Part-tme sup position eliminated after 10 years!

BrownSuit

OP - I would follow Tie's advice and open an EDR. Eliminating positions of PT Sups doesn't right. It should affect the severance, but check the language in the packet.

As far as the loss of a big account, if it was as big as you claim, the Division Manager would likely have been aware of it and be sure that the BD Rep's job isn't safe either. If s/he really did absolutely nothing to retain the business than it might be the unemployment lines for them. If it would be enough to drive a small center (I'm guessing 1-2 Feeders) than it likely is affecting them quite a bit as well.

Pickup -

The ADEA would likely not apply here. Her position is being eliminated and the job responsibilities in some cases are being handled by somebody older than her. Notice the center manager that's going to retire in less than six months that was mentioned earlier.

Any legal action generally jeopardizes the ability to take a severance when it does come.

Severance is given routinely when positions are eliminated, not so much when somebody is fired as you suggested.

STUG - Maybe if we help them out they will stick around and be a productive member of BC.

tieguy

Banned
Like I told a supe of mine not too long ago when he made some remark about "people losing their jobs " due to the economy: You'll lose your job a damn site before I lose mine.

Always makes me feel better to know someone else will suffer before I will. :happy-very:

While this has a certain logic to it, the Cost Accounting measurement does not change at 9 years versus 11 years. And a 10 yr employee is much more productive that a new hire.
Does not pass the "common sense" litmus test but these days one is never sure.
These days? At UPS common sense has been an oxymoron for years.

P

pickup

Pickup -

The ADEA would likely not apply here. Her position is being eliminated and the job responsibilities in some cases are being handled by somebody older than her. Notice the center manager that's going to retire in less than six months that was mentioned earlier.

Any legal action generally jeopardizes the ability to take a severance when it does come.

Severance is given routinely when positions are eliminated, not so much when somebody is fired as you suggested.

On the ADEA part, you are probably right. But that is why I said check with a lawyer, he knows better than I . Also, a lot of times age discrimination does occur but a lawyer won't pursue that course of action if it is hard to prove.

As for legal action affecting ability to take a severance, .well that is a no brainer. Severance packages are generally offered in exchange for the employees waiving their legal rights to sue. If she decides to sue, their is no point in offering a severance. There is an incentive to up the amount of a severance if company wants the lawsuit to go away.

As for severance given only in cases where positions are eliminated, maybe at ups but in other companies in other instances : not true. A relative of mine quit his job because he didn't like the new commission structure that was shoved down his throat . He felt it violated the current contract he was under. They offered him a severance but wanted him to sign papers agreeing to the new commission structure that they imposed upon him in the last year he worked there. They also wanted him to sign some non compete contracts. He refused to sign anything, didn't get the severance(i.e. didn't accept the bribe) and is now suing them for breach of contract . A suit he couldn't have brought had he signed the severance. And I might add, he has an excellent chance of winning. And he knew the odds were good because he consulted a lawyer in the last month before he quit and the lawyer determined he had an excellent chance of winning. If the lawyer told him otherwise, he would have taken the severance.

Here is an interesting link about severances:

http://employeeissues.com/severance_pay.htm

I am not telling the original poster what to do . My personal feeling is she will be battling a goliath and will have a hard battle before her and maybe an unfruitful one