part timer harrased about what i do after work

gator

hey all. i'm a pt eam driver. now i give full time drivers all the respect in the world, i know it is a very tough job. fortunetly for me i can be a part time worker. i have been with ups for 10 years so my hourly pay is pretty darn good and i 'am grateful for that and the benefits of course! i do my job and then go home. today a center manager who i know and don't really care for(i know, no surprise right!) asked me if i was going to run air? i said no that i had to go and then he starts bothering me about where i'm going and do i have another job and what time do i go to work and for what company? my question is, is it really any of his business what i do once my shift is over? thanks.

trickpony1

It's none of his business.
The undercurrent in his questions was, in essense, "what could possibly be more important in your life than working here?".

W

westsideworma

hey all. i'm a pt eam driver. now i give full time drivers all the respect in the world, i know it is a very tough job. fortunetly for me i can be a part time worker. i have been with ups for 10 years so my hourly pay is pretty darn good and i 'am grateful for that and the benefits of course! i do my job and then go home. today a center manager who i know and don't really care for(i know, no surprise right!) asked me if i was going to run air? i said no that i had to go and then he starts bothering me about where i'm going and do i have another job and what time do i go to work and for what company? my question is, is it really any of his business what i do once my shift is over? thanks.

Was he just curious or being a jerk (ok ok I know but I'm giving him a chance)? Other than that, nope, none of his business whatsoever, its your job, its not your life. What you do off the clock is none of his business unless it affects your work (and even it might be a stretch).

gator

it started out innocently and then when he realized i wasn't going to run air for him is when he started pestering me about where i had to go.

it started out innocently and then when he realized i wasn't going to run air for him is when he started pestering me about where i had to go.

Ask him "Why? Are you looking for a date?"

In all seriousness it`s none of his business whatsoever.If you have another obligation then so be it. If he were to persist then you should ask him to stop harrassing you and let him know he is creating a hostlie workplace.

Channahon

He was following the contract and offering you the work, rather than send a supervisor on the road, if the regular drivers couldn't make commit times. Or he didn't want to explain why he had late air, if he didn't have a sup run the air. In any event, the work was there, you opted not to run air.

rebel

Just wondering, pt eam driver, is that early am driver? If so, that is full time driver work in our center. We did win that grievance at the panel. None of his business.

wily_old_vet

He was following the contract and offering you the work, rather than send a supervisor on the road, if the regular drivers couldn't make commit times. Or he didn't want to explain why he had late air, if he didn't have a sup run the air. In any event, the work was there, you opted not to run air.

Asking the driver to run the airs was following the contract the rest was not. Why this driver declined his gracious offer of more work is none of his business.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I have seen many employees & management always trying to get the upper hand in work place issues. What did it accomplish? Only hard feelings and nothing constructive! I remember a song "Why can't we be Friends" and just get on with life and show respect to all..

Overpaid Union Thug

Just wondering, pt eam driver, is that early am driver? If so, that is full time driver work in our center. We did win that grievance at the panel. None of his business.

That is how it is SUPPOSED to be here but it doesn't work that way. We have an article 22.3 (preload/air) guy that is supposed to run EAMs and other NDAs but he rarely does. He just goes home after preload (I hear this is the trend in many centers). The full-time drivers don't want to run EAMs because it usually requires starting early and taking an empty truck while their regular truck is still being loaded. They don't like to come back to the center and start their regular route later than normal. Management could always use a part-time air driver or cover driver to run the EAMs and other NDAs but they'd rather use a full-timer first. Allot of our drivers won't come into the building until right around start time to avoid being sent out with EAMs. Lately the sups have been sending out the lowest seniority driver (usually a p/t cover driver).

HazMatMan

That is how it is SUPPOSED to be here but it doesn't work that way. We have an article 22.3 (preload/air) guy that is supposed to run EAMs and other NDAs but he rarely does. He just goes home after preload (I hear this is the trend in many centers). The full-time drivers don't want to run EAMs because it usually requires starting early and taking an empty truck while their regular truck is still being loaded. They don't like to come back to the center and start their regular route later than normal. Management could always use a part-time air driver or cover driver to run the EAMs and other NDAs but they'd rather use a full-timer first. Allot of our drivers won't come into the building until right around start time to avoid being sent out with EAMs. Lately the sups have been sending out the lowest seniority driver (usually a p/t cover driver).

That jerk combo guy who completes only half his 8 hours then goes home should relinquish his job to someone who wants to work a FULL 8 hours. He is breaching the contract making deals like that. Meanwhile, someone who is struggling to make ends meet who REALLY needs a full time position can't get one.

cino321

Honestly... I think management is brainwashed to badger and harass people doesn't matter what the situation and it's just their nature... but at least he did offer.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
That jerk combo guy who completes only half his 8 hours then goes home should relinquish his job to someone who wants to work a FULL 8 hours. He is breaching the contract making deals like that. Meanwhile, someone who is struggling to make ends meet who REALLY needs a full time position can't get one.

my 22 buddy was complaining not making enough money because they send him home early? something is up.......

tieguy

Banned

Yes you're right its really not his business. And yet it happens every day. If you strike up a conversation with anyone anywhere they will probably ask you something that could be technically deemed none of their business. Is there a reason why after 10 years with the company you felt uncomfortable with the answers?

trickpony1

Is there a reason why after 10 years with the company you felt uncomfortable with the answers?

.......maybe the part-timer was taught respect and courtesy as he was growing up and didn't think it was within his right to drill the supervisor about what HE does after work.

courtesy and respect?....what a concept.

tieguy

Banned
.......maybe the part-timer was taught respect and courtesy as he was growing up and didn't think it was within his right to drill the supervisor about what HE does after work.

courtesy and respect?....what a concept.

you should be carefull when you throw such words out. All human beings including your brothers in the union routinely pry into business not theirs when having conversations with others. Are you now accusing all your brothers of lacking courtesy and respect?

W

westsideworma

for me the conversation would have been over after I said no. If I said I wasn't running air today, then he had all he needed to know.

Just one question to the original poster:
what do you do when you aren't running air (at UPS I mean)? Is this part of a combo job (22.3)? If it is, then it kind of is his business. You are contracted to work for a full 8hrs. Not trying to jump on your case, just wondering.

tieguy

Banned
this thread is actually a positive . The guy has worked for ups for 10 years and his biggest problem is his boss asked too many questions and made him feel uncomfortable when he was getting ready to skate out before completing his air committments.

DorkHead

No Tie, your wrong, he didn`t skate out, he completed his assignment. The center manager asked him if would run some air, which I figure is regular commit time and he declined. Thats the way I interpreted his post.

Buffy

DOT Hours of service rules apply to anytime time spent working. The manager has an obligation to know. You have an obligation to report any other employment and not be on road if you have not had 10 hours off.

On duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On duty time shall include:

8) Performing any other work in the capacity, employ, or service of a motor carrier; and
9) Performing any compensated work for a person who is not a motor carrier.