Paternity leave question

Lou Sassole

Was wondering if anyone can help me with this, is it possible to break up the 12 weeks for example if I wanted to take 2-3 when the baby is born and save the rest for when my wifes leave is over is that possible? I was told it needs to be taken all at once by a co-worker but none of my managers know. Thanks

FromOffTheStreets

Was wondering if anyone can help me with this, is it possible to break up the 12 weeks for example if I wanted to take 2-3 when the baby is born and save the rest for when my wifes leave is over is that possible? I was told it needs to be taken all at once by a co-worker but none of my managers know. Thanks
Most guys take a couple days maybe week tops. Only 1 guy I've ever known that took 12 weeks fmla

bumped

Sure, as long as your wife's doctor fills the forms out accurately.

EDIT... I think you can only use 10 days FMLA before UPS can start using your vacation, so make sure your vacation is used up before you take the FMLA. Check your state FMLA, and check the new contract as I think it was changed slightly from the previous contract.

Shorts365

In my state you can definitely break up paternity leave. A customer on my route is doing it currently. I'd expect push back during peak of course.

bumped

In my state you can definitely break up paternity leave. A customer on my route is doing it currently. I'd expect push back during peak of course.
I wouldn't worry about that. management moves around so much that it will be forgotten. Make yourself and the wife happy.

Cheesypurpletees

I took 9 weeks for my newborn a few months ago in California. When contacting the Hartford to setup your leave, they’ll Indicate whether you want to do a continuous or intermittent leave. You’re allowed to breakup the 12 weeks however and whenever you’d like, as long as it’s taken within 12 months from your babies birth.
Also idk what state you’re in, but in California 8 weeks of that 12 weeks is paid through the paid family leave program with covered benefits

Cardb0ard.

Beer and more beer
When I was on fmla I was able to split my weeks and work a month and a month off. Sucks for your pension and 401k contributions though.

over9five

Staff member
I took the whole day off on each of my kids birthdays....

Trust me, you do not want to be home during that. Let her mother help her out.

R1wonder

In Ny yes . Can do daily . I did the first two weeks my daughter was born, then I went back to work, and when my wife ran out and then I stayed home for another few weeks.. def not being paid as well but we didn’t want to toss her into daycare so young

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Never took more than a week off when the kids were born. Never did much with the daily care either. When they were a little older, who did they came running to? That's right PAPA! LOL, ticked momma off. Woman get jealous!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Never took more than a week off when the kids were born. Never did much with the daily care either. When they were a little older, who did they came running to? That's right PAPA! LOL, ticked momma off. Woman get jealous!
IMG_7313.png

@Wally A true man of the 80’s

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Under FMLA you can break up the weeks so long as you apply for it that way. Intermittent gives you the right to break it up. Continuous limits you to all at one time. Having said all that. You still have to qualify under the law (1 yr. employed, etc...). That way you can have off doctor office visits as well.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Sure, as long as your wife's doctor fills the forms out accurately.

EDIT... I think you can only use 10 days FMLA before UPS can start using your vacation, so make sure your vacation is used up before you take the FMLA. Check your state FMLA, and check the new contract as I think it was changed slightly from the previous contract.
New rules lately say they can't take all of your time. I think they have to leave you with 1-2 weeks vacation.