"Part Time" Air drivers

got2bh3

We have three part time air drivers in my hub, two of which have been working full time hrs for the past 18 months. My question is should those two positions be two new full time jobs? Bidable by senior employees? Even though they are air only.

We have three part time air drivers in my hub, two of which have been working full time hrs for the past 18 months. My question is should those two positions be two new full time jobs? Bidable by senior employees? Even though they are air only.
How are they getting FT hours? Delivering ground or working double shifts in the Hub? Do you have 22.3 employees?

got2bh3

Yes we have 22.3 positions. They are doing airport shuttle/EAM's/NDA's/12 o'clock commits/Letterboxes. Since covid/peak alot of ground as well

Yes we have 22.3 positions. They are doing airport shuttle/EAM's/NDA's/12 o'clock commits/Letterboxes. Since covid/peak alot of ground as well
Last year our PT air drivers were working 50 to 60 hours a week all year. Since January 1st they are only working their air jobs, 15 to 20 hr/wk. Hired a bunch of 22.4 drivers and training more right now. The company doesn't want to hire a lot of permanent new drivers for a temporary spike in volume. Maybe that is what is happening in your Hub? Only upper management can make the decision to hire more drivers and none of them work in Hubs or Centers.

got2bh3

Last year our PT air drivers were working 50 to 60 hours a week all year. Since January 1st they are only working their air jobs, 15 to 20 hr/wk. Hired a bunch of 22.4 drivers and training more right now. The company doesn't want to hire a lot of permanent new drivers for a temporary spike in volume. Maybe that is what is happening in your Hub? Only upper management can make the decision to hire more drivers and none of them work in Hubs or Centers.
Ok so its everywhere. I dont think it has to do with the spike in volume in our case, all tasks I mentioned need to be covered regardless of volume.

542thruNthru

Not hating at all. Just asking a question. I thought there may be language that states the company needs to put a full time bid up if the job has been 8+ hrs for more then 90 days. It's been 18 months.
Read Article 40 of the NMA. There may be something there but I doubt it. Also ask your BA.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Not hating at all. Just asking a question. I thought there may be language that states the company needs to put a full time bid up if the job has been 8+ hrs for more then 90 days. It's been 18 months.

8 hours for 30 days and it has to be bid in the central

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
@got2bh3 we have similar activities happening here in my local. You’re very much not alone in what you’re seeing. It’s actually happening in multiple buildings here. Some of these “air drivers” worked so many hours for such a long period of time that most opted not to take 22.4 positions, when the position started being created. Had they taken the 22.4 jobs, when 1st created, they would all have 50 plus people junior to them on the full time seniority list. The “air drivers” are being paid top air rate or delivering ground and getting full driver rate for all hours worked. The “air drivers” are actually all preloaders or local sorters that were air qualified. They are considered air exception drivers and we have never had any part time bids posted. The “air drivers” very seldom work the preload or local sort. The reason the majority of them didn’t take 22.4 is that it would have been a massive pay cut. There are a few making over 100k per year. We’ve had multiple bid 22.3 members file due to the “air drivers” doing the same type of work and getting more hours. The company loves it because they work them doing whatever they want whenever they want.

Last edited:
@got2bh3 we have similar activities happening here in my local. You’re very much not alone in what you’re seeing. It’s actually happening in multiple buildings here. Some of these “air drivers” worked so many hours for such a long period of time that most opted not to take 22.4 positions, when the position started being created. Had they taken the 22.4 jobs, when 1st created, they would all have 50 plus people junior to them on the full time seniority list. The “air drivers” are being paid top air rate or delivering ground and getting full driver rate for all hours worked. The “air drivers” are actually all preloaders or local sorters that were air qualified. They are considered air exception drivers and we have never had any part time bids posted. The “air drivers” very seldom work the preload or local sort. The reason the majority of them didn’t take 22.4 is that it would have been a massive pay cut. There are a few making over 100k per year. We’ve had multiple bid 22.3 members file due to the “air drivers” doing the same type of work and getting more hours. The company loves it because they work them doing whatever they want whenever they want.
I have been working FT hours doing air exception and car wash for over 20 years. The last few years a lot of other PT jumped on the gravy train when they saw how much I was making with very little real work. That has all came to an end at least for right now. Why would anyone want to be a 22.4 when you can make more money working PT as an air driver? Thank you Teamsters.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
77aO.gif

Whereistheunion

That is certainly disputable, file a grievance see where it takes you. Let's see how UPS and the UNION settle this misinterpretation of the CONTRACT. I'm sure ( COVID19 PANDEMIC WILL ARISE SEVERAL TIMES AT THE HEARING)

nWo

Occasionally we will have PT air drivers running Saturday ground routes when a bunch of the 22.4 Saturday guys call off.