Peak is going to suck

BrownArmy

Last peak should have been great, but I went through about twelve different helpers.

Honestly, the areas tighten up so much, just leave me alone and I'll get it done.

I agree though, the Wall Street pendulum is swinging back to, 'drop your pants, grab your ankles, we need to hit those numbers!'

Here in Boston, we actually would have needed all the extra help if it had been a normal winter.

But the snow didn't come until the end of January, and then we got hammered.

Peak last year was a walk in the park (aside from my helper snafus), but the next three months were hell.

(108 inches of snow, after all the 'extra-help' was gone...)

Wilson

Last peak no major storms. This peak no new temp hire and three snow storms. Peak 2015 operations will go down as the greatest crap storm on record.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm starting to believe that whoever actually calls the shots in Atlanta might be a mole for FedEx. Because they seem to be trying very hard to make UPS fail. And not just during peak. It's a daily thing.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
http://www.wsj.com/articles/ups-earnings-surge-led-by-growth-in-international-segment-1438085242

"In addition to charging more, the company plans to use the same number of delivery truck drivers this holiday season, but to extend their hours instead of adding more employees to control costs this year, executives said. UPS is continuing to expand its network capacity, and it is also establishing package pickup locations in 100 cities in an effort to condense deliveries."
I don't care about any of that. Well I do a little. I just don't understand why are we required to still have a seasonal helper. I'm using the phrase helper very lightly here. We basically have to train an unemployable person to do our job minus driving and pray they halve half a brain to do so. They always slow me down, create more stress for me, and I suck at working with a helper when I've been by myself all year. The only thing they save is the amount of steps I take. I don't dread peak. I dread helpers.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Ive never had a bad jumper. Maybe for a day here or there but I always recruited out my jumper from outside ups or from a preloader insider. Heres how the mental manipulation game goes with a jumper. You try and make the job at peak seem more like fun and not a job sorta speak. You help your helper and you buy him some lunch a couple of times and or some snacks or drinks sometimes and if customers throw you some tip money, throw your jumper a few dollars too, to keep him him motivated. THIS IS HOW THE MENTAL MANIPULATION game is played with your jumper. I like having a jumper, gives you somebody to talk to and hang out with all day to keep your mind off the long asczz day we endure everyday. Its all bout doing a little homework and some prep work to make the situation work in your favor. Its just like anything else you do in life, if you dont have a plan of attack going in then your not thinking about it enough and that person is unprepared for the situation or task at hand.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This peak I am going to work between 59 and 60 hours every week during the month of December, just like have done every peak for the last 28 years. The hours are a constant in the equation; the only variable will be how many missed stops I bring back each night. Thats on management, not me.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You actually get a helper all day? Last peak we rarely had a helper go with a driver for more than 3 hours.

All the years I had helpers, I was on rural routes. I'd laugh when in the morning I was told I could use the helper for something like 2.65 hours.

Riiiight, I'm gonna pick someone up, work them for almost 2 hours, and turn around to drop them off. No. All freaking day or not at all.

Always got all freaking day.

Box Ox

This peak going to be way worse than last year we already know it. ITS AUGUST 1ST AND RIGHT NOW I DONT GIVE A BUCK ABOUT PEAK LOL.

Trying to add it to my own list that rhymes with "bucket list" (thanks, Obama!) but have a feeling I'm in for a bad helper this year. My helper last year jumped every stop like he was going for Olympic gold even though I told him he didn't have to. Even helped sort my super ultra Helen Keller/Stevie Wonder load while I looked for next stops. That kinda help 2 years in a row? Have doubts! Especially if helper allowances are consistently small/ridiculous this year and the good helpers rightly decide it's not worth their time/they'd rather be with family the week before Christmas. Last year I was sometimes told to keep 'em for as long as needed regardless of allowance.

MAKAVELI

And the more they make, the more they whine. I am just thankful to have a job.
I'm just saying, every job has its downsides. But when you consider you guys are able to make double what the competition makes, with superior benefits, I'd take anything management throws at me with a smile.

I'm just saying, every job has its downsides. But when you consider you guys are able to make double what the competition makes, with superior benefits, I'd take anything management throws at me with a smile.
Every new driver says that for a year or two. Then they want on the 9.5 list or 8 hour request or fighting to see who can have the day off.

MAKAVELI

Every new driver says that for a year or two. Then they want on the 9.5 list or 8 hour request or fighting to see who can have the day off.
If after a year or two they are already crying, they are not cut out for this job. Being at Express for a while, I could honestly say I would have no problem doing more stops for the pay and benefits you guys get.