Part-Time Yard Shifter

DoctorMario

I've been working in the hub 10+ years and im thinking about finally doing yard shifting. I was wondering how difficult the job is and what a days work consist of ? I'm getting tired of loading/unloading and im in need of a change of scenery. Thx in advance ! Btw it's a part time position.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I've been working in the hub 10+ years and im thinking about finally doing yard shifting. I was wondering how difficult the job is and what a days work consist of ? I'm getting tired of loading/unloading and im in need of a change of scenery. Thx in advance ! Btw it's a part time position.
Those jobs in my center you need at least 25+ years to get ......

gorilla75jdw

I'm a 24 year full time employee, full time shifter combo for the last ten years , before that I did irregs in the hub majority of the first 14 years in the building . Had I known , how easy shifting was I would've been in that position from the earliest moment on . I use a Feeder tractor everyday , because it has A.C. , I bring my own radio and tablet that I have downloaded movies on . You do not need a CDL if you are staying on the property. Also I run a C.B. to communicate with the other shifters who are mostly in yard birds that don't have a.c.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Driving a tractor to shift in is a good thing in the summer if you can swing it. There is never enough yard mules to go around, at least in the hub I worked in. However, the rest of the year when AC isn't necessary, tractors are about double the amount of work over a mule per shift. My son worked inside the hub for a few years, then bid on a shifting job. He said it was the best choice he could have made. You get wet when it rains, but there is nobody yelling at you to go faster over your shoulder. It's just a personal choice. There is always the possibility to tear some equipment up, and when you do that, you get hollered at. lol.

StoptheAct1212

Its serious work, most likely one of the most important jobs in the building, the shifts need to be done quick and safe... .. if you a lazy bum.. you can get away with just chillin and waiting on the call to move the trailer. But some of us are motivated and jump in to make things happen.. and shutup to any negative comments.. and for the fool that said he brings his tablet..... never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut....

StoptheAct1212

Its hard to get used to the maneuvers. But once you got it.. its easy... not for everyone though... i know a shifter from night was asked to sub for am shift... he couldent cutt it... am preload is more intense than Reload

HardknocksUPSer

The shifter (A PT) in my center only shifts when a trailer needs shifted, the rest of the time he unloads or scans, full time (part time) shifters must only be at large hubs that have trailers coming in very often.

gorilla75jdw

Its serious work, most likely one of the most important jobs in the building, the shifts need to be done quick and safe... .. if you a lazy bum.. you can get away with just chillin and waiting on the call to move the trailer. But some of us are motivated and jump in to make things happen.. and shutup to any negative comments.. and for the fool that said he brings his tablet..... never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut....
Why am I a fool ?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Huh!!

Overpaid Union Thug

I was a shifter (called "Switcher") at FedEx Ground/RPS. It was probably the best job I've ever had between working for both companies. Go for it if you get a shot. Don't even hesitate. You'll be glad you did.

I didn't stick around the hub long enough at UPS to get into shifting there but based on what I saw there I can say it seems that UPS shifters have it made compared to the guys at FedEx Ground. At least where I was at. There was downtime (just a little) but we would never have been able to get away with many of the things that I saw the UPS shifters do. Hell, they'd send one of us inside to various areas (depending on staffing issues) to avoid having too much downtime. There was VERY little chill time on the yard. Plus, we had the bare minimum number of shifters at any given time. Another major difference I had noticed was that at UPS feeder drivers often had to spot trailers and/or pull them from the doors once they were ready even though there were numerous shifters on the yard. At FDX Ground that was rare and only if the contractor (as they are referred to over there) was wanting to get a head start. But they usually only needed to drop inbounds on the inbound lane and pickup outbounds from the outbound lane. There was no need to back up to the docks.