Part time to combo

Lyte

So recently, I just went combo and I'm basically doing two hard jobs back to back. Their are other people who went combo and they were about to stay in their original area for twilight and went somewhere else for midnight or just stayed in their original area for both shifts. I found out, that is not what they are supposed to do and need to go to the jobs they bidded on. I asked to go back to my original area just for twilight and I was told there was nothing that can be done and that management is working on making sure people are in their supposed areas. My thing is, that's bs for the fact that management would have to spend a lot of time trying to figure all that out and they are not going to do that. I explained to my hub manager about the tendinitis in my wrist and that if I were to wear a brace on my new position during twilight, it's going to be extremely difficult for me compared to when I was in my original area where I won't have any problems. My question is, should I just build a case on it or just disqualify myself and go back to part time?

wilberforce15

Nobody can do 8 hours at the same pace as 4 hours, and maintain it for decades.

You're in a marathon. Not a sprint. Management will have to learn that.

meritocracy

Do what you need to do to be safe and prevent injuries. Use every provision in the contract to your advantage. If they nag you about it file harassment grievances.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
So recently, I just went combo and I'm basically doing two hard jobs back to back. Their are other people who went combo and they were about to stay in their original area for twilight and went somewhere else for midnight or just stayed in their original area for both shifts. I found out, that is not what they are supposed to do and need to go to the jobs they bidded on. I asked to go back to my original area just for twilight and I was told there was nothing that can be done and that management is working on making sure people are in their supposed areas. My thing is, that's bs for the fact that management would have to spend a lot of time trying to figure all that out and they are not going to do that. I explained to my hub manager about the tendinitis in my wrist and that if I were to wear a brace on my new position during twilight, it's going to be extremely difficult for me compared to when I was in my original area where I won't have any problems. My question is, should I just build a case on it or just disqualify myself and go back to part time?
Combo jobs are supposed to be one physically difficult job and one easy job. What do they have you doing for 8 hours?

DriverNerd

Combo jobs are supposed to be one physically difficult job and one easy job. What do they have you doing for 8 hours?
That's how they used to be. The combo's I did were like that. They only come up when someone leaves their bid. Mostof the new ones are unload/load, load/load, load/preload etc.

Wouldn’t inside/inside be 22.2? The vast majority of our 22.3’s are irregs/shifter.
No. 22.2 are FT Porters, FT Car Wash or FT Feeder Wash. Used to have FT Union clerks also. Our Feeder shifters have to be Feeder qualified. Never know when they may have to take a load somewhere.

opie

We had a similar situation. People were not doing the jobs they were supposed to. Then eventually they got placed in the right positions. Some went back PT because it was too hard for them. A lot of our new 22.3 jobs is 8 hours of grueling work. The 'easy job/hard job' 22.3's were scarce. I was able to get one....cleaning out trailers, which is cake. Then sort, which is the hard portion.
If I were you, I would stick it out. 22.3 jobs are so difficult to get. Only now with this labor market, the company is creating many 22.3 jobs. You can always transfer out to another 22.3 position if there's an opening. As 22.3s would get first dibs on any new vacancies in the building. And you can go to another building in your district also, as FTers have priority on any existing 22.3 job openings. Also you can try to go to Feeders, which is a easy job if you can handle it.

opie

Don’t forget the health insurance. Nothing beats that JC28XL plan.
Depending where you are. Here our PTers and FTers have exactly the same healthplan. I glanced at the plan you mentioned, and ouch. 😧 I'm in the Western Region/Local 177 plan, and all I pay is the $10 co-pay, and sometimes there is no co-pay even. Everything covered at 100%.

Last edited: