Part time retirement

Brownier

Is anyone retired here part time in central states? I currently work a full time job and part time at ups, just hit my 25 year and I’m burned out! Putting in for retirement after the first of the year just want to know what to expect and have left on my pension check after they take out for insurance and taxes I believe I’m getting somewhere in the neighborhood of $1300 a month! I was told it’s 25 and out in the central state I’m going to be using the insurance for me and my wife so they’re going to take $400 a month, I have no idea how they tax pensions!

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Is anyone retired here part time in central states? I currently work a full time job and part time at ups, just hit my 25 year and I’m burned out! Putting in for retirement after the first of the year just want to know what to expect and have left on my pension check after they take out for insurance and taxes I believe I’m getting somewhere in the neighborhood of $1300 a month! I was told it’s 25 and out in the central state I’m going to be using the insurance for me and my wife so they’re going to take $400 a month, I have no idea how they tax pensions!

Since you are still working I believe they tax pensions as added income, you should have the choice of having it taken out or pay quarterly or at the end of the year. That $400 pension monthly health and welfare for all retirees could go up till you hit 65, then you are booted out of team care with no supplemental coverages.

Too bad you are in the Central..the Western has a better deal for their part timers. Ask for an estimate or apply for your benefits before you decide..your estimate of 1300 take home might be a bit high..

A 25 year part time pension is listed at 1325, if you are over age 60 it is 1625...

Last edited:

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Thank you for your service
🧔✊

Since you are still working I believe they tax pensions as added income, you should have the choice of having it taken out or pay quarterly or at the end of the year. That $400 pension monthly health and welfare for all retirees could go up till you hit 65, then you are booted out of team care with no supplemental coverages.

Too bad you are in the Central..the Western has a better deal for their part timers. Ask for an estimate or apply for your benefits before you decide..your estimate of 1300 take home might be a bit high..

A 25 year part time pension is listed at 1325, if you are over age 60 it is 1625...
His number sound like they're in the ballpark

rod

Retired 22 years
Just don't get discouraged when it appears you are the first one to retire and both the Union and the Company screw things up figuring out how to get you retired. Eventually it will all fall into place but be prepared to make extra phone calls and send emails. Also get used to the phrase " I'll check on that" and then they don't get back to you.

Brownier

Exactly, apparently the company controls the part time pensions and the union carries The retire health insurance, emailed ups retirement department a couple of weeks ago sent me back an estimate saying I had 24.75 years of service and 26 vested years of service, my 25 year anniversary was back in August, The letter said I wasn’t going to hit 25 years of service until after the first of the year, and yes it’s been very confusing might have something to do with me working here before I was 21 I’m assuming that time doesn’t count towards your retirement, I’ve been calling around a while now when I have time, hopefully I’ll have my ducks in a row by the first of the year so I can go ahead and put in my paperwork!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The part-time pension is handled by UPS in Central States. You have to be 65 to get the full amount, you get penalized 6 per cent for every year you retire earlier than that.

The part-time pension is handled by UPS in Central States. You have to be 65 to get the full amount, you get penalized 6 per cent for every year you retire earlier than that.
True unless you hit the milestone years of 25 and out, 30 and out or 35 and out. I know of many PT that receive their full pension and retired well short of 65.