Part time seniority right to bid on part time jobs

EvlJedi

I have worked on the preload as a part timer for 11 years now. I choose not to drive because I have a good 9-5 job. Over the 11 years I have learned and done every job in the building (ie. scanner, clerk, sorter, unloader, loader, and surepost). Every day I have to wake up and wonder about what job I am going to have to do that day, while I watch new hires do the job I've been asking for. For years I have been asking to be able to do sort isle everyday and be left alone, but my supervisors keep telling me that seniority does not exist for part timers. I have gone to my shop stewards for help, but they shrug it off saying they dont know. Really I just think they dont care. So I have been trying to read and find out details, because it would seem that there should be bid lists for certain jobs for preload that I should be able to bid on. I am part of the local 270. I believe we are the Southern Region. I find article 49 section 4 states that there should be bidding going on. In the main agreement it is article 22 section 4 saying I should be able to put my name on the list for a preferred job. Can anyone explain how bidding on part time (ie preload) works and what my rights are exactly? Please.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Go to the next union meeting, bring it up. If you don't want to do that, call the hall and talk to a BA.

EvlJedi

Go to the next union meeting, bring it up. If you don't want to do that, call the hall and talk to a BA.
How do I go about calling the Hall? Our union stewards could care less about us part timers and never help me fight for my rights. Now after 11 years I am trying to do it on my own and everything is written in encryption it feels. I need help to learn the proper way to file and the exact articles to write them under, since my steward will not help me.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
How do I go about calling the hall? Our union stewards could care less about us part timers and never help me fight for my rights. Now after 11 years I am trying to do it on my own and everything is written in encryption it feels. I need help to learn the proper way to file and the exact articles to write them under, since my steward will not help me.
go down to your union hall.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you are qualified to be a sorter and someone is sorting with less seniority, file on it. File every single day until they do something about it.
If he's getting paid the extra dollar does he have a case?

It's been a long time since I dealt with part time stuff so this is a serious question.

I thought they could move part timers pretty much where they need them.

EvlJedi

If he's getting paid the extra dollar does he have a case?

It's been a long time since I dealt with part time stuff so this is a serious question.

I thought they could move part timers pretty much where they need them.
I have been getting and reading very mixed opinion/facts (hard to tell which is which) on the topic of if they can just move people around how they like. But that really does not sound right either when this is a seniority based union. Plus it is usually the supervisors that are saying that and well of course they are going to say they can do what they want as long as no one is challenging them to do the right thing. I feel most people do not deal with this issue since most people move on to full time. But I plan on working as part time for the rest of my career. Also, I do pay union dues, and have for over 10 years now.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How do I go about calling the hall? Our union stewards could care less about us part timers and never help me fight for my rights. Now after 11 years I am trying to do it on my own and everything is written in encryption it feels. I need help to learn the proper way to file and the exact articles to write them under, since my steward will not help me.
Is this your local?
Local #270
P. O. Box 3398
New Orleans,
  • Louisiana
(504) 945-3152

If someone is slightly injured or returning to work after a personal issue, and if they have enough seniority, they'll be put at the end of third belt with nothing really over 25 pounds. It's not a list or anything they're just cool with following the pecking order. But yeah, when I was learning scanning, there was one guy who started 15 years ago and another 15 years and a few days. The guy with like 4 days worked always got lighter smalls scanning. This is just management looking out for people. Maybe they don't have any open sort loads to give? Grieve it every day until a no-seniority or low seniority get bumped the fuc|< off.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
How much less could they care?

Oh, btw, you've been PT for 11 years and have no idea how to contact your Local, why should the stewards care, seems you're not very involved until it effects you. This is why you PT guys get hosed every contract.

Your steward sucks too for not doing anything. I'd mention it to the union after you get your preferred job, especially how badly management has been handling this. I'd be livid.

EvlJedi

Oh, btw, you've been PT for 11 years and have no idea how to contact your Local, why should the stewards care, seems you're not very involved until it effects you. This is why you PT guys get hosed every contract.
Are you trying to help or just trolling?

Because the first six months, new hires are paying 25% of their net income every month. I'm at 4 months, now paying 12.5% because more hours and OT. When you guys honestly suggest the working poor are fools for not joining, can you blame them for not literally handing over a paycheck a month to work there?

EvlJedi

Your steward sucks too for not doing anything. I'd mention it to the union after you get your preferred job, especially how badly management has been handling this. I'd be livid.
I am livid. I have let it go on for a long time now and kept asking nicely thinking maybe people will eventually do the right thing, but nothing ever happened. Now I am doing everything I can to figure out the proper way to solve this and make sure I am in the right before I try to file on it.