivers will stop bragging about how easy they have it. Look out feeder dept----UPS has seen a golden area where they can squeeze more blood out of a turnip. The pickens are pretty slim to get more out of the package driver dept.

tarbar66

Over

My experience with most feeder drivers is that they do drive the posted speed for the roads they are traveling. That does not take into affect bad weather or other contributing road problems.

But on the other hand, I have seen feeder drivers on a sunny warm day, with minimal traffic, drive 10-15 MPH UNDER the posted speed limit for trucks. Not sure why, but I never saw a reason for it.

I am sure feeders is much like management and delivery. There are those that are worth their weight in gold, others are not worth the ground they stand on.

d

Truer words have never been spoken!

raceanoncr

Over,
I'm having a little trouble with your OP. You mean just NOW they're starting to lean on you?

We've had that here for most of my career but as you and others have said, there ain't much that can be done. Oh, many have tried but, like I said here and in other posts, it comes down to what number is in the schedule. I, for one, never did care what was in the schedule. I did what I thought was safe and comfortable for me, whether pre/post-trip, on-road speed or finish work.

We had a Feeder Mangler one time at, what was then called a TLA, breakfast for those that could attend. He and another supervisor were commenting on the fact that most of us were recording excessive FW times. That is, drive in to the phone, drive to break-down area, break doubles, etc., etc. He used me as an example. In front of everyone, he asked me what the finish work time is. I said, "Whenever I get done". THAT didn't go over very well.

Another time: At a turnaround hub, a new manager was upstairs quizzing everyone on numbers. My turn. "What time is your pull-time from here?" Me: "I don't know". He: "You HAVE to know your pull-time". Me: "Why? When you're done loading and I'm done hooking and pre-tripping, I leave. You're done early, I leave early. You're done late, I leave late."
That didn't go over so well, either.

Point is, we've been having this banter for years. As you and others have said, though, we can't make up any time unless somebody plows different numbers into that big cyber machine. Hmpf...reminds me of another driver. Sort was extremely late. They asked him, "How much time can you make up?" He said, "Well, let's see...driving the speed limit...NONE!!!"

tarbar66

Another thought about the numbers. Dispatch to driver, we've got a hot load here, I need you to get it there by 23:00, can you do it? Driver to dispatch, I think I can but who was supposed to do it in the 1st place? Dispatch, get going we'll talk later, be safe!

Of course once the driver is on his way he realizes he will have to average 70 mph to get there by 23:00 when the top speed limit is 65 mph.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What a person chooses to do in their personal vehicle...or whether or not they happen to exceed a posted speed limit in a company vehicle...has nothing at all to do with management pressuring an employee into driving a UPS package car with a flat tire in order to increase productivity.

Really ... let me check with some idiot IE sitting in a cubicle in Corporate to verify that. :wink2:

trouble maker

And in the metrics-obsessed cult of fear that is UPS management, it is perfectly acceptable to spend $500 in order to save a dime as long as you make sure that the dime shows up on your report while the $500 shows up on someone elses.
I just spit my coffee out of my mouth! LoL that is soooooooooooooooooooooo true!!!!:funny:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Most of the minutes over are minutes in the breakrooms with the paper and ho-ho waiting for loads. Logistics?
if you have to wait on a load,you hit central sort on the ivis (tractor computer) this will bring down your paid over day !! you should also be standing behind your load in case they are looking for you or YES,filming you !!

browniehound

Exactly. This fact alone demonstrates how limited a Feeder drivers options are in reducing his overallowed. There is really only ONE WAY.

Drive faster.

This is what I was thinking, Over. If they OJS you are they going to gain 4 seconds because you took too long to fasten the seatbelt 4 times? Seriously, where are they going to find flaws in your production if you do the speed limit everyday?

trickpony1

Exactly. This fact alone demonstrates how limited a Feeder drivers options are in reducing his overallowed. There is really only ONE WAY.

Drive faster.

I don't think it works like that.
In the old days they didn't really care what you did as long as you got to where you were going at the correct time.
Now, with a computer watching every move you make, if you are a little over on one part of your job, you can't make it up by going faster on the next part of your job.
I've seen the printouts with the plus's and minus's beside each aspect of my job.

pretzel_man

As has been stated before, feeder overallowed is mostly on property. Seldom in travel. Making standard on road does NOT require speeding.

I spend much of my career in feeder..... While I have no hard facts to prove this, my belief is that the bulk of the on property overallowed is caused by management. Drivers waiting at the gate for arrival. Waiting for their outbound dispatch. Looking for a trailer, dolly, etc.

My intuition will be proven or disproven soon. Telematics is coming to feeder. Its already at UPS freight....

Ibt804Hammer

As has been stated before, feeder overallowed is mostly on property. Seldom in travel. Making standard on road does NOT require speeding.

I spend much of my career in feeder..... While I have no hard facts to prove this, my belief is that the bulk of the on property overallowed is caused by management. Drivers waiting at the gate for arrival. Waiting for their outbound dispatch. Looking for a trailer, dolly, etc.

My intuition will be proven or disproven soon. Telematics is coming to feeder. Its already at UPS freight....

Much of your theory is 100% correct with meadowlands, that building is a cluster fk.

bluehdmc

Much of your theory is 100% correct with meadowlands, that building is a cluster fk.

That's for sure, you can wait a half hour just to get in the gate from the street to the phone, 2-3 mins listening to the phone ring before it gets picked up. Then 15-20 waiting for the trailer to come off the door your putting your inbound load on. Then wait while they load your outbound load, if your load is in the yard there is no seal control. Then the outbound gate takes the guards 10 mins to make up the seal control and seal the load. Then when it's busy, 3-5 min wait for the phone again on the outbound. Let alone yard traffic.

Then they ask, "Reason for the delay?"

outta hours

Lots of reasons to run over allowed. Many already given. I too agree that the time waiting on loads either hub, or CPU is a big time suck. Also here we have to clean out trailers after the twilight sort to take to CPU accounts. it takes time to unload 26 pallets and straps, peanuts, fliers, Etc. Looking for trailers that are not on property also takes time.

We used to code all of that stuff as shifting hub location. But that was stopped a few years ago. We never see the WOR in my feeder dept. Only the idle time report. And only in the summer when its over 100 degrees outside.:happy2:

Ibt804Hammer

That's for sure, you can wait a half hour just to get in the gate from the street to the phone, 2-3 mins listening to the phone ring before it gets picked up. Then 15-20 waiting for the trailer to come off the door your putting your inbound load on. Then wait while they load your outbound load, if your load is in the yard there is no seal control. Then the outbound gate takes the guards 10 mins to make up the seal control and seal the load. Then when it's busy, 3-5 min wait for the phone again on the outbound. Let alone yard traffic.

Then they ask, "Reason for the delay?"

Lol. How about the trailer you need is on the top deck, NOT. What a joke. Last peak the police started busting balls for the trailers on the street waiting.