P/T Management vs P/T Driver

RippleX482

I recently started working for UPS and an Air Driver. Management realized that I caught on very quick and did my job well. They decided to put me in consideration for a P/T Management position.

Now here is the question. As a driver there are very good benefits and I am a member of the union. First off as P/T Management will I still be able to work part time as an Air Driver and still be involved in the union. Or is it a one or the other situation. And if so is the management position good enough to walk away from the union.

Im still pretty new to the company and I would like the most honest opinion anyone can offer.

Thanks,
Jeff

breadbooze

they are pulling your chain. they'll have you submit your letter year after year while they make better use for you as a driver.

trickpony1

Part-time air driver is a union position.
Part-time management is, of course, a management position and non-union.

Management isn't supposed to be performing union, collective bargaining, work. So I think you'll have to choose one but not both.

H

hr

It really depends upon what is important to you and what you want from your life and your career.

Only you can access your own attitude and work ethic to determine whether you value more highly the job security offered by a union or the opportunity to advance up the corporate ladder. Both decisions are equally valid and important to our organization.

Unfortunately most of the package car drivers that post most often here paint a very negative picture of their situations. Misery loves company and other disgruntled package car drivers join their chorus raising a loud ruckus that distorts the message that I hear everyday from most drivers. Don't let their subersive agenda cloud your thinking about their job if that is the choice suited to your personal priorities.

Either career path is what you make of it, attitude is everything.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
It really depends upon what is important to you and what you want from your life and your career.

Only you can access your own attitude and work ethic to determine whether you value more highly the job security offered by a union or the opportunity to advance up the corporate ladder. Both decisions are equally valid and important to our organization.

Unfortunately most of the package car drivers that post most often here paint a very negative picture of their situations. Misery loves company and other disgruntled package car drivers join their chorus raising a loud ruckus that distorts the message that I hear everyday from most drivers. Don't let their subersive agenda cloud your thinking about their job if that is the choice suited to your personal priorities.

haha you make me laugh, how far have you gone up the "corporate ladder"?

hoser

Industrial Slob

Finally, someone gives advice that's balanced and useful.

It depends what you want to do... If you want to make a cool $26/hr with crazy benefits, stay where you are. Nothing wrong with that.

But if you want something different, a NEW challenge, and very, VERY good room for advancement (someone has to lead the world's largest unionized workforce) go management.

All depends where you're at and where you want to be in 5, 10, and 25 years.

haha you make me laugh, how far have you gone up the "corporate ladder"?
how far have you gone up? makes me wonder, especially when all you have to offer to a poster's view that you disagree with is laughter?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
UH, NO HR
"Either career path is what you make of it, attitude is everything"

There is more than attitude involved, present management, availability of promotion, having someone who isnt afraid you will bypass them, because you are smarter, more educated, more ambitious, those are all things that can come into play. And can kill a young aggressive entrepeneuristic (sic)with the greatest attitude in the world in a heartbeat.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
how far have you gone up? makes me wonder, especially when all you have to offer to a poster's view that you disagree with is laughter?

i cant go any further on the labor side:laugh:. i disagree because i think what HR said was BS. "attitude is everything" ???? i been around long enough to see what's going on with those sups, and the kind of change they gone through. Both as a person and on the job. while this prep talk sounds good on paper, it doesn't work when it comes to manage people in real life situations.

If you wanna hear real advice, here is 1) recognize & identify the type of people you work with. with unmotivated workers, you have to be firm but be resonable in the same time. aujust to your workers and your superiors, never the other way around. at some point you have to choose to take side. remember this, inorder for you to move higher within the company, you have to turn against the people that work for you. instead of looking out for them, you have to take the company's side and screw them. Or you can choose the worker's side and stay where you are for awhile. :wink:

ask yourself this question "what kind of person am i?" "how much do i value Integrity and Honor?"

Goodluck and feel free to ask anything here, get a different opinion from both side. but don't be afraid to ask your co-workers and see for yourself what's really going on.

Last edited:

hoser

Industrial Slob
remember this, inorder for you to move higher within the company, you have to turn against the people that work for you. instead of looking out for them, you have to take the company's side and screw them. Or you can choose the worker's side and stay where you are for awhile. :wink:
Of course, when you become a manager, your co-workers are not your friends anymore, they're your employees. That's the employer heiarchy. "Screw them"? Wow you're aleinated with authority figures in jobs.

ask yourself this question "what kind of person am i?" "how much do i value Integrity and Honor?"
"don't advance! stay at the bottom because that has integrity and honor!" friend'n teamster speak. complete bollocks.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
believe me there are few sups in my hub that will look out for their own and treat you like a friend. those are the sups we bent backward for.and yes those ppl i mentioned above does have integrity and honor, the same reason they don't go up very high in the company. the center manager and HM are the type you wouldn't wanna turn your back on.

i didn't use the word "friend'n manager speak" so no point of getting upset. smile alittle and have a nice day:)