Pardon me while I go puke

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The other day, our so-called "safety committee" reached a new low of stupidity and immaturity.
At the PCM, our center manager put a candy bar on the floor on front of each driver. A Safety Committee member then led us all in a rousing game of "Simon says" using the 5 Keys to Lifting and Lowering. You could only get your candy bar if you followed the steps correctly in lifting the candy bar off the ground. It was pretty amazing really, looking around at 40 grown up adults being paid $45 an hour on overtime to play a childs game for candy. Maybe next week we will get a sock-puppet show, or perhaps a Safety Clown will show up and hand out balloons.
I find it insulting and hypocritical that we get this drivel from the same company who made a business decision that the life of the driver was NOT worth the $30 extra it would have cost to equip its older vehicles with a 3 point seat belt.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

The other day, our so-called "safety committee" reached a new low of stupidity and immaturity.
At the PCM, our center manager put a candy bar on the floor on front of each driver. A Safety Committee member then led us all in a rousing game of "Simon says" using the 5 Keys to Lifting and Lowering. You could only get your candy bar if you followed the steps correctly in lifting the candy bar off the ground. It was pretty amazing really, looking around at 40 grown up adults being paid $45 an hour on overtime to play a childs game for candy. Maybe next week we will get a sock-puppet show, or perhaps a Safety Clown will show up and hand out balloons.
I find it insulting and hypocritical that we get this drivel from the same company who made a business decision that the life of the driver was NOT worth the $30 extra it would have cost to equip its older vehicles with a 3 point seat belt.

That is hilarious and insulting. Why couldn't they just use a damn package? :knockedout: I can only imagine that PCM....

Average at Best

You're kidding, right?

You should suggest a game of Red Light, Green Light incorporating the seeing habits. And then maybe afterwards, storytime, a carton of warm milk, and a nap.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
this is not your father's UPS yrs ago at pcm we had a sup run off about pre-trips, he was right until he came to the part of how he even pre-trips his bathroom at home,,is there enough toilet paper, enough towels,enough toothpaste......... i thought i was gonna piss my self laughing!!! UPS,,, we cant make this up:sick:

soberups

You're kidding, right?

You should suggest a game of Red Light, Green Light incorporating the seeing habits. And then maybe afterwards, storytime, a carton of warm milk, and a nap.
The sad part is, I'm not making this up.
We have "footprint" stickers on the floor leading to a room they call the "safety zone" which is full of posters, stickers and slogans. There is a TV there playing a safety movie continuously on DVD.
We have a checkered flag and a green flag over the office of the center that has gone the longest without an accident or injury.
We have a Safety Committee guy making $45 an hour on OT to put stickers on the windshield of each package car with the "safety slogan" of the day.
What we have...is a program that would be great for teaching a 2nd grader how to go pee pee and wash his hands all by himself like a big boy. It is not a program that is relevant to an adult who is spending 10 hrs a day fighting the equipment that UPS has provided to him.

Average at Best

What we have...is a program that would be great for teaching a 2nd grader how to go pee pee and wash his hands all by himself like a big boy. It is not a program that is relevant to an adult who is spending 10 hrs a day fighting the equipment that UPS has provided to him.

I guess that's where I am incredulous. My cousin uses the same techniques for her kindergarten class. Safety is a culture, not a bunch of gimmicky PCMs or stupid contests. And the fact is, that if UPS wanted to be a world-class safety organization like they claim they do, they'd put safety ahead of production, make sure equipment is in impeccable working order, and reward employees for long-standing safety achievements (like they do for years of accident-free driving) instead of handing out a keychain everytime I make it into the hub without tripping over myself. What a joke!

Fnix

We have "footprint" stickers on the floor leading to a room they call the "safety zone" which is full of posters, stickers and slogans. There is a TV there playing a safety movie continuously on DVD.

lol they do that here too and I've never seen anyone there

rod

Retired 22 years
:puppet::puppet::puppet:sit back - relax- it's Showtime kiddies!!! It's been a long time since anything UPS does has surprised me.

Did you get your candy bar?

Average at Best

Hee hee hee...I just bent over, unwrapped it, took a bite out of it and handed the rest of it to the Safety Committee rep.:laughing:

I bet that candy bar was from the reload - I bet a box of candy bars broke open and they are using the opportunity to nail you for stealing. After all, I can't see the company paying for candy bars when they are regulating how many pens I can buy...

feeder53

ADKtrails
As I see it, that is in the safety peoples lane, and if they want me to pick up a candy bar....so be it. I get paid well and they run the show......I`ll pick up the candy bar.

J

JonFrum

I hope everyone present followed the "Twelve Steps To Unwraping A Candy Bar," to avoid getting a nasty paper cut.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Hee hee hee...I just bent over, unwrapped it, took a bite out of it and handed the rest of it to the Safety Committee rep.:laughing:

I would have bent over, picked it up, and thrown it in the trashcan. Its not "safe" to eat things on the floor................

HazMatMan

I would have bent over, picked it up, and thrown it in the trashcan. Its not "safe" to eat things on the floor................
I was just about to add that when BAM, I see you beat me to the punch. In my building, if you put food on the floor either the rats will get it or the pigeons, true story folks, we have rats AND pigeons in my building (and some turkeys too, lol)

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
I guess that's where I am incredulous. My cousin uses the same techniques for her kindergarten class. Safety is a culture, not a bunch of gimmicky PCMs or stupid contests. And the fact is, that if UPS wanted to be a world-class safety organization like they claim they do, they'd put safety ahead of production, make sure equipment is in impeccable working order, and reward employees for long-standing safety achievements (like they do for years of accident-free driving) instead of handing out a keychain everytime I make it into the hub without tripping over myself. What a joke!

nice post. i agree 100%

soberups

I guess that's where I am incredulous. My cousin uses the same techniques for her kindergarten class. Safety is a culture, not a bunch of gimmicky PCMs or stupid contests.
UPS does not in fact even have an authentic safety program.
What passes for the UPS "safety program"....is in fact nothing more than a scam that is designed to shield UPS from liability, comply with bare-minimum OSHA regs, and above all else shift all responsibility for safety away from UPS and back onto some poor driver who has been provided with equipment and a workload that is intentionally designed to force him into an early retirement or get him killed in an accident.

soberups

My wife is the director of Human Resources at her company. She is also the secretary of their Safety Committee. They have a real safety committee.
A real safety committee....documents unsafe policies, procedures and equipment and informs management so that they can be changed.
UPS's policy for its "safety committees"...is that policies, procedures and equipment are non-negotiable. We wont discuss overcrowding...we wont discuss excessive workloads...we wont discuss unsafe package cars. The only purpose of the "safety committee" in managements eyes is to "raise awareness" thru stickers, cookies, word games, puppet shows etc. In other words, its not what we accomplish that matters...its how good we look on paper pretending to accomplish it.