Overloaded with pickups, need advice

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
you don't need to be an "a-hole" to stand up for yourself and do what's right.

True...but if you are standing up for yourself to a whole bunch of "a-holes" who run the company, it sure helps to have some "a-holes" on your side to back you up when you do.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Not intended to correct, in fact I didn't even see your post. I got as far as the OP mentioning that he was being forced to sign something and that's where my eyes popped out of my head and when I clicked "quick reply". :thumbup:
I wasn't sure, but it doesn't matter as you have an excellent point. I run around here screaming don't sign anything but your check. Not true. Federal law requires us to sign the DVIR. Which is fine. I get so irritated when people are like what's the big deal with signing these safety things and the like???? Bigger picture, people!!!!!

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I wasn't sure, but it doesn't matter as you have an excellent point. I run around here screaming don't sign anything but your check. Not true. Federal law requires us to sign the DVIR. Which is fine. I get so irritated when people are like what's the big deal with signing these safety things and the like???? Bigger picture, people!!!!!

Absolutely correct. This company likes to have the luxury of being able to get rid of people as quick as they can. If they have stacks and stacks of forms with your signature at the bottom and find you in violation of something, it makes it all the easier for them. All it takes is one incident to set the wheels of progressive discipline in motion.

I typically find that management types will apply the most pressure to the newer drivers (those with less than 2 or 3 years on road) because they are usually the ones who are least aware of their rights under collective bargaining. I've explained to many of them (new drivers, that is) that after I am asked to sign something, I politely decline. Anything that you sign that is not the DVIR or your paycheck will essentially be held as a contract between you and the company. After declining to sign, the management type will usually then politely ask me to print "refused to sign" at the bottom, which I will always do. I also tell the new driver that any deviation from this process on the management type's part immediately warrants the presence of a shop steward.

Bottom line: know your rights people.