Overnite again

D

dannyboy

It seems that the teamsters have signed an agreement with UPS to not try and unionize the drivers at Overnite.

Now why would that be?

d

U

ups_gal_710

I saw something to that point in the UPS magazine we all get in the mail.

W

wkmac

I just threw that mag. in the trash. You mean I gotta go dig it out now!

I saw that article in the mag. but didn't read it. Oh well.

D

dannyboy

Got the news thru the business agent. He words were "What the heck are they thinking?"

Politics makes for strange bedfellows. And Hoffa is sure sleeping around. And I bet Daddy Hoffa is spining in his grave, even with those cement shoes.

d

T

teddyr

That is just fine if they dont want to unionize. As long as they contribute to the bottom line we keep our good pay and great benefits. Remember that UPS still needs 70,000 plus drivers to deliver hundreds of stops a day. It can't be done driving around in a freight truck.

N

new_steward

The reason I heard was to protect drivers at UPS. Hmmmm.???
I think its a mistake to keep them seperate.
It seems that this scenerio has caused problems for FDX.

V

vet

we need solid info,,,,,,not hearsay, rumors, halftruths, etc.
Started by who even knows?

W

wily_old_vet

UPS Teamster magazine makes no such statement about signing an agreement where the Teamsters wouldnt try to unionize Overnight. The article said that Overnight would be a seperate entity and that the Teamsters would closely monitor the situation to make sure no UPS jobs are shifted to Overnight. Got the magazine today and read the article twice to make sure of my info.

D

dannyboy

You stated that "Overnight would be a seperate entity and that the Teamsters would closely monitor the situation to make sure no UPS jobs are shifted to Overnight."

Well that sounds like if UPS jobs are Teamster and Overnites are not, that might be a reason for watching that type of move closely now wouldnt it?

As I stated in the original post, this came from a reliable source, and was what he understood the agreement was. He even asked to make sure there was no misunderstanding.

I will post back with information as I am allowed to share.

Tie, I agree, it would be hard to believe.

d

I

isdrone

That is very hard to believe. I could never see the Teamsters completely giving up on Overnite. They had a very rough battle with Overnite in the past few years.

I am sure this will be on agenda come 2008.

Q

quebec_driver

Watch transborder freight go to overnite, UPSers won`t loose jobs but there probably be no new ones

B

big

Teamsters havent tried anything yet but afl cio has been hanging around terminal I work out passing out flyers yesterday

P

proups

Hoffa announced that the Teamsters were breaking their ties to to AFL-CIO and that they would once again try to organize Overnite - all in the same day last week!

I'll bet he was out of breath.....no, wait a minute....a blowhard is never out of breath!
blush.gif