Part Time? 30 Hour Rule To Be Enforced

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you're PT, get ready to be slammed with a new emphasis on following the "rule" that keeps part-timers at or below 30 hours. This is truly a genius move because a lot of locations can't cover their operation unless PT employees break 30 regularly. Wonder if any of the Memphites thought about this little glitch before dropping the hammer? Of course, Fred will let you break 30 when it suits his needs, say around December.

Just a rumor, but from a well-placed source. Let's see what the morons in MEM do.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Not the first time they've tried to do this and they always fall flat on their face in the attempt, then 2 months from now it's long forgotten. They were doing this crap 20 years ago when I started and needed the hours.

Just somebody in Memphis trying to look good on one of Fred's reports

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not the first time they've tried to do this and they always fall flat on their face in the attempt, then 2 months from now it's long forgotten. They were doing this crap 20 years ago when I started and needed the hours.

Just somebody in Memphis trying to look good on one of Fred's reports

Yep. We'll see what happens. I know a few part-timers who will call their bluff and just leave when they "need" them to go over hours to cover the operation.

FedEx2000

When I was PT, I NEVER stayed later. Why give FT hours for PT benefits?

The benefits are almost exactly the same, not sure I understand your point here? There are other reasons sure, but the benefits aren't really one of them. I worked FT hours while PT for a long time, by my choice. I was in school FT also and had to pay the bills somehow, was much better than trying to work 2 jobs. I was never forced/threatened to work more than 30 though. This rule usually gets brought back out every few years and after a few months it will go away.....usually happens after peak though. MEM is jumpy b/c we aren't making budget so far this year and volumes have dropped off since the 1st quarter. You might notice some mid-day routes getting pulled/absorbed as well.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When I was PT, I NEVER stayed later. Why give FT hours for PT benefits?

Surprising, coming from you. FedEx depends heavily on the flex factor that part-timers provide. If more people had your attitude, they couldn't get away with it the way they do now.

LTFedExer

The benefits are almost exactly the same, not sure I understand your point here? There are other reasons sure, but the benefits aren't really one of them. I worked FT hours while PT for a long time, by my choice. I was in school FT also and had to pay the bills somehow, was much better than trying to work 2 jobs. I was never forced/threatened to work more than 30 though. This rule usually gets brought back out every few years and after a few months it will go away.....usually happens after peak though. MEM is jumpy b/c we aren't making budget so far this year and volumes have dropped off since the 1st quarter. You might notice some mid-day routes getting pulled/absorbed as well.
Sorry, I didn't mean all benefits. Vacation days, holidays, personal, etc days are paid at 4 hrs as PT. Get used to getting paid 40 hours, then go on vacation and only get 20 hurts. That and the fact that I was/am in a position that I didn't NEED the money like others. I think the new PT'ers think if they show their willing to work 40+ every week, it will help get them a FT position.
Surprising, coming from you. FedEx depends heavily on the flex factor that part-timers provide. If more people had your attitude, they couldn't get away with it the way they do now.
Don't be surprised. My manager said once 'You want FT but don't want to work'. This while I was PT. I simply said one thing has nothing to do with the other. My first 3 weeks as FT I put in ~150 hours and it didn't bother me in the least.

It's the PT'ers that make the decision to work....their not forced.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sorry, I didn't mean all benefits. Vacation days, holidays, personal, etc days are paid at 4 hrs as PT. Get used to getting paid 40 hours, then go on vacation and only get 20 hurts. That and the fact that I was/am in a position that I didn't NEED the money like others. I think the new PT'ers think if they show their willing to work 40+ every week, it will help get them a FT position.

Don't be surprised. My manager said once 'You want FT but don't want to work'. This while I was PT. I simply said one thing has nothing to do with the other. My first 3 weeks as FT I put in ~150 hours and it didn't bother me in the least.

It's the PT'ers that make the decision to work....their not forced.

Sorry, but lots of part-timers are forced to work when they don't want to. Most of the time it's intimidation, but many PT people don't understand policy.