Package handler options

Dale1978

I have been working as a package handler for 18 months now and am starting to believe I am unable to continue with the job. I was a bit older when I was hired and my body just doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the demands of it.
I have gone to the company doctor and they cannot find anything wrong with me. My plan is to give notice and find something else less physically demanding but did wonder if there are any other options.
I enjoy UPS and its benefits but just can't keep up.
Any tips?
Thanks

billerz

Slowing down your pace should help a lot. Sign the bid sheets to transfer positions if they do that in your area.

Dale1978

Thanks for your replies guys. I did have a work related injury a few months back. I was on light duty for three months but have been released by the doctor. My hip continues to hurt and I am worried I am wrecking my body.
If I did go to a non UPS doctor what would happen if they did discover an injury. Would I be able to challenge the UPS doctors?
I would love to be able to slow down the pace but any time I do I have my supervisor on my tail. What would happen if I just ignored him? Would I be fired?
Oh, I am 38 and not really interested in a full time driving job due to family obligations.

km3

Thanks for your replies guys. I did have a work related injury a few months back. I was on light duty for three months but have been released by the doctor. My hip continues to hurt and I am worried I am wrecking my body.
If I did go to a non UPS doctor what would happen if they did discover an injury. Would I be able to challenge the UPS doctors?
I would love to be able to slow down the pace but any time I do I have my supervisor on my tail. What would happen if I just ignored him? Would I be fired?
Oh, I am 38 and not really interested in a full time driving job due to family obligations.

Doubtful. They'll just say you weren't following the methods. Speaking of which, follow them and work safe. If you're pestered about your speed, just say you're working as quickly and as safely as you can. Don't be a hero. It's the entire job description for PT sups to get people off the clock as fast as they can, and that necessarily means trying to keep employees as "productive" as possible.

Here's Article 37, section 1(a), from the National Master Agreement for your enjoyment.

"The parties agree that the principle of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer's interest. The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise an employee in the performance of his or her duties. The Employer shall not retaliate against employees for exercising their rights under this Agreement. In considering any grievance alleging retaliation for exercising his rights under the Agreement, the severity and timing of the Employer's actions that modify an employee's work assignment or reprimand employees shall be relevant factors to a determination of motivation. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee. Employees will also treat each other as well as the Employer with dignity and respect.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
UPS light duty for 3 months? since when? It is my understanding that we are limited to 30 days light duty...and if you still can't return to full duty, you have to go out on comp.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Those jobs are all held by 8+ year seniority people in my building.

If preloading is too much for you, you will not be able to do FT driving either.
agreed...good luck getting moved to small sort after 18 months...unless there are employees with less than 18 months seniority working there. It took me 9 years.

Dale1978

No, I was truly on light duty for almost three months before the doctor released me. I am now back to loading trucks. Perhaps different areas cover it differently.