P25

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I cut a hole in the roof of the 700 series truck.we have no spares to the bulkhead door. I have done this before since the keys have been a on going situation. last year I did it to make service. I was given a pat on the back and told good job. Now I was told to make a statement hand over my ID gas card and told I was on suspension.

Discipline, as always, is arbitrary and capricious. If a favorite does something bad, it is overlooked, but if you are on the Sheetlist, they're on it like flies on a cowpie. Again, please note everything you hear or say that isn't kosher in a notebook or on your phone. Like you said, you did it before and got an "attaboy", so they've got nothing.

Here's a concrete example of how it works. I snapped a cellphone pic of a manager taking a hit of booze from a bottle he had stashed in his car in the parking lot. Same manager tries to write me up 6 months later for something bogus. I whip out my phone and show him the picture, and say nothing. Issue resolved, matter dropped.

STFXG

I cut a hole in the roof of the 700 series truck.we have no spares to the bulkhead door. I have done this before since the keys have been a on going situation. last year I did it to make service. I was given a pat on the back and told good job. Now I was told to make a statement hand over my ID gas card and told I was on suspension.

Discipline, as always, is arbitrary and capricious. If a favorite does something bad, it is overlooked, but if you are on the Sheetlist, they're on it like flies on a cowpie. Again, please note everything you hear or say that isn't kosher in a notebook or on your phone. Like you said, you did it before and got an "attaboy", so they've got nothing.

Here's a concrete example of how it works. I snapped a cellphone pic of a manager taking a hit of booze from a bottle he had stashed in his car in the parking lot. Same manager tries to write me up 6 months later for something bogus. I whip out my phone and show him the picture, and say nothing. Issue resolved, matter dropped.

Yeah, right...

CJinx

Holy ****!

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I bet, tomorrow, we'll all be signing statements saying "I will not cut a hole in the roof of my truck".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah, right...

The manager in question undid himself with an alcohol-related act within the year. It was well-known he was an active alcoholic, as are more than a few other managers out there. Since you are unfamiliar with the environment at Express, let me enlighten you. You can and will be disciplined and/or fired for the smallest of violations, especially repeated small violations or one "big" one. What constitutes "big" is largely at the discretion of management. All it takes is for one person to call-in and say you told them to eff-off, flipped them off on the road or ogled them. None of it has to be even remotely true, and you can and will be seriously disciplined or fired. If you RTB before or after your scheduled time, you can be written-up. In fact, it's bewildering to even think of all the violations one can receive as a FedEx employee.

That said, having some "insurance" is just being smart. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but it is. We have managers who don't even know policy applying it all the time, with disastrous results for good employees who try and do a decent job. This is why you need to document anything and everything you see that is inconsistent with policy. If Courier A, who is a major ass-kisser, doesn't get written-up for an incorrect RTB time, neither should you. That needs to be written down somewhere in a notebook. A picture or video is even better, and if you get an opportunity like I did, you take it. So do things like managers boffing hot female employees, accidents that get "forgotten" for certain people, and functional alcoholics who drink on company property and then try and nail you with some 2-bit violation of policy. My devoutly Christian senior manager had affairs with 3 separate women during a 2 year period, even when his wife was pregnant. Class act. I would use that information against him only if I had to, but I would definitely use it. I have several videos of our local ramp at peak that make the monitor-tosser of YouTube fame look like an amateur. I have video of an employee being hit by a 75# crate which was tossed over a 4-foot high mound of pkgs as a senior manager looks on. I also have video of smaller packages being smashed as handlers yell-out the word "incoming", and heave huge heavy boxes onto all of the Amazon, Apple etc down below, smashing them flat. When I quit or get fired, this goes on YouTube.

It pays to have dirt on people who will gladly toss you under the bus to save their own ass. This is the reality of Express.

Btn1969

Well I got the call from my less than awesome manager. Was told to come in thirty min early. So I would assume I'm getting a letter or caned in the morning. I will let y'all know!

Ricochet1a

Well I got the call from my less than awesome manager. Was told to come in thirty min early. So I would assume I'm getting a letter or caned in the morning. I will let y'all know!

That means you still have a job and will work tomorrow. If you DIDN'T have a job, you'd be coming in at mid-day, and met by the senior manager and HR and given your termination notice.

The 30 minutes early will be a meeting where the event will be discussed, you MAY (not necessarily) be instructed to make a written statement (doubtful though), and you'll be given either an OLCC or Warning Letter with NO unpaid time.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Lol fired.

I hope not and don't think they will, but if they do, it might be a logical question to ask why you were praised for doing it before and fired for doing it now? That would seem to be an inconsistent application of policy. Also, are you aware of anyone else who has ever had to do this? It does seem kind of extreme to do what you did, but I have also seen people cut into AMJ curtains when a J was stuck in a CTV and that was the only way to get it out. If it had been me, I would have called my manager and put it on them. Good luck.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I can see cutting into the trailer curtain to facilitate the removal of a hopelessly stuck can, but being that this was a predicament of his own creation, they probably start to wonder how many times he's going to saw a hole into a company vehicle whenever he locks his keys inside...that's ballzy I'll give him that!... I too would have called my manager and had him make the call. To be honest, I'm really amazed he got a pat on the back for a job well done the first time around - I think any manager I've ever had, instead of lauding me for my innovative thinking, would have quickly pointed out to me that the keys didn't get locked in there by themselves. (unless I've missed something here)

hypo hanna

​This is a perfect example of why you should never go above and beyond to make service. What was acceptable and even praised the first time gets him written up the second time. Assuming this story is true, I bet they were lining up their ducks to fire the OP. going through his employment history and found the attaboy for the same thing.

Ricochet1a

Our OP hasn't posted back what happened at his meeting this AM....

I'm sure he still has his job, was just kind of expecting a situation report after 30+ responses to his original posting...

Ricochet1a

Well... what did happen? You logged on here a couple of days after your meeting on the 10th of May, but no post....

After the fuss, you should at least come back and state what happened (good, bad or indifferent). You asked for help, received the best the forum could offer and have some expectation of letting everyone know what happened so they can benefit from your experience.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well... what did happen? You logged on here a couple of days after your meeting on the 10th of May, but no post....

After the fuss, you should at least come back and state what happened (good, bad or indifferent). You asked for help, received the best the forum could offer and have some expectation of letting everyone know what happened so they can benefit from your experience.

I'd also like to know. If they were fired, I'm assuming they'd be back here asking for help. I think your scenario sounds logical...that they were disciplined and returned to work.