Passports for Canadians

DS

Fenderbender
I understand that Bush wants better security,but I think the U.S. Canada relationship is unique.I think that anyone with a valid Canadian birth certificate should get a card that would enable us to move freely into the USA .And vica versa.
sam1no.JPG

wkmac

I know we have our differences but I've always felt like Canada was just part of the family. IMO the borders between the 2 should be very open and for those who are citizens of either country it should as easy as it is for those of us here in the US to move between States. You Canucks are welcome in our home anytime! As we say down here, ya'll come see us ya hear!

JMO.

I've never had the pleasure of visiting your beautiful country but someday I hope too. Also I love your National anthem. What a beautiful piece of music! Ours is a drinking song, music itself comes from the english song To Anacreon in Heaven in which if you could sing a stanza, it meant you could have another round so the music itself is very difficult. God Bless America would make a nice anthem but the anti-religionists would throw a fit and America the Beautiful IMO is perfect but someone would barf at that too. I guess we're just stuck with what we have. Dammit!
:wink:

quebec_driver

The US border patrol is going to have a hard time to secure the border, I once delivered to a house near the border, home owner was not in, as a good upser I went to the neighbor about 100 meters, wound up delivering to an adress in Vermont, also we have a Provincial route near Bebee Quebec, that depending on what side of the road you are on, you are either in Canada or the US. So whatever happens the border patrol will be having a lot of work just to figure out what to do... there are also houses near border town that straddle the border( Oh no! I forgot my passport to go to the kitchen). A lot of Vermonters are land owners in Quebec, they come up for the hunting and fishing...

aspenleaf

:blushing: How embarrassing for us in the US. I have not been to Canada since 88 but we had no issues crossing the border. We had our papers but not passports. I went with a group of girl scouts to Echo Valley near Regina (sp?). I have also traveled in your country with my grandparents when I was much younger. My penpal/ former babysitter in Germany wants to visit but refuses to come here due to the president’s rulings. Her English is not too good and she fears being tossed out for saying the wrong thing. I hope things will improve.

over9five

Staff member
"..wound up delivering to an adress in Vermont"

That is beautiful (should be a commercial!)...

You went to another COUNTRY to make service on your package!!!

wily_old_vet

double_standard said:
I understand that Bush wants better security,but I think the U.S. Canada relationship is unique.I think that anyone with a valid Canadian birth certificate should get a card that would enable us to move freely into the USA .And vica versa.

DS-correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the 17 suspected terrorists that were recently arrested Canadien citizens. So they could have just shown their birth certificate and "come on down" as Bob Barker would say. I don't think it's too much to ask the people crossing our borders to have a passport. Sorry if that inconviences you.

DS

Fenderbender
First of all wily,the majority of those 17 terrorists were indeed Canadian citizens,5 under 18 years old,the rest ranged from 23 to 47.Chances are,only those 5 would possibly have been born here.The others emmigrated here,and would not have valid Canadian birth certificates.Secondly...They make it quite hard to get a passport here,and it costs about $150.00 .Thirdly....a lot of people will just decide not no come there anymore.You will lose mega tourist $ in new york,illinois,washington and florida to name a few. You might not care,Bush might not care,but the people that rely on us for their paychecks certainly will.We are not a threat. Its just anal protectionism.

wily_old_vet

Just because a person has a Canadian birth certificate doesn't make them harmless anymore than it makes anyone with a US birth certificate harmless ie the people who blew up the bldg in Oklahoma. In these times I say better safe than sorry. Also if you remember there was a gentleman caught in 1999 on the west coast coming from Canada with a car load of explosives to blow up LAX.

quebec_driver

Wily,
everyone is a possible threat now, you can buy passports on the black market, CNN had a report on a town in the USA where you have to go through Canada (Manitoba) to get there and the sheriff stated on CNN he only sometimes stops to tell US customs he is crossing an international border. The Mohawks are crossing contrabond across the border faster than you think, including weapons from the US to Canada... What a world we are living in now!!!