Part Time Wage Increases

JustAnotherBody

Hi,

I work with a guy who claims to have gotten a 87 cent raise on his senority date this year. His senority date was like August 3rd, 2002. So he just missed the Article 22 Section 5 (a) raise that I recieve on August 1st.
He should be under Article 22 Section 5 (b) which would schedule him for a 50 cent raise.

Article 22 Section 5 (c) The wage rates and increases provided in (a) and (b) shall be a minimum.

He is saying he got a 37 cent COLA. Everything I read said we were getting a 12 cent COLA.

Did they invoke part (c) and give the people more then they had planned?
Did they screw up his COLA?
Or is he full of **** and he just got a 50 cent or 62 cent raise?

According to the contract he should be at Senority plus (4) years $12.25...
Plus COLA +.12 = 12.37?
He is saying 12.52 I guess.

Anyone who is getting the chapter (b) progression Id appreaciate hearing from you.

If he's serious I'm kind of annoyed the company is rewarding the less senior employees with more then they are guaranteed while people with more experience are getting just the guarantee.

I appreciate whatever raise we get but if he really got an extra quarter this year I guess yah Im jealous/upset. We all do the same job, why would they be rewarded differently.

Overpaid Union Thug

To keep it simple....he was pro-rated. Each employee is supposed to be making a certain wage after a certain amount of time. The same thing happened to me. It keeps people with less seniority than you from making more more than you.

JustAnotherBody

how does his getting a bigger raise then the contract required keep him lower? He still is and would be even lower than me if he just got his 50 cents and 12 cent COLA..

brownrod

If you read the contract more carefully you will find that part timers get .50 cents per year for their first 3 years. On the fourth year they get a .75 cent raise. Looks like he got his .75 cent raise plus the .12 cent COLA.

JustAnotherBody

i guess my next question is what happens to those people in the 5th year. the contract lists the wages for senority + 90 days, 1 year, 2 year, 3 year, 4 year....

hungrydude5

That's all fine and dandy and all but....im having a problem here. I was hired in may of last year. After my 30 days in and joined the union, I got a .50 raise. In august of that year they gave me a dollar? After 1 year seniority this year, i got a .50 raise again. August came around and I didn't get squat.......should i have received a 1.00 raise this august?

brett636

That's all fine and dandy and all but....im having a problem here. I was hired in may of last year. After my 30 days in and joined the union, I got a .50 raise. In august of that year they gave me a dollar? After 1 year seniority this year, i got a .50 raise again. August came around and I didn't get squat.......should i have received a 1.00 raise this august?

You get a .50 raise after 90 working days, and the dollar I assume is related to you passing a sort or pick test. Your raises will come in .50 increments on your anniversary date. I imagine it won't switch over to the august 1 contract date until the next contract is in effect.

hungrydude5

I see I see. Scanning the belt is a skilled rate job so i now know where that 1.00 came from. Just confused about the august issue. maybe ill work smalls tonight so im guarenteed to see my union steward.

P

P/T Irreg driver

Hi, I reached seniority a week or so after 8-1-02, and my experience allows me to speak on this issue.

They first mistakenly gave me the 8-1 raise for several weeks, which I was forced to pay back.

Anyway, all new Part Timers are in a four year progression.
The schedule is as follows (Rates in parentheses are Preloader/Sorter rates)
Hire 8.50 (9.50)
90 CALENDAR days 9.00 (10.00)
1 Year 9.50 (10.50)
2 Years 10.00 (11.00)
3 Years 10.50 (11.50)
4 Years 11.25 (12.25)

After which, you have completed your progression and are entitled to the august first contractual raises, in addition to any COLAs offered.

So for me, last June I got my four year wage increase, was at 12.25. Then in August I got another raise. So I went from 11.50 to 13.47 in a matter of a few months. I am no longer bitter about barely missing 8-1-02, even though I would be making almost a buck more now, thats the breaks...

JustAnotherBody

So does anyone know what will happen for the people with post 8/1/2002 senority dates for their year 5 raise? I do not see this in contract at all.

thanks.

sillyputty

"So for me, last June I got my four year wage increase, was at 12.25. Then in August I got another raise. So I went from 11.50 to 13.47 in a matter of a few months. I am no longer bitter about barely missing 8-1-02, even though I would be making almost a buck more now, thats the breaks..."

Which is why I think I've been cheated somehow....$14.57/hr with a seniority date of 9-14-1999. People who have less seniority than me ARE making close to if not more than I am. This is without skilled pay (which I think I should be getting but that's a whole other story- working on the air dock (can't make mistakes), having to be ADG certified, one person gets skilled pay in my work area- the first in line- but really he's not "sorting"- he's just picking his own stuff off the belt and letting everything else go by while I have to pick out my own stuff, send the rest by and pick out his missorts, plus deal with the international split, sort changes on Fridays with EAMs and Saturdays, etc- 6 years in this position...plus by the end of October we all have to be fingerprinted and background checked to work in Air).