Peak Readiness...

UPS1907

I love the cheerleaders and happy UPSer.com videos, but be honest "Are you and your center ready for Peak 2014?"

The_Brown_Hornet

The brass in Atlanta should go outside to day. Its in the 30-40's. Maybe they will realize it will snow in many areas between now and Christmas. You would thinks after the ice storm in Atlanta last year that left people stuck on flat ground for hours our corporate executives would realize peak production is impossible in wintery conditions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The brass in Atlanta should go outside to day. Its in the 30-40's. Maybe they will realize it will snow in many areas between now and Christmas. You would thinks after the ice storm in Atlanta last year that left people stuck on flat ground for hours our corporate executives would realize peak production is impossible in wintery conditions.

...yet somehow we do it every year here in snowy Upstate NY...

The_Brown_Hornet

...yet somehow we do it every year here in snowy Upstate NY...

And we do it every year where I am. The truth is in order to work safely in less than favorable conditions you have to work at a slower pace. Even if its a half a stop a hour reduction. In my case I run 12 stops a hour, if I have 144 stops and I drop to 11 stops a hour because I have to reduce my speed and walk slower to and from stops then I can only run 132 stops in 12 hours. The folks in Atlanta don't understand that simple math.

Upstate do they have magic carpets up there the keep you from driving on slick/unsafe roads?

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
We should know if we are ready by the middle of December. Last year we were ready, until back to back ice storms in Dallas occurred, and Amazon blew us up.
I think they have made a lot of improvements, but with a company this large, it will be a several year plan to catch up. I like the motivation and positive outlook, but I wish they would tone down the "we are ready" cheer. We are "more ready", but under promise and over deliver would be a good approach.

O/C

The killer is closing a building during bad weather, even one or two days will ruin the best of plans.

Sent using BrownCafe App

brownIEman

We were sending people home or to other centers even after adding routes the week after Thanksgiving. We are more ready than we have ever been, and ready as we can be. Is that ready enough? Time will tell...

TxRoadDawg

only numbers that matter is the weather. mild next two weeks were perfect. ice over phili dallas or louisville all the temp hires in the country wont be able to salvage things

Coldworld

60 months and counting
And we do it every year where I am. The truth is in order to work safely in less than favorable conditions you have to work at a slower pace. Even if its a half a stop a hour reduction. In my case I run 12 stops a hour, if I have 144 stops and I drop to 11 stops a hour because I have to reduce my speed and walk slower to and from stops then I can only run 132 stops in 12 hours. The folks in Atlanta don't understand that simple math.
Wow..so you are saying that if it is icy out your production only slows down to 1 less stop per hour...seems like you should be slowing down more than that...you sound like a runner gunner...that is until you fall on your tailbone and it feels like your lower spine got cracked open....its happen to me once and it didn't feel good

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
No they have transporters

Upstate do they have magic carpets up there the keep you from driving on slick/unsafe roads?
Maybe they have transporters,that's the only thing I can think of in upstate's perfect world!

worldwide

I love the cheerleaders and happy UPSer.com videos, but be honest "Are you and your center ready for Peak 2014?"

Based on many accounts on the Café, UPS was better prepared this peak and spent the required funds to get things better. I've got to admit that I had my doubts but it looks like the plan worked and ups was "ready".