Part time seniority right to bid on part time jobs

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I have worked on the preload as a part timer for 11 years now. I choose not to drive because I have a good 9-5 job. Over the 11 years I have learned and done every job in the building (ie. scanner, clerk, sorter, unloader, loader, and surepost). Every day I have to wake up and wonder about what job I am going to have to do that day, while I watch new hires do the job I've been asking for. For years I have been asking to be able to do sort isle everyday and be left alone, but my supervisors keep telling me that seniority does not exist for part timers. I have gone to my shop stewards for help, but they shrug it off saying they dont know. Really I just think they dont care. So I have been trying to read and find out details, because it would seem that there should be bid lists for certain jobs for preload that I should be able to bid on. I am part of the local 270. I believe we are the Southern Region. I find article 49 section 4 states that there should be bidding going on. In the main agreement it is article 22 section 4 saying I should be able to put my name on the list for a preferred job. Can anyone explain how bidding on part time (ie preload) works and what my rights are exactly? Please.

Have you passed the sort aisle test?

EvlJedi

Ok he was out of line blaming his Shop Steward and should remember that. Let's try and move on. He's also a member that is asking for information.

Someone posted your local # earlier (504) 945-3152. Call your local ask for your BA (business agent). Explain what's going on and ask what you can do about it. Try to remember that unwarranted comments about your steward are ill-advised.

This is the best advice I believe you will get with this problem.
Thank you. Yes, I got the number and have called. He said he was going to make some calls and then call me back. I was not bashing my stewards, I was just stating that they do not appear to be as motivated in helping part time then the full time. I think alot of that is just their knowledge doesnt extend into all of the part time rules. I like my stewards. Just need help from somewhere else, because they do not have the answers is all.

Hellobrown2000

Shop stewards don't get paid extra, a good shop steward is someone who has a general distaste for the company screwing over Union members and is relentless on making them pay. Some though either have no back bone or are floating to retirement so they don't want to bring attention to themselves because alot of them have easy jobs and don't wanna mess that up.

Drink Craft Beer

I've been on the pre-load for almost 16yrs

The only 3 jobs that are preferred jobs / bid positions at my hub are Dcap, Scanner (each package as it comes out of the truck and gets a label) and another scanner who does smalls dumped from forever bags. Surepost is done by the D-cap person and the person scanning smalls when their work's caught up. New hires are sent to either train as a loader or an un-loader. It's not that big of hub.

There's never been seniority for the loaders as in "which area/route you choose to load everyday" at my hub. You load the area they put you at. Some do the same area each day but they move some to load different areas multiple times a week.

Observer

You may have to pin down your BA - if your shop steward is too vague. Document how many times you've contacted them about this - because I believe there is something in the contract where they are not allowed to ignore a legitimate question. Management in the company is like this also. They will put you off. Also, please ignore any of the goofball answers from some of the people posting here. They are the lucky ones who don't have to put up some of the bs others of us have to in our hubs, etc. Hope you can get on the list. I believe the contract states there is a list that goes up every February (or is supposed to)-but there are other lists. You might check some of the older threads on here regarding bid lists. Good luck