Overtime - Is it worth it?

code5

Overtime is part of the fabric of UPS. It is written into all collective agreements - Overtime is inevitable. But is it?

A bit of overtime is, but 4 hours per day? Both managment and employees use and abuse it. We make a good wage, maybe you could adjust your life without it, thus creating a bit more non-ups time to balance your life. Maybe you would be more productive in your non-overtime hours.

Maybe management would have less employees "stealing time" if they weren't so accustomed to getting that much overtime regularly.

Personally, i'd love staight 8 hour days, but the whole UPS system doesn't allow it. I don't have a problem with co-workers wanting overtime, but in time they give up trying to work for it, but feel like its entitled to them.

Most organizations frown on overtime. I'd like to see overtime be adjusted to double time, instead of time and a half, then it might not be so abused.

Everyone is different, but "my time" was always after my shift, not before. A punch out time between 8 and 9p.m. sucks! I'd take overtime before 9 a.m. anytime but not after, but I realize thats just me.

over9five

Staff member
I have no use for overtime. Eight hours a day is enough.
IMHO overtime should be given to people who ask for it, not rammed down your throat if you don't want it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I knew OT was part of the deal. I currently pull down 7-9 hours of OT per week and that works for me right now.

tracker2762

This is a big reason why we get 45 hours vacation pay instead of 40. Overtime is part of the fabric of UPS. Very rarely to I work under 45 hours a week unless I take off a day.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I punched out at 5 p.m. on Friday with only 7.5 hours. What's this OT you speak of?
Slacker :happy-very:

I could have taken a route like that if I wanted, but right now I'm focused on doubling down on all my debt and maximizing my pension contributions.

browniehound

Overtime is part of the fabric of UPS. It is written into all collective agreements - Overtime is inevitable. But is it?

A bit of overtime is, but 4 hours per day? Both managment and employees use and abuse it. We make a good wage, maybe you could adjust your life without it, thus creating a bit more non-ups time to balance your life. Maybe you would be more productive in your non-overtime hours.

Maybe management would have less employees "stealing time" if they weren't so accustomed to getting that much overtime regularly.

Personally, i'd love staight 8 hour days, but the whole UPS system doesn't allow it. I don't have a problem with co-workers wanting overtime, but in time they give up trying to work for it, but feel like its entitled to them.

Most organizations frown on overtime. I'd like to see overtime be adjusted to double time, instead of time and a half, then it might not be so abused.

Everyone is different, but "my time" was always after my shift, not before. A punch out time between 8 and 9p.m. sucks! I'd take overtime before 9 a.m. anytime but not after, but I realize thats just me.

I think you hit the nail on the head with "my time" being AFTER you punch punch out. I'll take 60 hours a week if I can start at 5 am. Otherwise .5 to 1.5 hours of OT is enough for me with me leaning to the .5 side

code5

This is a big reason why we get 45 hours vacation pay instead of 40. Overtime is part of the fabric of UPS. Very rarely to I work under 45 hours a week unless I take off a day.

Yea, but my point is that Overtime may not really benefit the company or the employees in the long run.

BTW, I'm from Canada. Our vacation pay is calculated based on a percentage of our regular wage based on years of service. Overtime has nothing to do with that. We also have no 9.5 language in our collective agreement. We don't have regional contracts either, its the same one from coast to coast. It states overtime is inevitable. It talks about excess overtime and we can greive it if excess goes on for a reasonable amount of time. But doesn't state just how much excess is or how long is a reasonable amount of time.

Sorry, but I think allowing overtime is a good way to provide an out for lazy management IMO. Damn, I used to manage fast food and we could ask our employees to stay after their shift, but if they didn't want to we couldn't make them. Yet, the customers were still walking in the doors. How is that any different from UPS.

UPSGUY72

Last Week I got 1.5 hrs of OT and also got my 1.8 hrs of Guaranteed time for punching out early three of the five days.

If I didn't have to drive 1 hr to and from work each day I wouldn't mind a couple of hours of OT a day. But right now an 8 hr paid day is really a 11 to 12 hour day for me and any OT just adds to that. When I can bid back to the building 2 miles from my house I will gladly take the all the OT I can get.

whiskey

OT equals time away from your family.
The family dinner every day is critical to the family itself. How many of us here at UPS have a sit down dinner with our families each and every day?
I remember getting a letter from UPS, to go management. The letter detailed that the interview process required a spousal interview. That was enough for me to make a decision to continue on as an hourly.

UPSGUY72

Yea, but my point is that Overtime may not really benefit the company or the employees in the long run.

BTW, I'm from Canada. Our vacation pay is calculated based on a percentage of our regular wage based on years of service. Overtime has nothing to do with that. We also have no 9.5 language in our collective agreement. We don't have regional contracts either, its the same one from coast to coast. It states overtime is inevitable. It talks about excess overtime and we can greive it if excess goes on for a reasonable amount of time. But doesn't state just how much excess is or how long is a reasonable amount of time.

Sorry, but I think allowing overtime is a good way to provide an out for lazy management IMO. Damn, I used to manage fast food and we could ask our employees to stay after their shift, but if they didn't want to we couldn't make them. Yet, the customers were still walking in the doors. How is that any different from UPS.

How does OT not benifit the driver? Drivers like OT to get ahead on bills, take great vacations, buy expensive toys (boats, motorcycles, RVS, etc), pay for the children education, ETC.

tracker2762

OT equals time away from your family.
The family dinner every day is critical to the family itself. How many of us here at UPS have a sit down dinner with our families each and every day?
I remember getting a letter from UPS, to go management. The letter detailed that the interview process required a spousal interview. That was enough for me to make a decision to continue on as an hourly.

We gave up on a family dinner many years ago. My wife can't wait for me to get home between 7 and 8 to eat and I don't mind that. My dinner is usually sitting in the microwave like many other drivers, it's part of the job.

UPSGUY72

We gave up on a family dinner many years ago. My wife can't wait for me to get home between 7 and 8 to eat and I don't mind that. My dinner is usually sitting in the microwave like many other drivers, it's part of the job.

+1

When my wife only wants to cook for the kids she calls me and tells me to pick something up on the way home.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

1.5X OT should begin after 8 hrs

Double OT should be anything over 10 worked hours.

Period.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dont mind working 9.5 to 10 hours, its the 11, 12 and 13 hour shifts that get old really quickly. Making deliveries after 8:00 at night on a routine basis is not a good business practice, it isnt safe for the driver, and it does not project a professional image of us to the public. Peak season would be the exception of course.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i despise my job, really, i hate everything about my job. my only goal when i punch in is to get the hell outta there asap. I also hate mandatory OT, my hatred for the job is why im a runner, My hours last week, .64 OT,,,6.30 production bonus,and 3.9 guarantee ,,except for peak i rarely have over a hr ot