Panel Interview Scenario's

J

Jdog32

Is there anyone out there that could give me examples of scenarios that may be asked on the Panel Interview. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks

dragracer66

Is there anyone out there that could give me examples of scenarios that may be asked on the Panel Interview. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Yea I think I can help. The first question usually is. Are you ready to become over worked send your people home just to save some money and then you have to finish there job then have to answer a grievence because you where caught doing there job? The second question is. Do you realize that you now have to pay for health care and you don't have the security of the union anymore and at the drop of a hat you have to pack up your family and be sent anywhere at anytime? The third question is. Are you prepared to work here with the promise that "someday" you could move up? I hope this helps you with the panel interview!!!!:wink2:

drewed

Shankman
Its opinion based questions about work, ethics and such. think through youre answers if they give you paper USE it theyll expect you to outline your thoughts about it....

ImpactedTSG

Yea I think I can help. The first question usually is. Are you ready to become over worked send your people home just to save some money and then you have to finish there job then have to answer a grievence because you where caught doing there job? The second question is. Do you realize that you now have to pay for health care and you don't have the security of the union anymore and at the drop of a hat you have to pack up your family and be sent anywhere at anytime? The third question is. Are you prepared to work here with the promise that "someday" you could move up? I hope this helps you with the panel interview!!!!:wink2:
You forgot the other questions such as, can you accept being in a climate controlled office while others are sweating in a hot trailer? Are you willing to work hard and still be able to walk upright without knee and hip replacements when you retire? Would you be willing to accept company stock in return for the long hours you put in? Do you want to make decisions or have others tell you when you can go to the bathroom or get a drink? Are you willing to not have part of your paycheck go to an organization that will keep someone that works 1/2 as hard as you do in a better position just because they have been doing to job longer?Hope that helps as well. :wink2:

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
They might ask you some very tricky questions like this one." how much are you willing to sell your soul to the company?" Think about it before you answer the question.:devil3:

you also forgot "are you willing to forfeit all rights, and become the center managers personal asst. and go pick up his coffee, cigs, etc." and "are you willing to put UPS over your family friends and future". goodluck:happy-very:

rocket man

you let your union rep do all the talking every time your asked a question focus on what your going to say. first always say your name first thats mandentory then keep it brief, look right in the in themiddle of the four people remember two our from the union. two are from the company. the questions are only are gonna be about the case aT HAND NOTHING more thats all they care about ..this is bad that you have to go to this but out of ups as a whole this is gonna the the fairest thing you will go thru with the company the people who are gonna judge you are there for that. if it goes dead lock dont worry you will have one more hearing i think you will beok good luck.

browniehound

Ok, Drag, those are the "cons" of the job. I know the cons of being management, but I would be more interested in learning the "pros" of going into management. ImapctedTSG posted a few, but I was hoping Tie could chime in here, please:peaceful:.

Its funny, the way people talk about the panel interview, I'm beginning to think one sentence can get you black-balled from the promotion process. Is this true?

Its beginning to appear to me like a mafia induction ceramony:wink2:.

So, Mr. Browniehound do you have any loyalty or symapthy to your former organization, the teamsters?

"umm, yeah I liked having union protection"

UPS commision: See ya pal, you're history, LOL.

ImpactedTSG

Its funny, the way people talk about the panel interview, I'm beginning to think one sentence can get you black-balled from the promotion process. Is this true?
I went through it and passed before I left and it was pretty easy. Just use common sense, be honest, and remember UPS has a ZERO TOLERANCE policy towards harassment.

BrownSuit

I think you might get asked what the word INTEGRITY means to you. I would research that one a lot.

ImpactedTSG

I think you might get asked what the word INTEGRITY means to you.
Integrity at UPS is a joke. I've seen countless fudged numbers or loopholes exploited to meet unrealistic BSC goals. So many promotions are based on who you drinking buddies are. One time a female with less experience and ability was promoted over several more qualified guys that had already passed their panel interview. They needed to add a female to an all male supervisor team. Instead of coming out and saying we needed a female, they tried to say she was the most qualified for the position. Yes, integrity is a joke at UPS.

trickpony1

Be sure to tell the panel there is no greater honor in this life, or the next, than being in management for this company.

You'll have a tie on in no time!

tieguy

Banned
I think you might get asked what the word INTEGRITY means to you. I would research that one a lot.

good point. Why would you want to know the questions ahead of time if they are not giving you or the other applicants that information. I think you have already failed the integrity test by asking.

browniehound

I think about applying for management all the time. Being a driver my job consists of some mindless work (like walking down a 1/16 of a mile driveway that you can't drive in), which gives me a ton of time to think. This is one aspect of the driving job I really like. There is plenty of time to enjoy your thoughts :happy2:.

Seriously though, I'd like a challenge. My route is not a challenge. Going out bling on a route was a challenge and I hated it at the time, but at the end of the day it was satisfying.

The problem with attempting management is the potential to lose what I have now. I'm not getting rich and I'm not using my brain, but I'm OK with the 'status quo'. All I need to do is drive the truck for 20 (roughly) years and I will retire comfortably!!!

We are lucky as teamsters (for now) at UPS. The plan I have is my mind is continue the 401k deduction I have been doing and participate in the UPS discounted stock offer program.

Then, hopefully I can collect a pension and social security.

What if I screwed up in management? I would lose that financial security.
I like the driving job at times and I know if I continue I will be happy at age 57. I'm almost 35 now and its probably too late to change my course.

I wish everyone luck who takes the management path.

UPS Lifer

Go into the interview and answer the questions or scenarios the way your heart tells you to answer them. Do not try and anticipate what the panel wants you to say.

They will look for sincerity and honesty in your answers. Act and talk as a manager would. Always conduct yourself the way the next level above the position you are seeking does. Have a professional presence and demeanor and confidence in your skill set.

That leads to another question. Know what your strong skills and weak skills are. Knowing your weakness is important....how will you fix this if you can't recognize it???

Where do you see yourself in 5 years. What are your goals inside and outside the company???

Why do I want you to be a supervisor for me..... and PLEASE do not tell me because you are a "hard worker" !!! I used to hear this at every interview and panel...it was laughable and so unimaginative.

Understanding basic concepts such as integrity, sexual harassment and all the different types of less obvious discrimination such as working with friends or ex-coworkers will also be helpful. They will look at you to see how you will solve problems. What have you accomplished outside UPS? What is your value system?

tieguy

Banned
I think about applying for management all the time. Being a driver my job consists of some mindless work (like walking down a 1/16 of a mile driveway that you can't drive in), which gives me a ton of time to think. This is one aspect of the driving job I really like. There is plenty of time to enjoy your thoughts :happy2:.

Seriously though, I'd like a challenge. My route is not a challenge. Going out bling on a route was a challenge and I hated it at the time, but at the end of the day it was satisfying.

The problem with attempting management is the potential to lose what I have now. I'm not getting rich and I'm not using my brain, but I'm OK with the 'status quo'. All I need to do is drive the truck for 20 (roughly) years and I will retire comfortably!!!

We are lucky as teamsters (for now) at UPS. The plan I have is my mind is continue the 401k deduction I have been doing and participate in the UPS discounted stock offer program.

Then, hopefully I can collect a pension and social security.

What if I screwed up in management? I would lose that financial security.
I like the driving job at times and I know if I continue I will be happy at age 57. I'm almost 35 now and its probably too late to change my course.

I wish everyone luck who takes the management path.

its an interesting argument I often hear. I have yet to see a case where a hard working partner in the business gets fired for a screw up. I know I will now hear every other possible scenario imaginable but in 26 years I have yet to see it.

One thing the detractors of management often don't know is management also has a grievance process available with a decision by an impartial arbitrator at the end of it.

I've seen it used successfully in cases where a management person was demoted.

browniehound

its an interesting argument I often hear. I have yet to see a case where a hard working partner in the business gets fired for a screw up. I know I will now hear every other possible scenario imaginable but in 26 years I have yet to see it.

One thing the detractors of management often don't know is management also has a grievance process available with a decision by an impartial arbitrator at the end of it.

I've seen it used successfully in cases where a management person was demoted.

Tie,
Thanks for your response. I didn't know there is a grievence process for managers. I just assumed if somebody thought you screwed up or you were not liked by somebody in the organization, then your job would be threatened with no re-course.

I have a 4-year degree in a specific field and have been thinking about trying to use it at UPS for some time now. The department I would be targeting is plant engineering.

I don't want to be an on-car sup or work in any capacity that has to do with package divsion. I would, however, be open to accepting a job in the P.E. department.

If I have to go the route of on-car supervisor to achieve a job in P.E., then I would rather stay a driver. I know this may hurt my chances of advancement, but its the way I feel.

pretzel_man

Tie,
Thanks for your response. I didn't know there is a grievence process for managers. I just assumed if somebody thought you screwed up or you were not liked by somebody in the organization, then your job would be threatened with no re-course.

I have a 4-year degree in a specific field and have been thinking about trying to use it at UPS for some time now. The department I would be targeting is plant engineering.

I don't want to be an on-car sup or work in any capacity that has to do with package divsion. I would, however, be open to accepting a job in the P.E. department.

If I have to go the route of on-car supervisor to achieve a job in P.E., then I would rather stay a driver. I know this may hurt my chances of advancement, but its the way I feel.

Brownie:

I've been with UPS 32 years. 30 in management, and like Tie said, I've yet to see a hardworking honest person fired for a mistake. I've made a few big ones myself.

On the other hand, I think some of your requirements can hold you back.

You can desire to work in a certain function, but there is no guarantee that UPS' needs won't change.

During the career development process a good manager will ask your preferences for job position. That manager won't make any promises however.

For instance, you mention P.E. The P.E. function has changed much over the last few years. P.E., Automotive, and I.E., have pretty much merged into an Engineering function.

Plant Engineers who thought they knew their next step, had to adjust to the new situation.

These things go along with the territory. If you choose to go into management, go knowing that your job may change as the business needs change.

I've worked multiple districts, regions, and functions. Now, looking back those different experiences made me better.

Best of luck to you,

P-Man