Part-time Getting Sent to Different Area - Seniority?

wilberforce15

So, for the guy who started the thread:

You can work as directed. And then work badly enough that the new area doesn't want you. Or you can find a reason that age or physical condition doesn't suit the job for you, and imply a possible injury ahead. But don't file one.

Or you can just work as directed.

woltr

So, for the guy who started the thread:

You can work as directed. And then work badly enough that the new area doesn't want you. Or you can find a reason that age or physical condition doesn't suit the job for you, and imply a possible injury ahead. But don't file one.

Or you can just work as directed.
I will work extra "safe" from now on. Thanks for tip.

Its_a_me

I signed up for preferred job, now been in small sort 5 months. When I first started I was okay with it since I was at bottom of seniority list. But since a couple employees quit and they added new employees I moved up the seniority list quite a bit. They keep sending me to help other areas even though I have more seniority than new employees. Recently we also get 2-3 double shifters a couple days a week that is making us overstaffed. I always work as directed.

Do I have grounds for grievance?

The only thing I see is this in Western Supplement:
ARTICLE 4 - SENIORITY
SECTION 3 - RECOGNITION OF SENIORITY The Employer recognizes that the principles of seniority shall be given prime consideration in the every day operation of the business.

And this in SOUTHWEST PACKAGE RIDER:
SECTION 1 – RECOGNITION The Employer recognizes that the principles of seniority shall be given prime consideration in the everyday operation of the business.

Western Region Supplement
Southwest Package and Sort Rider
It depends on your local--do they have a local rider or is it covered under the regional supplement?

In my area it is under the Central Supplement it is Article 3 (Seniority),Section 11 (Part-time--Job Selection Procedure),Paragraph 8
When a part-time employee must be temporarily moved off his/her job to another work area, it shall be by seniority, from those employees qualified and available, in the immediate work area.
So they must ask from the top down and then pull from the bottom up.

If you are in a preferred bid job and have been regularly for 5 months and when directed to leave the area said the following:

"I'd like to exercise my seniority and stay in my permanently bid work area until all those with lower seniority are moved." Then if they moved you; yes, you would have a case for a grievance. Since all positions are now skilled it doesn't matter if they are qualified or not (unless they are on restricted duty) and the sup must pull as needed by inverse seniority. But you can't sit there and disrupt production arguing with them. You go do the job and file the grievance.

Remember, they can still pull you...but they must pull all those with lower seniority first and it sounds like every region has something along those lines.

But if you never exercised your seniority they took it as you volunteered and exercised your seniority to move away temporarily.

brentagon

So Im a part-timer, im a loader. I like to bring our lanuage back the drivers launauge. Which when it comes to recognition of senoirty is exactly the same. RECOGNITION OF SENIORITY The Employer recognizes that the principles of seniority shall be given prime consideration in the every day operation of the business.

And for the same reason that a driver who doen't have a bidded route can use his or her seniorty to bump a lower seniorty driver who doesnt have a bidded route. its as simple as that.
So if im a part timer who doesnt have a bidded prefered job i should have every right to bump a lower seniority part timer who doesnt have a bidded preffred job. like for example the load line. It really upsets me when managment and Shop stewards say work as directed. the launage is CLEAR.

tell me Im wrong? it makes sense right?

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
So Im a part-timer, im a loader. I like to bring our lanuage back the drivers launauge. Which when it comes to recognition of senoirty is exactly the same. RECOGNITION OF SENIORITY The Employer recognizes that the principles of seniority shall be given prime consideration in the every day operation of the business.

And for the same reason that a driver who doen't have a bidded route can use his or her seniorty to bump a lower seniorty driver who doesnt have a bidded route. its as simple as that.
So if im a part timer who doesnt have a bidded prefered job i should have every right to bump a lower seniority part timer who doesnt have a bidded preffred job. like for example the load line. It really upsets me when managment and Shop stewards say work as directed. the launage is CLEAR.

tell me Im wrong? it makes sense right?
Yes, but PTers are expendable. Just WAD safely, claim an injury if rushed