package car drivers

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I cant start my diesel in 2nd gear, or it has no power. I have to use the creeper, but thats coz its always so full!!! The other drivers who cover for me tear up the clutch every time. When I ask the mechanic why he says its coz they dont use 1st. I dont know how they drive it? And I think if you start out in 2nd, at your test, they may fail you.
The other thing, (and I learned to drive on a stick when I was 14.) If I think about it, I will roll on a hill. If I just follow the methods, it walks right up. If I look and see some idiot is right on my bumper, I get all nervous, and feel like I Just know Im gonna roll. Stay focused, and you will learn it in a minute.

wily_old_vet

That statement alone probably accounts for people's lack of "stick familiarity".

You're right browniehound, manual transmissions are fairly rare. It's considered both bone stock in a cheap car, and a performance option in sportscars. I had a '02 TransAm WS6 with an auto... the manual transmission was another grand or so and I was already WAY over what my wife wanted me to spend on a car. I didn't think I'd mind that much, but after that no more. Can't stand auto... not even in package cars.

Canon-As a owner of a '02 TA w\WS6 with a six speed manual I have to say that if you're dealer wanted to charge you an extra $1000 for a manual trans they must have seen you coming. I'm looking at my sticker and there is no extra charge for the 6 speed. Yes 4 speed auto was standard. I did pay $325 for the Hurst shifter option.:thumbup1:

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
OK this is from an automotive perspective.
Your center manager has a quarterly maintenance budget on all vehicles in his/her center. Every time we as automotive works on the cars, your center manager in charged money from that budget ie... pmi's, tires, etc...
Here in Mesquite the current labor rate is $68.00 per hour, that is what automotive charges back to the centers, or feeders for working on package car, tractors, trailers, or back to the hub if we fix something in the shop.
So lets say I have to put a clutch in a package car. parts are as follows for a p1000 international w/t444e engine. Flywheel, clutch kit, release bearing, pilot bearing, and shift lever.
Total parts approx $ 800.00. Labor will be approx 4 hours give or take depends on a couple of things. if car has the auto lube system etc...
OK the grand total is parts 800.00
labor 272.00
total 1072.00

Now taking off in second gear will reduce life of clutch by 70% so instead of replacing clutch at a 2 year interval now we are back to about every nine months, not taking into account driving around w/foot on clutch pedal keeping release bearing engaged( bearing is not designed to turn at speeds on highway ) Not a very economical decision.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Ask Permission From Mgmnt 1st Then Grab A Friend Who Can Drive Briwnie Help You In The Yard After Work !!!