Pension buyout

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pay off traffic tickets and to pay off my car

Pay off traffic tickets-------ask a family member for a short term loan which you could repay with your tax refund.

Pay off my car------depending upon the APR of your car note this may or may not be a smart move. If the APR is 10% or less and you are losing 10% of the lump sum as an early withdrawal penalty and 20% or so when you file your taxes next year, it would not be a smart move.

Shecoope

Pay off traffic tickets-------ask a family member for a short term loan which you could repay with your tax refund.

Pay off my car------depending upon the APR of your car note this may or may not be a smart move. If the APR is 10% or less and you are losing 10% of the lump sum as an early withdrawal penalty and 20% or so when you file your taxes next year, it would not be a smart move.
My family is not gonna let me get they much money

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Kid, if it sounds as though I am being unduly harsh with you, that's because I am. While you may be 34 years away from being 65, the time to prepare for retirement is now.

Based on what you are planning on using the money for, I am going to assume that your lump sum payment is between $15-20K. Taking the lump sum payment will take care of your immediate needs; however, if you took that same $15-20K, put it in to a Traditional IRA and left it there for 34 years, based on an annual return of 8%, you would have turned that $20K in to $200K.

In case you change your mind, you have 60 days after you receive the distribution to roll it over and avoid the 10% penalty and 20% income tax.

Last edited:

El Correcto

god is dead
Kid, if it sounds as though I am being unduly harsh with you, that's because I am. While you may be 34 years away from being 65, the time to prepare for retirement is now.

Based on what you are planning on using the money for, I am going to assume that your lump sum payment is between $15-20K. Taking the lump sum payment will take care of your immediate needs; however, if you took that same $15-20K, put it in to a Traditional IRA and left it there for 34 years, based on an annual return of 8%, you would have turned that $20K in to $200K.

In case you change your mind, you have 60 days after you receive the distribution to roll it over and avoid the 10% penalty and 20% income tax.
Anything could happen in that 34 years. Take the money and go vacation. Yolo