Part time sup hours will be cut, no more over 5 hours

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The use of the word "promotion" is definitely debatable. That being said, David Abney started with UPS as a package handler and eventually became CEO.
What was his career after college. Most bio's have him loading trucks while in college to CEO?

anonymous23456

So what is your problem in life? LOL

To his surprise, he won a scholarship to Delta State University, which paid half his tuition. He made the daily one-hour commute to school from his parents' house and paid his way through school with a night job as a UPS package loader.

He began college with the idea of becoming a high school history teacher, but a year into working for UPS changed his mind. His manager took an interest in him and one night talked with David about the advantages of working full time for UPS. "I was 19 years old and outside of my mother and grandmother this man was the first person who told me I had real potential. I'm sure he didn't think he was looking at the future CEO of UPS. He just wanted me to consider a new path forward. That's when I became what we in the company call brown-blooded, a true UPSer, someone who believes in UPS as a great company to work for permanently."

During his senior year of college, after changing his major to business, David met Sherry. They married seven months later. Following his graduation in 1976, David and Sherry loaded all their possessions into their Monte Carlo and a U-Haul trailer and moved to the Gulf Coast so that David could accept a UPS driving position. Within three months, UPS made him lead driver and he took over management of the small center. When there wasn't enough work to keep everyone on the payroll, David laid himself off first. "My wife and I were living paycheck to paycheck," he says. "But I thought it was important to put the needs of the people I managed ahead of my own. It wasn't part of any grand plan. I think it was just the work ethic I learned from my father. I was simply trying to do my job to the best of my ability. But looking back, I think it got me noticed."

David's leadership and acceptance of responsibility propelled him steadily up the corporate ladder. He moved his family eight times to accept new positions, which in most cases took him out of the small southern facilities that were his comfort zone. David has held 20 jobs in his 45 years with UPS; 10 of those years he worked nights. "It was just a series of steps up the ladder," he says. "UPS would put me in over my head, and I'd figure out a way to get my chin over the line. I had a lot of help from mentors and the good people who worked for me along the way. Today, young kids look at me cross-eyed when I talk about working for one company for my entire career, but it never felt like that. My experiences were varied. For example, we bought an international freight forwarder, and I ran that. In fact, I ran several acquisitions, and then I became president of UPS International. It was always different jobs with varying degrees of difficulty. I was certainly never bored."

Last edited:

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

So what is your problem in life? LOL

To his surprise, he won a scholarship to Delta State University, which paid half his tuition. He made the daily one-hour commute to school from his parents' house and paid his way through school with a night job as a UPS package loader.

He began college with the idea of becoming a high school history teacher, but a year into working for UPS changed his mind. His manager took an interest in him and one night talked with David about the advantages of working full time for UPS. "I was 19 years old and outside of my mother and grandmother this man was the first person who told me I had real potential. I'm sure he didn't think he was looking at the future CEO of UPS. He just wanted me to consider a new path forward. That's when I became what we in the company call brown-blooded, a true UPSer, someone who believes in UPS as a great company to work for permanently."

During his senior year of college, after changing his major to business, David met Sherry. They married seven months later. Following his graduation in 1976, David and Sherry loaded all their possessions into their Monte Carlo and a U-Haul trailer and moved to the Gulf Coast so that David could accept a UPS driving position. Within three months, UPS made him lead driver and he took over management of the small center. When there wasn't enough work to keep everyone on the payroll, David laid himself off first. "My wife and I were living paycheck to paycheck," he says. "But I thought it was important to put the needs of the people I managed ahead of my own. It wasn't part of any grand plan. I think it was just the work ethic I learned from my father. I was simply trying to do my job to the best of my ability. But looking back, I think it got me noticed."

David's leadership and acceptance of responsibility propelled him steadily up the corporate ladder. He moved his family eight times to accept new positions, which in most cases took him out of the small southern facilities that were his comfort zone. David has held 20 jobs in his 45 years with UPS; 10 of those years he worked nights. "It was just a series of steps up the ladder," he says. "UPS would put me in over my head, and I'd figure out a way to get my chin over the line. I had a lot of help from mentors and the good people who worked for me along the way. Today, young kids look at me cross-eyed when I talk about working for one company for my entire career, but it never felt like that. My experiences were varied. For example, we bought an international freight forwarder, and I ran that. In fact, I ran several acquisitions, and then I became president of UPS International. It was always different jobs with varying degrees of difficulty. I was certainly never bored."

I worked more years than him...and I didn't get squat...:flirtysmile3: