Part time vs FT driving.. HELP

fendereh

alright, ive been with ups for 5 years. I am currently a PT Sup for air drivers. Im trying to figure out if I should stay pt and try to get into management or go driving and continure my education as well.?? I see on car sups working 14hr days.. i dont want that. any suggestions/ insight ?

thanks

xkingx

either way youre going to work too many hours...i dont see how drivers can finish an education...i know of one person who did but he was on blow the whole time..

helenofcalifornia

I don't see how you can drive and go to school either. Depends on what you are going to school for. UPS is a tough job as you well know. Are you a blue collar type guy or a white collar? Do you like supervising or do you like working independently under time constraints? School was enjoyable for me but I would go crazy at a desk. But your body WILL break down after awhile.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
IMHO, You will say yeah Ill take at "least" a class, then your hours will overwhelm you, and you"ll say, well next semester.....................
Then next semester you will say,............. well Hell Im making good money here, why go to school, Ill take a class here or there when things "settle down", its been a tough couple of months Joes been off on comp and Lucy is on leave, adnauseum, and the hours are big coz of that, and pretty soon you are an old gray fart,

and you will drive the rest of your life, wondering why you didnt use your brain instead of your brawn. Maybe you will like it, I did, in the words of the famous UPSMEOFF, "I love my job just Hate what they have done to it"

Whatever you do, get your education.

trickpony1

I agree with Tooner.
You can go driving anytime. You can go into management anytime (should be a clue).
Your youthful years only last so long.
Get a degree in a marketable field. No one can ever take that degree away from you. Use any tuition reimbursement the company offers.

Please listen to all these people that are telling you that your body will wear down. Train your mind and your body will follow.

fendereh

I know education is important, my problem is I like school so much I take a little of everything. Thats why ive been in school for the past 5 years. I think I have some student loans comming up that will have to start being paid. I cant pay them working part time. Im waaaaaaaaaaaayyy more of a blue collar worker than white. I go nuts inside the building. Im on the road as much as possible.

I dont know.

hoser

Industrial Slob
IMHO, You will say yeah Ill take at "least" a class, then your hours will overwhelm you, and you"ll say, well next semester.....................
Then next semester you will say,............. well Hell Im making good money here, why go to school, Ill take a class here or there when things "settle down", its been a tough couple of months Joes been off on comp and Lucy is on leave, adnauseum, and the hours are big coz of that, and pretty soon you are an old gray fart,

and you will drive the rest of your life, wondering why you didnt use your brain instead of your brawn. Maybe you will like it, I did, in the words of the famous UPSMEOFF, "I love my job just Hate what they have done to it"

Whatever you do, get your education.
My thoughts exactly. Stay with UPS and get your school paid for, even if it means unloading trucks. You'll thank yourself in 5 years.