P/T UPS On Road Supervisor question and thoughts

Hi guys.. if I missed this in the FAQ or a sticked thread please direct me...

I have 9 years experience in the courier industry.. dealing with routes/drivers and parcels .. and many more types of service.. I have a 4 year degree and have managed my own facility of ~50 employees.. about 40 of them drivers (40 routes). I was responsible for budgets, service, KPI's, OT management-labor cost, hiring, firing, customer service issues ( I basically covered like 3 different positions LOL). I came up from the bottom driving.

I had to quit my position in a non-public company due to my father having an illness in which he did not make it out of... I am looking to start a new career because I have moved into my father's house and do not want to commute from the IE to OC..

I would like to enter your organization because I have always looked at UPS as a bar setter as far as the consumer sees LOL ( I know you guys have your issues)

I had seen this ad online and was wondering if this is a good gateway into UPS management... I would like to know..

1. Can I , off the street, enter into any type of FT sup/management positions or do I have to start PT?

2. If I can enter Sup/management, is there a way to enter FT instead of PT?

3. based on my general description of my background, iam I over qualified or under qualified?

4. Should I go for another position?..

5. What is the salary/per hour rate for PT ? and then FT? is it open to neg?

Thanks guys .. stay hydrated :2guns:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Highly unlikely that UPS would have an On-Road supe position which is a Management position.
Go for another position.

Additionally, UPS is using technology and out-sourcing to eliminate employees especially on the management side.

Maybe @TearsInRain may offer more specific advice.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I am going to copy this thread into the "UPS Partners" forum which is geared more to management concerns rather than the peanut gallery here in UPS Discussions. :2guns:

Highly unlikely that UPS would have an On-Road supe position which is a Management position.
Go for another position.

Additionally, UPS is using technology and out-sourcing to eliminate employees especially on the management side.

Maybe @TearsInRain may offer more specific advice.

what is that position actually? is it a general term they use for listing?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
what is that position actually? is it a general term they use for listing?
It is specific to frontline supervisors to whom the UPS Package Car drivers report.
Operations management, of which the On-Road supe is just one position, has many P/T supe positions.
Since these are management, promotion to Full-time from Part-time is based on Merit and politics rather than seniority.

Note: I have been retired for over 4 years so I think it would be better to let current management give you insight. However, I will chime in if I think I have some of value to add.

It is specific to frontline supervisors to whom the UPS Package Car drivers report.
Operations management, of which the On-Road supe is just one position, has many P/T supe positions.
Since these are management, promotion to Full-time from Part-time is based on Merit and politics rather than seniority.

Note: I have been retired for over 4 years so I think it would be better to let current management give you insight. However, I will chime in if I think I have some of value to add.

In general, do they only offer PT to start?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In general, do they only offer PT to start?
Also, the friend/T On-Road position is the highest paid supervisor position within UPS Ground Operations.
It also has the longest hours, most stress and you have to deal with Union employees and Little Hitler Shop Stewards. If you live in a RTW state, then the stress and stewards are more reasonable.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
you sound as qualified as any outside hire can be, though UPS still has a vicious learning curve

i would contact your local UPS HR and see what they say as it'll be up to them anyways

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hi guys.. if I missed this in the FAQ or a sticked thread please direct me...

I have 9 years experience in the courier industry.. dealing with routes/drivers and parcels .. and many more types of service.. I have a 4 year degree and have managed my own facility of ~50 employees.. about 40 of them drivers (40 routes). I was responsible for budgets, service, KPI's, OT management-labor cost, hiring, firing, customer service issues ( I basically covered like 3 different positions LOL). I came up from the bottom driving.

I had to quit my position in a non-public company due to my father having an illness in which he did not make it out of... I am looking to start a new career because I have moved into my father's house and do not want to commute from the IE to OC..

I would like to enter your organization because I have always looked at UPS as a bar setter as far as the consumer sees LOL ( I know you guys have your issues)

I had seen this ad online and was wondering if this is a good gateway into UPS management... I would like to know..

1. Can I , off the street, enter into any type of FT sup/management positions or do I have to start PT?

3. based on my general description of my background, iam I over qualified or under qualified?

Thanks guys .. stay hydrated :2guns:
How many hours did you work at the other job? I ask because our number watchers work a lot more than 40 every week, and if you have a family member that needs help, that may be a problem.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Depends. In the bigger cities you would be hard pressed to find a job as an On Road Sup because the talent pool is pretty deep. But I've seen it in a smaller building in the middle of nowhere before. Granted the guy lasted a month.
Again, depends. But most likely no.
Again, depends on the building. I'm in a highly populated area now and I deal with a lot less stuff than when I lived and worked in the middle of nowhere. You aren't as deep supervisor wise in those smaller buildings so the workload is a lot higher.
Depends on your situation and goals. I personally love my job. It's challenging, but it suits me well. But it really is not for everyone.
Again, it depends. I got exceptional performer on all of my performance reviews when I was PT and my rate was never at what the garbage PT Sups in my current facility make. I will say I got a big COLA when I moved from the midwest to the east coast.

Sorry to hear of your father's passing. He raised a wonderful son. Putting people's needs before your own is an incredible character trait, one you don't see often and one you wish more people had.

I bet he was super proud of you until his last moment in this earthly realm. Good on you dude best of luck in your endeavors.

I just got a call from HR... they want a 2 day a week guy for weekends.. they are rolling out ground for weekends.. they wanted me to come in tomorrow for a interview but I have a dental issue that may take till Friday... I am trying to get an interview for next week.. can anybody open up some facts about this position? or this type of billet in UPS.. thanks :) P.S. they are saying its like 17 an hour? seems kinda low but, I am looking at the future picture.

ManInBrown

Best route for you to take would be as a casual off the street driver. They love turning casuals into management. I've seen a few go right from casual after driving for 30 days into a management position.

I asked the HR rep about advancement .. I just asked like in a sense --what is the REAL down to earth time frame of advancement is in terms of going FT--... and he did not really give me a solid response.. but that's to his credit because I know there are so many variables at hand... like what area you are in.. the need.. the trend of volume ... also terminations/retires ect ect.. I asked him about possibly transferring out of state and if that was a way to gain FT faster but I guess the region for internal transfer stops in NV (I am in SO cal) and after NV it goes into another region.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I asked the HR rep about advancement .. I just asked like in a sense --what is the REAL down to earth time frame of advancement is in terms of going FT--... and he did not really give me a solid response.. but that's to his credit because I know there are so many variables at hand... like what area you are in.. the need.. the trend of volume ... also terminations/retires ect ect.. I asked him about possibly transferring out of state and if that was a way to gain FT faster but I guess the region for internal transfer stops in NV (I am in SO cal) and after NV it goes into another region.
Advancement has always been screwy in management. I had a buddy who walked in one day and they said he had to complete the MRE, his resume, and get a suit for the interview that day, and he didn't get promoted for another year.

Mine they told me to take the test Friday, I got interviewed and promoted the following Tuesday. You just never know