Part-Time Supervisor

govols019

You smell that?
One of our On-Car's was never a driver. Went from IE, to preload sup, to dispatch supervisor, to On-Car. He's as dumb now as he was when he first walked in the door. It's like every day is his first day on the job.

Mapp

Choo Choo
One of our On-Car's was never a driver. Went from IE, to preload sup, to dispatch supervisor, to On-Car. He's as dumb now as he was when he first walked in the door. It's like every day is his first day on the job.

IE to Operations? That man must hate life.

govols019

You smell that?
He's the second one we've had that came from IE. The first one did an outstanding job. Of course he finally had enough of our center manager and quit.

browniehound

Here in Boston, everyone I know in management has driven for at least 30 days.

My opinion is: If you want to advance at UPS beyond the HUB level you must understand the delivery end of the business "hands on". That means being a driver or driver supervisor.

In my opinion 30 days in insufficient. We've all seen these types. Part time management who aspire to become full-time management. Problem is these people can't handle it, so we stick them in customer service or human resources.

The ones that can handle it, ie: the smart ones that can do the driving job, are forever stuck where they are and its a shame:dissapointed:. I'm talking about my immediate supervisers.

They are getting screwed! These people know the ins-and-outs of our delivery business(our life blood!) yet, are not given enough credit for what they truly do.

Its easy to sit back and bash management, especially the frontline like on-car sups. The reality is however, that they are on the same team as us drivers and their hands are tied more than we know.

From what I understand, the drivers are not overdispatced because its our sups (somebody who knows what is going on at the center level). desicion not to add another route. It comes from above the center level to run X amounts of routes.

My gripe is how can someone sitting 200 miles away know the intricacies of my center (small businesses, schools, churches, ect...) enough to say based on this amount of volume you must run X amount of routes.

This where I wish my sup. could actually make some management descions. If we can't make all the businesses, schools, churches and ect..., they upper management should allow us to add a route at the sup's descretion.

At the same time, if the route is not cost effective or not warrranted than said employee should be reprimanded

Part-time sups do not need driving experience. In order to be considered for any management position, the employee must have or currently be *attempting to earn a degree. There are several people in management who do not have a degree and are "attempting" to earn their degree. They must be on the college for life plan...

As far as being a full-time sup, it is not required to have driving experience. This is mainly because there are several positions within management that are not apart of operations. I.E., BD, Safety, HR, TSG, etc..

It is highly suggested that an on-road supervisor, who's main responsibility is a group of drivers, have actual driving experience. However, even this rule can be bent to fit the needs of UPS. There are many in management who only drive for 30 days and some who drive for a year or two. Obviously, it would be helpful for any one pursing a management career in operations to have some experience in the operation that they are attempting to manage. Maybe that's why my on-road sup is clueless... he’s a former pt hub rat trying to manage a group of drivers

BigBrownSanta

My opinion is: If you want to advance at UPS beyond the HUB level you must understand the delivery end of the business "hands on". That means being a driver or driver supervisor.
It's always been my opinion that everyone from the CEO on down should have to qualify (run scratch on a route) yearly. That way, at least the decision makers would be able to see the reality of their decisions.