Pardon me while I go puke

tups

These kind of shenanigans don't just stop with safety comittees.... You should have the 'Skit' that has been put in our center from one of the sales rep managers or whatever title he has. He climbs up on the stairs that goes to the break room, and asks for a volunteer to join him, when no one does, one of the sups gets up there. Then they go into a role playing skit on how to 'interact' with customers in ways that will produce sales leads. This is complete with what should be said, and using FedEx and DHL boxes as props. We should be saying to the customer 'I see you have been using FedEx'..........and on and on. ( I forgot what he said to say ) But it was pretty sad that they got to put on a little role playing skit to drill us on getting sales leads. The following week the same guy does another skit, and followed it up by asking how many guys are going on vacation this year and how would they like some extra money to spend on that vacation. Get some leads and you could have an extra $100 bucks to spend on vacation. So they go from telling us our jobs are in jeopardy if we dont get more business, to giving us acting classes, to bribing us to do the job that a real sales department or business development department should be doing in the first place. However, I will say this. I understand the usefulness of drivers getting leads, we are out there. But like the safety comittee thing, they are just going about all this the totally wrong way. No one will pay attention to any of this if they feel they are being treated like children in kindergarten class.

L

Load Stand

I guess if we had a supervisor demonstrate these methods during a PCM, you would have paid more attention - huh? Or better yet, had them recite them out loud and not demonstrate. We retain much more of what we see than what we hear.

The fact is this unique method of has got your attention. And obviuosly others that are reading this. Yes we have changed. Yes we expect one to work safely and not get hurt, and to drive defensively. Perhaps the pressure of candy bars is too much for you. Perhaps FedEx Ground can use you as one of thier contractors and you can pay fotr all your injuries and accidents yourself? And your own fuel, taxes, and uniforms....

25yrvet

Has anyone else's safety committee handed out the little 3x5 brown quiz cards? Our safety comm was handing them out 3-4 times a week!! A lot of drivers would make a solid straight line down the positive remark column & throw 'em in the box. Not me, I collected them till I had at least 3 dozen and turned 'em all in at once. I had my wife fill out the remarks area on a dozen with her best girly writing, "OH Mr safety Jimmy, I'd love to run my fingers through your balding, thin hair" etc...
My remarks are, "Excessive OT is a safety hazard". The safety comm person's comment to that was, "If he doesn't like the hours he should get another job". Of course the Safety people in my ctr don't mind making the easy $$ ---they'll deliver for 6 hrs and then make charts & graphs for another 4 for a 'full' day. When there's bad weather they'll call in that morning and beg mgt to have an inside saftey day in leiu of driving. Pretty pathetic.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
UPS does not in fact even have an authentic safety program.
What passes for the UPS "safety program"....is in fact nothing more than a scam that is designed to shield UPS from liability, comply with bare-minimum OSHA regs, and above all else shift all responsibility for safety away from UPS and back onto some poor driver who has been provided with equipment and a workload that is intentionally designed to force him into an early retirement or get him killed in an accident.

spot on sober- spot on.

ups has an "out" for every single one of the 8 keys to lifting and lowering, or 5 seeing habits, or whichever one of these "lists" they make us memorize. if something happens the blame the hourly employee for "not following proper methods."

Griff

Yeah, I've noticed it for years, they run the place (safety especially) like a preschool, at least they have preschool teachers teaching us though. Gotta at least give upper management credit for that.

upsgrrl

Mgmt stresses safety, then loads the cars with 11 hours of work, (of course it is only 8 hours on paper!). This way, when you try to rush so you can get home at a decent time, and you get hurt, they can deny your claim because they stressed safety to you! What a joke. Explain to me how a route that a year ago went out with 85 stops and was an 8 hour dispatch, now goes out with 125 stops and is an 8.3 hour dispatch. The only reason UPS talks safety is to cover their butts!

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
It as pretty amazing really, looking around at 40 grown up adults being paid $45 an hour on overtime to play a childs game for candy.

See also: the amount of overtime paid for employees to fill out the useless ERI survey. I refuse to fill it out unless I am being paid OT to do so.

satellitedriver

The other day, our so-called "safety committee" reached a new low of stupidity and immaturity.
At the PCM, our center manager put a candy bar on the floor on front of each driver. A Safety Committee member then led us all in a rousing game of "Simon says" using the 5 Keys to Lifting and Lowering. You could only get your candy bar if you followed the steps correctly in lifting the candy bar off the ground. It was pretty amazing really, looking around at 40 grown up adults being paid $45 an hour on overtime to play a childs game for candy. Maybe next week we will get a sock-puppet show, or perhaps a Safety Clown will show up and hand out balloons.
I find it insulting and hypocritical that we get this drivel from the same company who made a business decision that the life of the driver was NOT worth the $30 extra it would have cost to equip its older vehicles with a 3 point seat belt.
If this really happened, it sounds like someone threw a Baby Ruth in the punch bowl.

UPS does not in fact even have an authentic safety program.
What passes for the UPS "safety program"....is in fact nothing more than a scam that is designed to shield UPS from liability, comply with bare-minimum OSHA regs, and above all else shift all responsibility for safety away from UPS and back onto some poor driver who has been provided with equipment and a workload that is intentionally designed to force him into an early retirement or get him killed in an accident.
Oh man, I was climbing on your band wagon til you got to the the part I put in bold. I do not believe that UPS has designed anything to force people into early retirement. To think the company plans on getting people killed is just ....beyond belief.
Now if you had said "back onto some poor driver who has been provided with equipment and a workload that is ill designed for the task they expect us to preform and install time pressures that contradict safe work methods. I would still be 100% in support of your post.

Something else kinda bothers me also. Many times you have posted that the company refuses to retro fit older package cars with 3 point seat belts at the cost of 30 bucks a pop. I have to wonder if you have indeed done any research on this? The cost of parts alone would run more than that, then you have to add the mechanics wages into the formula. I'm thinking the cost per vehicle would be closer to $300-500. My life is worth more than that (to me anyway) but that would be way too much for UPS(or any other company) to ever consider . Tell ya what, I bet if you did research on UPS automotive accidents and came up with enough data that would prove your assessment that 3 point seat belts would have saved the lives of drivers that have been killed in accidents in UPS equipment, they would come alot closer to granting your wish.
I do not disagree that 3p sb are better than the old lap belts, they clearly are safer.

trickpony1

Oh man, I was climbing on your band wagon til you got to the the part I put in bold. I do not believe that UPS has designed anything to force people into early retirement.

Is that right?

I wonder why the newer package cars have lower steps. Maybe the company got tired of paying for knee replacements.

I wonder why the newer package cars have grab rails on the outside. Again, maybe the company got tired of paying for knees and shoulders.

I wonder why the company retro fitted the older 26 foot trailers so the back door doesn't go all the way down below dock level when closed. Maybe the company got tired of paying for back injuries, shoulder injuries, etc. The 26 foot trailers may have been before your time and have since been replaced with newer 28 foot trailers with the "closed door height" at or near dock level.

I wonder why the company started counterweighting the dollies. Maybe they got tired of paying for back and knee injuries of feeder drivers.

I wonder why the company shored up the space between the trailer and the dock with diamond plate? Maybe they got tired of paying for parttimer legs and hips that stepped through the gap.

I wonder why the old GMC Astros with the rigid mount cabs got replaced with newer tractors with air ride cabs. Air ride cabs and conventional tractors, as opposed to "cab over" tractors, have been around forever. Maybe the company got tired of paying for feeder driver's necks and backs.

I wonder why the company started buying tractors with power steering. You guys with non-power steering in PC's think you got problems? Try turning a feeder tractor wheel that doesn't have power steering. Again, the company finally realized that shoulders are kinda expensive.

I wonder why the company has started buying PC's with power steering. Maybe they got tired of paying for shoulders.

I wonder why the car industry (GM, FORD, etc.) put three point harness in their new cars. Maybe they got tired of paying lawsuits from people going through the windshield.

I generally agree with soberups and yourself as both of you have opinions that reflect mine.

Mike Hawk

The crappy lap belts have put the fear of god into me, whenever I help I always plant both feet and push myself back into the seat and grab the hand rail that’s inside the cab, that’s just to make sure I don't fall out going over some pothole filled parking lot.

outamyway

The crappy lap belts have put the fear of god into me, whenever I help I always plant both feet and push myself back into the seat and grab the hand rail that’s inside the cab, that’s just to make sure I don't fall out going over some pothole filled parking lot.

If anything they are a safe driving reminder.

I absolutely do NOT want to get into a serious accident in an older truck with just a lap belt. Doing a face plant into the unpadded steering wheel, smashing the back of my head against the metal wall or god forbid being in a roll over, may be a career ending accident.

feeder53

ADKtrails
As there have been stories of troops with ineffective equipment headed into harms way, UPS is no different than most larger corporate giants. When I was with Leaseway, they too would update at a slow pace due to the economic factors. My first tractor was a Diamond Reo and the cab was rotted right off the frame, no seat belts and the fuel tanks had rusted through. It had an old triplex transmission that took two hands to shift.....It is good that we have this forum to be able to talk about our issues....

brett636

The other day, our so-called "safety committee" reached a new low of stupidity and immaturity.
At the PCM, our center manager put a candy bar on the floor on front of each driver. A Safety Committee member then led us all in a rousing game of "Simon says" using the 5 Keys to Lifting and Lowering. You could only get your candy bar if you followed the steps correctly in lifting the candy bar off the ground. It was pretty amazing really, looking around at 40 grown up adults being paid $45 an hour on overtime to play a childs game for candy. Maybe next week we will get a sock-puppet show, or perhaps a Safety Clown will show up and hand out balloons.
I find it insulting and hypocritical that we get this drivel from the same company who made a business decision that the life of the driver was NOT worth the $30 extra it would have cost to equip its older vehicles with a 3 point seat belt.

The saftey clown is heading to a center or hub near you. We already have it in our hub where the a saftey committee member and or sup will dress up as a clown and run around quizzing people on saftey dribble. Its quite sad.

I wonder what happened to the cool saftey events like saftey cookouts.