Passed Sorting Test Got No Raise

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There are no "skilled" jobs. There are preferred job classifications and two of them happen to be preload and sorter, which pay a dollar more. Your best bet is, since you have five years as an unloader, talk with your steward about how to bid a preferred job. You have enough seniority and the contract states that up to 25% of employees on a shift, can change shifts in a calender year. That includes openings on the same shift.

Either way, whatever itis UPS tells you, is going to be to their benefit and not yours. They may even tell you that you are stuck there, which is a lie. (I was told that in 2004, before moving from preload loader to pickoff)

F

FrigidAdCorrector

There are no "skilled" jobs. There are preferred job classifications and two of them happen to be preload and sorter, which pay a dollar more.
If there are no skilled jobs why do we classify what someone did as "Local Sort Skilled" or "Local Sort Unskilled"?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

It wasnt like that here when I worked local sort. We were all paid the same starting wage regardless of the position.
That's how it is here as well. But once you pass the sorting test you are supposed to be classified as skilled. My building doesn't do it (which like I've mentioned I'm against) but there is a difference.

When you code local sort in your DIAD it is considered skilled.

PT Car Washer

All of our new preloaders are classified as unskilled and do not receive the extra Dollar preload rate. Been that way ever since we went to the PAL system.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Which is silly because whether someone is listed as skilled or not doesn't affect our pay.

I'm honestly not sure how the process works. We don't have any sorters on my shift listed as skilled (sorter). Which I find to be absolute garbage and I have a couple guys who can sort and deserve it. Yet all the preloaders are listed as skilled. Go figure.
Preload at one time was a skilled position. Before PAS.

The preloader had to know the streets, number breaks, sequence numbers, which car to put the packages in, etc.

Now, they just look at a label and it tells them.

Some areas have removed the skilled position from preloaders. They no longer get the $1/hr more.

Sorters should still be a skilled position and get the buck.

Shep92

In my hub if you pass you get the extra pay regardless of the position you normally do. It's essentially a free dollar, and that extra dollar goes a long way.

YellowSox

He is not sorting. Only sorted one day a week ago as I guess some kind of test. Sounds to me like he is not in the sorting position yet.
If you pass the test you should still get the raise. The workers on the load wall learn the pick off test to get the raise, even though they know it can take years to even actually pick off.

RealPerson

In my building you can Qualify and get the $1 raise and KEEP it, because you are a back up sorter. They were allowed a couple spots as backups.
You can ONLY get ONE skilled $1 ever....
I am not sure how preload works if you get the $1 shift pay and can get the $1 skilled or if it is just the $1 only.
Don't worry I see ALL $1 skilled paying going away the next contract...........

YellowSox

In my building you can Qualify and get the $1 raise and KEEP it, because you are a back up sorter. They were allowed a couple spots as backups.
I am not sure how preload works if you get the $1 shift pay and can get the $1 skilled or if it is just the $1 only.
This is what my center does too. They always need qualified sorters and pickoffs just in case, so it gives the part timers the motivation to learn the pickoff and sort. My center just went to a full electronic sort so anyone that sorts just scans the label and the belt color and location shoots on the sort belt. Kind of cool but at the same time eliminates the sort raise.

YellowSox

This is what my center does too. They always need qualified sorters and pickoffs just in case, so it gives the part timers the motivation to learn the pickoff and sort. My center just went to a full electronic sort so anyone that sorts just scans the label and the belt color and location shoots on the sort belt. Kind of cool but at the same time eliminates the sort raise.

Bren_dan

In my center, you only get your extra one dollar when you're sorting. Being qualified doesn't matter. I could start a night loading for 20 minutes and then go to small sort and they literally don't give me my sorter's pay for those first 20 minutes. It's ridiculous.