Paid 10 minute breaks how does that work

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Ohioups, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Ohioups

Ohioups New Member

ive always just went into the diad and took 2 10 min breaks back to back and figured they would be paid but I see they take that as me just taking a lunch do you put it in as something else?

2. CoolStoryBro

CoolStoryBro Member

You do not enter anything into the DIAD for a paid 10 minute break.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  3. Wilson1397

Wilson1397 Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!

It’s in other work. V=paid break

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Benben

Benben Active Member

Me thinks you are and have been doing something wrong!

5. 2033

2033 Active Member

It seems that different areas have different rules. Ours is set up where you enter breaks and lunch under the break/lunch option in the time card menu. Breaks are paid, lunch is not. We even have two spots for lunch, so we could split it up if we wanted.

6. CoolStoryBro

CoolStoryBro Member

Where I'm at if you enter your break into the break/lunch area then that is an unpaid break.
    According to our steward we enter nothing and just take our break.

7. 2033

2033 Active Member

My only concern with that would be if a new center manager came in and decided you were stealing time because you were not documenting your breaks, interpret that as a cardinal sin and fire people as a result. According to some people they would be completely justified in doing so, but you would probably still get your job back.

8. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

Your steward is wrong

9. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

Sure...after losing 3 weeks of work while they "investigate" it.
    Someone said "breaks" should be entered under "other work".

It would benefit everyone to use that option.

10. 2033

2033 Active Member

They should be entered under breaks/lunch. The other work option would be an acceptable back up, I would think. But ultimately center management needs to fix it so you get paid appropriately for entering your breaks in the proper location. For anyone who has not been getting paid for your breaks when you entered them correctly, and your location requires paid breaks, you need to inform management of the shortage in writing. If they don't fix it, then file a grievance. It should give management an incentive to fix your board inputs.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  11. PappyLand

PappyLand Member

You get 10 minute breaks?

12. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

We never entered the first 2 paid breaks in the diad, only lunch. That's what we were instructed to do. We have a 3rd break provision, that's available after 10 hours, provided you took the first two in their correct time slots. For whatever reason - tracking those who actually took the break I assume - we were instructed to code that one (the 3rd) out in other work.
    A few times drivers here mistakenly put personal time in the "break" slot and got reamed for not getting it approved first. Here, they want that spot used for approved Dr appointments etc.

13. Benben

Benben Active Member

MC....Is that for Feeders? I am not aware of any region that has 3 breaks allowed spelled out in their supplement for package!

14. MAKAVELI

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

State law in Cali.

15. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

Either one. It's for any FT employee in the Western Region in JC 28. This is from the JC 28 Rider, Art I, Sec 1, D.

IMAG1345.jpg

16. Tiredbrown

Tiredbrown Professional box jockey

Where I am your 10 min paid break goes in as other work code v paid break

17. Clock Sucker

Clock Sucker I handle a lot of packages

We used to code it that way, then they put the break and lunch time in the same screen.

18. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

How does that work if the "break" is paid and the "lunch" isn't?

19. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

We have had this setup for years and I have never lost the 10 minutes.

20. 2033

2033 Active Member

It's how they set it up in the computer. The diad information is downloaded when it's in the docking station. The time keeping information is uploaded to the payroll system. If the "break" field in your diad is either not present, or not configured to populate the correct field in payroll, then it will not work properly. I have never seen how they make these changes, but I know it is handled at the center level and I'm fairly certain the OMS' have access to make the changes. Just like changing the DR location options available.