Peak 2013 Begins !!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I don't disagree with what people are posting here from an emotional what do I desire POV.
My posts here do not represent the way I think things should be or how I would want them to be ... but rather to offer a rational, business approach that helps explain why things are "the way they are".
I relate to your frustrations and concerns because the same driving forces (strong competition and that future doomsday financial realities) affected me and other parts of the company you never get a chance to see. There is no one below Level 20 that has not felt the stress and additional workload caused by UPS's reaction to those driving forces.
And the Level 20's have felt it as well and really even more but their compensation has been increased in the false (???) belief that they will feel a strong commitment to UPS and work 24/7 to do what is "best for UPS" (as defined by the Board and Management Committee).

Even upper management has to be concerned with the decision to scale back on capital improvements within the company.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Upper level management is concerned about every decision that is made at their level.

Some analysts have speculated that UPS has inflated its profit by decreasing capital improvements & investments within the company.

Circa 2007, UPS informed us that they would break ground on a new area facility located in the heart of the sprawling suburbs. When the facility was complete, it would replace two 1960s-era facilities and one small, single-belt facility. These plans have been scrapped indefinitely & UPS has relinquished the land. The current network structure is good for the labor market -- probably twice the number of PT jobs, yielding 25 hours or more per week, but incredibly expensive & inefficient. At least one building has special additional handling procedures (re: dedicated PT jobs) for monstrous packages such as Pottery Barn, since it cannot accomodate such packages without excessive damages.

I'm aware upper-management has made these decision, but even they have to be concerned with the long-term impact of such decisions. Of course, most are probably pocketing huge bonuses from status quo, and won't be around/have no interest in the future.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have already outgrown our facility which is less than 10 years old. Actually, to be fair, the building is more than adequate for handling the volume that we deliver and pickup; however, we process trailers full of RTA furniture for Walmart, which I am sure was not part of the original plan. It is not uncommon to come off road to see 15-20 pallets of these pkgs in just about every open bit of space throughout the facility. It is easier during the summer as they can stack them outside but during the winter it can be very hard just to park our cars back in their lanes. The company did have the foresight to buy more land than was needed for the building in case expansion was needed.