Peak Driving - How to get through the first two weeks...

brownrecluse

Greetings. Newbie here, fresh in from Service Provider training :cool:. This is my first peak driving season w/UPS. Our instructor indicated that the first couple of weeks as a new package car driver can be frustrating. Would any of you veteran drivers care to offer any advise on surviving the first couple of weeks? Thanks is advance!

rod

Retired 22 years
Greetings. Newbie here, fresh in from Service Provider training :cool:. This is my first peak driving season w/UPS. Our instructor indicated that the first couple of weeks as a new package car driver can be frustrating. Would any of you veteran drivers care to offer any advise on surviving the first couple of weeks? Thanks is advance!
Actually the first couple of decades as a pkg car driver can be frustrating:) Hang in there

DS

Fenderbender
My advice is to do it right the first time.If you run into a problem in the diad that you cant figure out.prerecord the stop and ask when you get back to the building.Frustrating could be putting it mildly your first couple of days alone,bewildering describes it better.It gets better with time.I learned my first month its unwise to put cans of paint on the shelves.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
Don't exactly know what your circumstances are, ie. if you have your own route or are an air driver etc. But my only advice for you is to get yourself a good map and study it. If you are like me and are terrible with numbers then take ten minutes to go through your stops and write them down then plot them on your map. That way you can visualize your trace and it makes things go much smoother.

brownrecluse

Don't exactly know what your circumstances are, ie. if you have your own route or are an air driver etc. But my only advice for you is to get yourself a good map and study it. If you are like me and are terrible with numbers then take ten minutes to go through your stops and write them down then plot them on your map. That way you can visualize your trace and it makes things go much smoother.

No route yet. I stopped into my center last Friday on my way home from training to get route info, etc. so that I could prep. a bit over the weekend. But they weren't ready for me yet I guess... seemed fairly indifferent actually. I have to call in tomorrow morning to see if I am to report to work or not...

rod

Retired 22 years
No route yet. I stopped into my center last Friday on my way home from training to get route info, etc. so that I could prep. a bit over the weekend. But they weren't ready for me yet I guess... seemed fairly indifferent actually. I have to call in tomorrow morning to see if I am to report to work or not...
You may as well put UPS on speed dial:wink:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
area knowledge is the key,the diad wont teach you ! if you really want to make it,ride around the n/borhood a bit till ya learn it also remember the add of repeat houses then learning the adds of other homes come quicker.believe me you will have houses that will get something everyday good luck and think $$$$ dont get frustrated we have all been in your shoes !!!

Griff

I sure hope not... being a helper for a few days may in fact have its benefits... but I want the driver experience...

Being a helper doesn't help in the transition at all. You don't learn the job until it's just you and the truck all by your lonesome.

brownrecluse

Being a helper doesn't help in the transition at all. You don't learn the job until it's just you and the truck all by your lonesome.

Exactly as I thought. I need a route!!!
I've called in for 3 days in a row now... and for 3 days in a row I have been told thanks - but not enough volume. Call again tomorrow. I'm bummed. As stupid as it may sound... I left a FT job (that I hated) to get my chance at a foot in the door... I expected to be center training for a few days, and be on my own by now...

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
Exactly as I thought. I need a route!!!
I've called in for 3 days in a row now... and for 3 days in a row I have been told thanks - but not enough volume. Call again tomorrow. I'm bummed. As stupid as it may sound... I left a FT job (that I hated) to get my chance at a foot in the door... I expected to be center training for a few days, and be on my own by now...

Geez, that's strange...As a cover driver, I've been on pretty much the same route (a spare) for the last two years. Today they were training a casual on that route and I (a seniority employee) was sent home as well as 5 other FT seniority cover drivers.

Nothing like waiting til the last minute to train casuals....

Maybe you should just show up in your browns and bump a driver off his route....

brownrecluse

Geez, that's strange...As a cover driver, I've been on pretty much the same route (a spare) for the last two years. Today they were training a casual on that route and I (a seniority employee) was sent home as well as 5 other FT seniority cover drivers.
That's no good!

Nothing like waiting til the last minute to train casuals....
I know... I'd like to be able to be helpful/productive when the volume goes through the roof...

Maybe you should just show up in your browns and bump a driver off his route....
What a way to make new friends huh?