Peak Season Frustration Vent

DS

Fenderbender
Our peak started out hard and early.I chose the last week of November as va-ca.
It was crazy busy so I hear.Our center manager made a decree.He want's everyone back and punched out by 7PM.
Sending me out with my minimum stop count,calling for help with bulk and late pickups,actually
made it possible.This is probably the easiest peak I've been through in 23 years.
I wish he'd do this all year.I got 5 hrs OT,and that's enough for me.

I respect your ability to utilize your helper effectively, but in my barn, and in most barns if those were my Wednesday numbers my Thursday dispatch would be 205 stops, 550 pkgs. I teach every helper I get to use the board, and every stop they deliver is in the helper board. For the most part they aren't particularly fast, and I don't particularly care.
I worked for UPS over 30 yrs and never heard another UPSer use the term barn. Are you a troll?

The term barn was used alot in my early days at UPS. Not so much at the end. Surprised that an old timer like yourself never heard the term.
The terms always used are centers and hubs. I started in '72 and those were the terms used in those days. Any current Upsers...what are the terms used today?

curiousbrain

The terms always used are centers and hubs. I started in '72 and those were the terms used in those days. Any current Upsers...what are the terms used today?

I'm not a driver, and not an old-timer by any stretch, but some of the terms I hear used to describe the center where I am employed ... are not repeatable, even in censored form.

over9five

Staff member
We mostly say "building", but "barn" is pretty common too. I'm amazed there are people who have never heard the term.
Could be a regional thing, I guess.

I usually use the term hub if I know someones from one of the large ones in the area. Building if smaller or unknown. Tiny shacks like in my town are barns.

Speedy Cerviche

I'm having a really hard day walking into businesses that don't hate their employees today. Everyone is so happy, getting fed, getting the afternoon off.

...And I have a split. I mean, I'm only 50 over my theoretical "max" so I guess the extra 30ish stops won't kill me.