Passed Driving Test and DOT Physical, Now School

MassWineGuy

Next week I'll be in the lovely hamlet of Chelmsford, Mass. at UPS training. Do you complete the whole week and find out if you go on or can they send you home at any time?

Box Ox

You'll complete it as long as you know the 5 Seeing Habits (including the "How do you do it," "What does it do for you" and "Key phrase to remember" parts) and 10 Point Commentary word for word. You should definitely start memorizing them now. The company's already invested in your getting this far.

MassWineGuy

I'm not the best when it comes to remembering something verbatim, but all of the concepts make good sense. As far as investment, the superviser who gave me my road test was on the clock, anyway, as was the supe who filled in him. The physical couldn't have cost much, considering the deal UPS likely gets for the number ordered each year.

I want the job and I believe I like the job, based on what I know and have observed. There is no way I'd ever go back to driver's helper for $9.50 an hour.

Whargoul

If you can't remember the 5 & 10 how are you going to remember a route? When I went to integrad they told us is cost's them on average 8k for each candidate. Sounds like youre just going to a regional class though so I imagine it won't be difficult.

BUCN85

I'm headed to Columbus next week. Best advice for 5 seeing habits and 10pt. Re-write it all. Over and over. Makes it very easy.

B

bowflex

in my class 4 weeks ago 7 out of 18 did not make it. DO NOT worry about the 5 seeing habits or 10 point until the last few days, then take a crash course in your room. the road test and the station test is what sent everyone home. The final exam is also nothing to worry about. I am on my 3rd week actually driving and i'm about to get fired. I'm sure some of the people that failed integrad would have done great as drivers. I passed the school with flying colors but I am not able to master my area knowledge thus i'm taking to long to get my route done. good luck its a pretty rough week up there but 100 times rougher when you actually start driving.

B

bowflex

If you can't remember the 5 & 10 how are you going to remember a route? When I went to integrad they told us is cost's them on average 8k for each candidate. Sounds like youre just going to a regional class though so I imagine it won't be difficult.
I was told $4600 and i did remember the 5 and 10 but still cant remember my route. I was told I have 3 more days to lock it down or bye bye.

MassWineGuy

I don't have a great head for navigation, but I can get something I do every day into my head. Do you learn what your route will be before you have to drive it? If so, I'm going to drive it on my own time to get the lay of the land. If it doesn't work out I'll know that I wasn't cut out to drive a UPS delivery truck. But damn, I'm still a great person!

What is a station test all about?

P

pickup

I'm headed to Columbus next week. Best advice for 5 seeing habits and 10pt. Re-write it all. Over and over. Makes it very easy.

Another idea, if you have garage band for mac, you can record it in your own words, then send it to i tunes, making it an mp3 , stick it on your ipod and set the repeat function, headphones on , you'll be brainwashed in no time.

HomeDelivery

don't you work for fedex? lol

yep, did i get those terms wrong?

lil brother works for ups, as a package handler for x amount of years

i didn't hang around to wait to become a driver when i joined the warehouse portion... so i immediately went to purple

now, i have a better shot to be one of those off-the-street hires than him waiting in line for another few years ~ so i lurk in this section to get the big picture before i switch to a brown uniform
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bowflex said:
I passed the school with flying colors but I am not able to master my area knowledge thus i'm taking to long to get my route done.

bow, once you make book, you shouldn't be harassed to the point of termination; that's why you guys have a union. maybe you have a target on your back for some reason & they're trying to "throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks" to get rid of you...

suggest doing what jumpman & others are talking about in the following thread:

http://www.browncafe.com/community/...ay-plan-is-formulated-over-under-plan.352846/

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
yep, did i get those terms wrong?

lil brother works for ups, as a package handler for x amount of years

i didn't hang around to wait to become a driver when i joined the warehouse portion... so i immediately went to purple

now, i have a better shot to be one of those off-the-street hires than him waiting in line for another few years ~ so i lurk in this section to get the big picture before i switch to a brown uniform
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bow, once you make book, you shouldn't be harassed to the point of termination; that's why you guys have a union. maybe you have a target on your back for some reason & they're trying to "throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks" to get rid of you...

suggest doing what jumpman & others are talking about in the following thread:[/COLOR]

http://www.browncafe.com/community/...ay-plan-is-formulated-over-under-plan.352846/
http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/a...k-day-plan-formulated-over-under-plan-352846/
going to purple first....then getting hired off the street......that acutally sounds like pretty smart idea. Oh well....too late for me to do that now lol.

HomeDelivery

well, my lil brother can't drive stick so he better ask for "practice sessions" with an older package car on saturdays... i won't let him touch my personal car!

yes, seems that there'll be a demand for more "qualified drivers" by next peak as the older couriers are being put out to pasture... i still have a few more years until my youngest one is out of diapers to finally commit my 10-12 hour days to you-pee-ass

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
yes, seems that there'll be a demand for more "qualified drivers" by next peak as the older couriers are being put out to pasture... i still have a few more years until my youngest one is out of diapers to finally commit my 10-12 hour days to you-pee-ass

Hold on to that dream.

HomeDelivery

Hold on to that dream.

dude, you should know that some hubs have a revolving door of drivers... i got my info locally from bumping into brownie drivers & on this site that lives near my service areas

i still have a few other options besides switching uniforms & doing the same job...