Patton Route Consultant

zeev

Just saw a video from Route Consultant called Hello Truck Lease where an attractive female pushes the value of leasing over buying, the odd part is most of the time is taken up with pitching Ground routes. Seems like Patton’s dishing of Ground has caused a high inventory of excess Ground routes. Coincides with lots of Facebook advertising by FedEx.

Mutineer

Just saw a video from Route Consultant called Hello Truck Lease where an attractive female pushes the value of leasing over buying, the odd part is most of the time is taken up with pitching Ground routes. Seems like Patton’s dishing of Ground has caused a high inventory of excess Ground routes. Coincides with lots of Facebook advertising by FedEx.

What FedEx thinks of their contractors has been clearly demonstrated to everyone by pulling Patton's contracts without a second thought, and with absolute impunity.

Patton's value is that he poked the tiger and got mauled. Now everybody knows what happens. After this demonstration, I don't think anybody who is aware of that event, and in their right mind, would want any part of becoming a contractor with FedEx.

bacha29

What FedEx thinks of their contractors has been clearly demonstrated to everyone by pulling Patton's contracts without a second thought, and with absolute impunity.

Patton's value is that he poked the tiger and got mauled. Now everybody knows what happens. After this demonstration, I don't think anybody who is aware of that event, and in their right mind, would want any part of becoming a contractor with FedEx.
Spot on. As was noted earlier the contract is worthless because there's no governing legal authority in place with the power to make it binding on FDX.
Sure, you have arbitration but guess who chooses to sit on the arbitration board? Not only that the issues that can be decided in arbitration are very narrow in scope and the party that decided that is the same one who reserved the right to decide who sits on the board. So what chance the contractor to win when the odds are so stacked against him?

When the operation was started and run by Roadway, it wasn't perfect but it was overall agreeable. And the command and control was overall within reason. That all changed when Fat Freddy got. Migrant farm workers have better protection under the law than FDX contractors.

The fate of all that money you have tied up in that venture large or small will always be decided by someone other than yourself.

Spencer Patton was not too big to fail. He just wasn't big enough to hit back hard enough.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Just saw a video from Route Consultant called Hello Truck Lease where an attractive female pushes the value of leasing over buying, the odd part is most of the time is taken up with pitching Ground routes. Seems like Patton’s dishing of Ground has caused a high inventory of excess Ground routes.

Patton tells contractors and everyone else that routes aren't making good money, which causes people to dump them left and right, which creates an excess inventory, which drives down prices, which makes it makes it even harder for him to broker sales of routes, which results in a lower fee or commissions for the ones he manages to sell.

HE MUST BE A GENIUS.

zeev

FedEx must be genius they took routes away from their biggest contractor and now they have to fool the next idiot to buy a business which is just an arbitrary contract.

59 Dano

FedEx must be genius they took routes away from their biggest contractor and now they have to fool the next idiot to buy a business which is just an arbitrary contract.
Their biggest contractor had what, 250 routes? How many tens of thousands of routes are there? I bet those 250 are the ones that will kill the company!!!

It will be fine

A clear very public display of how impulsive and fickle Fedex can be when terminating contracts did ten times the harm to the business model than Patton did.

It will be fine

How many routes are being dumped out of how many total?
How many do you think it takes to have a significant ripple effect through the network? I guess if we just keep losing shippers as fast as contractors, you’ll say everything is great because the system still runs. Anything short of bankruptcy is a good plan, right?

59 Dano

How many do you think it takes to have a significant ripple effect through the network?
I'm going to guess more than Patton's 250 or whatever it is (was) out of tens of thousands.

I guess if we just keep losing shippers as fast as contractors, you’ll say everything is great because the system still runs. Anything short of bankruptcy is a good plan, right?
I guess your thing now is saying that things are going to be terribly bad, and when they aren't, take shots at people who notice.

It will be fine

I'm going to guess more than Patton's 250 or whatever it is (was) out of tens of thousands.

I guess your thing now is saying that things are going to be terribly bad, and when they aren't, take shots at people who notice.
Things are bad right now. Volume is down and dropping. You can pretend it’s all the overall economy’s fault but I don’t buy that excuse. What shot did I take at you? Or do you just need to be the victim for some reason?

59 Dano

Things are bad right now. Volume is down and dropping. You can pretend it’s all the overall economy’s fault but I don’t buy that excuse. What shot did I take at you? Or do you just need to be the victim for some reason?
Perhaps I should have worded it better. You respond to critiques of your takes with "anything short of a bankruptcy is a good plan, right" and the like. Heck, the infrastructure was going to be overwhelmed with freight mere weeks before you changed your mind and decided that the infrastructure was going to be starved.

As for the cause for the downturn, a person who doesn't want to believe it's the overall economy can't be convinced that it is, even when it's happening at Ground, Express, UPS, and the USPS.

bbsam

Staff member

It’s actually more messed up than that. The company has very high expectations of contractors but they don’t even come close to understanding their value. That is until they terminate contractors and then can’t fill the positions with solid candidates. The only thing holding Ground upright is the horribly low volume. Even with that low volume failing contractors is not an uncommon occurrence.

It’s truly a dive into the trash barrel. Several years ago a team was formed to go out and find business people to acquire contracts. FedEx wanted those savvy business minds. Scavenging Facebook and Craigslist for whomever they can get to sign on the dotted line.

And yet the stock soars. It’s as though people think that since the company made it through peak all must be well. Somehow Raj and John Smith miraculously fixed the mess. 🤣

Will be interesting if the replace 10% of contractors with Facebook applicants. Even getting those folks ready for their first peak would be challenging especially while dealing with a continuing March of bronze contractors out the door.

Last edited:

It will be fine

Perhaps I should have worded it better. You respond to critiques of your takes with "anything short of a bankruptcy is a good plan, right" and the like. Heck, the infrastructure was going to be overwhelmed with freight mere weeks before you changed your mind and decided that the infrastructure was going to be starved.

As for the cause for the downturn, a person who doesn't want to believe it's the overall economy can't be convinced that it is, even when it's happening at Ground, Express, UPS, and the USPS.
Express and Ground are having layoffs. Freight is having driver furloughs.
UPS and USPS have announced nothing like that.
FedEx has a done a uniquely poor job of managing the current economy. Why can’t you admit it?

bacha29

It’s actually more messed up than that. The company has very high expectations of contractors but they don’t even come close to understanding their value. That is until they terminate contractors and then can’t fill the positions with solid candidates. The only thing holding Ground upright is the horribly low volume. Even with that low volume failing contractors is not an uncommon occurrence.

It’s truly a dive into the trash barrel. Several years ago a team was formed to go out and find business people to acquire contracts. FedEx wanted those savvy business minds. Scavenging Facebook and Craigslist for whomever they can get to sign on the dotted line.

And yet the stock soars. It’s as though people think that since the company made it through peak all must be well. Somehow Raj and John Smith miraculously fixed the mess. 🤣

Will be interesting if the replace 10% of contractors with Facebook applicants. Even getting those folks ready for their first peak would be challenging especially while dealing with a continuing March of cure contractors out the door.
Professional investors, the MBA's, family trusts, private equity firms, the kind of people they want would first do a thorough evaluation of the offering and being who they are they would immediately see the systemic shortcomings and the risks they create along with the fact that the highest margins and asset appreciation went away several years ago. While the stock has made some gains as was pointed out earlier a company's stock price is a poor measurement of it's health given today's quick hit trading environment. Especially one that is a poor a setup to begin with and one that cannot be cheaply and easily streamlined.

Ground contractors who remain will simply have to try and tough it out in the hope that the market will swing back in their favor. Should it do so which isn't likely they should remember that second chances don't come around often.

What is so amazing is the speed by which a venture could go from a lucrative and highly coveted one to one you can't even give it away.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A clear very public display of how impulsive and fickle Fedex can be when terminating contracts did ten times the harm to the business model than Patton did.
This. I'm not an expert on Ground but it should seem obvious to anyone considering doing business with FedEx what they're getting into. The usual suspects here like to remind us that 255 routes is "nothing" and that Patton was squashed like a bug. In terms of killing his routes, he was "eliminated", so if you're a much smaller player how are they going to deal with you? Also, it's pretty clear from researching Patton that he is still a big part of Ground because he's a route broker and vehicle lessor, primarily to Ground contractors. Hello? FedEx just "killed" Patton, but he lives on as an integral part of the company structure. This fact also speaks volumes about Ground itself. Why would competent management let someone like Patton weave themselves so strongly into Ground? He has vertically integrated himself as a player even though they made an example of him by terminating all of his routes. Look at what my right hand is doing but please make sure you ignore what the left one is up to, and pay no attention to the person under the table.

Just like Express, Corporate like to maintain absolute control, another reason that Ground drivers and contractors should really be considered as EMPLOYEES, because their actual level of control over "their" business is minimal and the contracts can be snuffed out on a whim if they misbehave like Patton.