Part Time UPSers raise for next 5 years

ZJ NOMAD

They Leave in Droves Now also, once they see it isn't what it USE to be and what they have Heard.

We started when the wage was double min wage.
You got benefits in 90 days
Paid holidays and a Turkey .. LOL

It might be Part time, but the amount of work I consider I do is DOUBLE what a FT job does.
There are several jobs hiring in at $10 an hour and don't lift heave objects over and over in extreme conditions with decent benefits.

Office Depot -- Starts at 9-10 depending on you knowledge in the copy and Print department.. You can work PT or FT, and the insurance is $200 a month for single person with almost the exact same coverage of this new C-6 plan...

My small UPS operation I am going out on a limb and say it has less than 300 building workers, but yet WEEKLY we hove tours of 5-12 people or more.... They don't last....
e
Office Depot, Really! I have never heard of an office depot employee making $32.00 and hour after 20 years, I have never even heard of and office depot employee making $18.00 after 10 years. To top it off non- union jobs are to risky, you can lose your job quick without doing anything sometimes.

At UPS you bust your butt I know, but it does compensate you better in the long run, and it also gives me hope of a better future someday. I know UPS management is like no other, but you just have to learn how to play the game, to me I think it really takes alot for a union worker to get fired from UPS.

The only thing that worries me is that I will go beyond 15 years without becoming full time,if I have to go beyond 15 years to get a FT positon it just seems kind of ridiculous having to wait beyond 15 yrs, currently 7 years. Besides this I have no complaints about UPS. I have a full time job on the side that pays $14.00 an hour, that's more than office depot.

RealPerson

e
Office Depot, Really! I have never heard of an office depot employee making $32.00 and hour after 20 years, I have never even heard of and office depot employee making $18.00 after 10 years. To top it off non- union jobs are to risky, you can lose your job quick without doing anything sometimes.

At UPS you bust your butt I know, but it does compensate you better in the long run, and it also gives me hope of a better future someday. I know UPS management is like no other, but you just have to learn how to play the game, to me I think it really takes alot for a union worker to get fired from UPS.

The only thing that worries me is that I will go beyond 15 years without becoming full time,if I have to go beyond 15 years to get a FT positon it just seems kind of ridiculous having to wait beyond 15 yrs, currently 7 years. Besides this I have no complaints about UPS. I have a full time job on the side that pays $14.00 an hour, that's more than office depot.

Well my best friend has been there 3 or 4 years and is almost a FT manager they make 50K plus, if I remember right, but I will double check with him tomorrow.

See it is like the Drivers that go to a 22.3 Job and take a PAY CUT and it is the best thing they ever did. The wear and tear on the body is NOT worth the $18, $24, $32 an hour.

So a driver makes $32 an hour, and is doing 2+ people work and destroying his / her body 2x as fast, so really they are making $16 an hour.. Crazy way of looking at it, but yeah...

You did miss my point .. Because it isn't always about the money.

Moneythehardway

None that give you the benifits vacation pension paid holidays ect ect.

Exactly my point, so what we get is EARNED, it's not a given like some here makes it seem.

We get a one of a kind benefits/paid holiday package because we do a one of a kind physically demanding job in 3.5 hours. We DESERVE it.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Someone answer Rudy's question, how many part time jobs work you AS HARD as ups does in 3.5 hours and after the shift is over your body feels like its worked 8+ hours?

I do not know but riddle me this MTHW how many jobs give you full benefits,yearly raises,paid vacations,dental,eyecare,pension,free mail order maintainence prescriptions for moving cardboard ? I am just south of 60 and do it every day after 9 hours at my full time job for another 3.5 to 4.5 @ Brown . If you don't like it find something better.Jeez I sound like my Dad.LOL

subdivide

It is a great tribute to your work ethic to stay with UPS this long. I'm not a person who likes to bash the company. I have spent a total of 12 years with the company and I am very grateful for the pay and benefits. My math might be wrong (as far as PT wages and benefits ) but my determination to keep our current contract in force is extremely important. I am a part of the membership of Teamsters and we must let our voices be heard. Our supplement stinks and for my part I will continue to vote no until UPS gets it right.

ZJ NOMAD

Well my best friend has been there 3 or 4 years and is almost a FT manager they make 50K plus, if I remember right, but I will double check with him tomorrow.

See it is like the Drivers that go to a 22.3 Job and take a PAY CUT and it is the best thing they ever did. The wear and tear on the body is NOT worth the $18, $24, $32 an hour.

So a driver makes $32 an hour, and is doing 2+ people work and destroying his / her body 2x as fast, so really they are making $16 an hour.. Crazy way of looking at it, but yeah...

You did miss my point .. Because it isn't always about the money.

Sometimes it's better to burn out than to fade away!Neil Young- My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue) - YouTube

stink219

The wages are under par yet they still come in in droves for the job. Why is this? I worked part time. I paid my dues and fought for my ft job. It's a part time job. I worked other jobs anywhere from 30 hours to 60 on top of my par time job. I never expected to get it all from ups. This is why I waitd for the full time opertunity.

I loaded trucks before the scanners when you had to load twice the packages. I also preloaded sorted unloaded amongst other things and I'm ok. Lose the entitlement.

Your dead balls on. I initially went to UPS just for the bennies. I was working another job at the time. The other thing that boggles my mind is PTers want more money and more hours, FTers want less hours eliciting in less money. I'm not faulting the PTers for wanting more hours though.

Moneythehardway

I do not know but riddle me this MTHW how many jobs give you full benefits,yearly raises,paid vacations,dental,eyecare,pension,free mail order maintainence prescriptions for moving cardboard ? I am just south of 60 and do it every day after 9 hours at my full time job for another 3.5 to 4.5 @ Brown . If you don't like it find something better.Jeez I sound like my Dad.LOL

It's not that I don't like the job, but some people here seem to infer that the bennies and such that we get are a 'given', and I beg to differ. It is something we EARN and deserve. Yes not many other jobs offer it to part timers but not many other jobs has you moving at the pace of UPS either; moving upward of 1k-2k packages per person (sort aisle any way) within 3.5 hours (sometimes quicker than that) so thats an avg of about 300 to nearly 700 pkgs an hour ranging from 1lb to 150lbs at an insanely fast pace. Not complaining, I've been with this company for years now and love the workout, but the fact still remains, outside of navy seals training, who else covers more ground in 3.5 hours? exactly

And as for your use of 'moving cardboard' here can be compared to saying a doctor just using 'plastic' and 'metals' to dig in 'bodies'. You can dull its meaning but it's substance is more than that, albeit we're nothing close to doctors but the principle still remains.

ZJ NOMAD

It's not that I don't like the job, but some people here seem to infer that the bennies and such that we get are a 'given', and I beg to differ. It is something we EARN and deserve. Yes not many other jobs offer it to part timers but not many other jobs has you moving at the pace of UPS either; moving upward of 1k-2k packages per person (sort aisle any way) within 3.5 hours (sometimes quicker than that) so thats an avg of about 300 to nearly 700 pkgs an hour ranging from 1lb to 150lbs at an insanely fast pace. Not complaining, I've been with this company for years now and love the workout, but the fact still remains, outside of navy seals training,
who else covers more ground in 3.5 hours? exactly
fed-ex does the same operation we do, but their employees make a whole lot less.

brown_trousers

A coworker of mine gave me a good perspective on the health care issue. As it applies to us at UPS.

He made a good point that healthcare is a necessary "cost of living" expense, like food, shelter, etc...
So the increasing cost of healthcare is actually just an increase in the cost of living.

Then he posed the question; should our wages/benefits (at the very minimum) keep up with the increasing "cost of living"?

rudy5150

It's not that I don't like the job, but some people here seem to infer that the bennies and such that we get are a 'given', and I beg to differ. It is something we EARN and deserve. Yes not many other jobs offer it to part timers but not many other jobs has you moving at the pace of UPS either; moving upward of 1k-2k packages per person (sort aisle any way) within 3.5 hours (sometimes quicker than that) so thats an avg of about 300 to nearly 700 pkgs an hour ranging from 1lb to 150lbs at an insanely fast pace. Not complaining, I've been with this company for years now and love the workout, but the fact still remains, outside of navy seals training, fed-ex does the same operation we do, but their employees make a whole lot less.

Ive talked to fed ex people, even had some work in our center who had to move for family reasons. They could not believe the bad working conditions and the amount of work we had to do compared to fed ex. They said if this is a union job I don't want one. Needless to say they said fed ex was easier and they quit shortly after being at UPS

RealPerson

e

Ok,
4 years at his work $14 an hour, almost to Manager which is $40-$50K a year depending on your store....
With Benefits, like the C-6 Plan.

Several others jobs like that...

I feel it is time for the IBT and Local Pres and BA to light a fire and get back to the old days... I know how it is, we all get comfortable in our jobs, it is easy to let things slide down hill. Wake up Call...

Ok,
4 years at his work $14 an hour, almost to Manager which is $40-$50K a year depending on your store....
With Benefits, like the C-6 Plan.

Several others jobs like that...

I feel it is time for the IBT and Local Pres and BA to light a fire and get back to the old days... I know how it is, we all get comfortable in our jobs, it is easy to let things slide down hill. Wake up Call...
Sorry but the old days are over. Like fifty percent of people were union in those days compared to like 8 percent now. The court of public opinion doesn't like us anymore. Shutting the doors in those olden times was supported by a vast majority. The way this country is now we would be crucified for what we have and ant we want in the court of public opinion. Learn how to evolve and understand the times you are living in now.

RealPerson

Sorry but the old days are over. Like fifty percent of people were union in those days compared to like 8 percent now. The court of public opinion doesn't like us anymore. Shutting the doors in those olden times was supported by a vast majority. The way this country is now we would be crucified for what we have and ant we want in the court of public opinion. Learn how to evolve and understand the times you are living in now.

Fine, I'll take my $17-$22 dollars an hour then...