Pension Consolidation

barnyard

KTM rider
I would love to see a transition to defined contribution. I have 15 years FT and have zero confidence that I will collect anything from Central States.

barnyard

KTM rider
and here is the thing with defined contribution... It does not matter how many years I put in, when I leave, I am taking my 401k with me. I am not talking about a 3% match BS either. If UPS is contributing $25k per year for my pension, that is what I would like to see put into my 401k.

MAKAVELI

and here is the thing with defined contribution... It does not matter how many years I put in, when I leave, I am taking my 401k with me. I am not talking about a 3% match BS either. If UPS is contributing $25k per year for my pension, that is what I would like to see put into my 401k.
What makes you think they will be putting in $25k? The personal contribution limit is $18,000.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not if the company matches a certain percentage. Individual can put in 18G, company can match what they want.

Not quite:

The employer matching contributions don't count toward the maximum limits that you can contribute to a 401(k) plan. There is, however, a combined contribution limit of $53,000 for the employer and employee contributions in 2015. Also, in 2015, the employee's contribution limit is $18,000.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Not quite:

The employer matching contributions don't count toward the maximum limits that you can contribute to a 401(k) plan. There is, however, a combined contribution limit of $53,000 for the employer and employee contributions in 2015. Also, in 2015, the employee's contribution limit is $18,000.
If an individual contributed the max amount and the company matched a percentage to get to 53,000, that would be quite a match. I don't know of too many companies that would match 2-1 percentage points.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If an individual contributed the max amount and the company matched a percentage to get to 53,000, that would be quite a match. I don't know of too many companies that would match 2-1 percentage points.

My son's employer offers a full match to 4% and an additional .5% per 1% up to 6%. He sets aside 10% and they match half of that. Pretty sweet deal.

barnyard

KTM rider
What makes you think they will be putting in $25k? The personal contribution limit is $18,000.

Just throwing out a number for conversations sake.

When many think of going to a 401k, they think of a 3% match or some other BS number. I am suggesting that UPS contribute a certain amount per hou worked (just like they do now), but instead of giving it to the Teamsters, they give it to the 401k of my choice.

When many think of going to a 401k, they think of a 3% match or some other BS number. I am suggesting that UPS contribute a certain amount per hou worked (just like they do now), but instead of giving it to the Teamsters, they give it to the 401k of my choice.
Do you really think that the Teamsters are going to negotiate themselves out of a multi billion dollar pension program?

MAKAVELI

Eliminating your pension would be the downfall of the Teamsters in my opinion.