Pension Consolidation

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Your anecdotal evidence aside, it really depends on perspective, and what you think the goal is.

30 percent of Americans have no retirement savings at all. Of the ones that do, the average 401k savings for someone at retirement age is around 100k. If the goal is to save for retirement, that's a failure.

If the goal of a 401k is to funnel money to wall street, and allow the upper middle class to avoid taxes, then it's a resounding success.
OH ... so it is the individuals that are the problem, not the 401k itself.
Sure, I'll go along with that.
Same as life in general.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
... that have not prepared for retirement.
Exactly, taking care of people that can't take care of themselves is one of the quintessential problems of a civilized society. Pensions did a better job of that than 401ks. Like I said, it's all about perspective, and what you think the goal really was.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Exactly, taking care of people that can't take care of themselves is one of the quintessential problems of a civilized society. Pensions did a better job of that than 401ks. Like I said, it's all about perspective, and what you think the goal really was.
Big :censored2:ing differnce between 'cant' take care of themselves' and 'choose to not take care of themselves'.
I personally don't think that is a problem ... with that person, of society and especially of the Government.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I see a few problems with it.
For example, as a libertarian, I'm confused as to why people get a tax break for retirement savings. Maybe you can explain that one to me.
Because the US Central Government wanted to incent people to save for retirement so the US Government would not have to support all the deadbeat citizens.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That difference blurs a lot when the market tanks at retirement time.
My 401k did not tank at my retirement age ... I had over 50% in Bonds and other type investments.
That is the fault of the individual once again ... every piece of investment starts off with ...
... "diversification is an essential part of every person's investment plan" ...
or sumtin' like that anyway.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
My 401k did not tank at my retirement age ... I had over 50% in Bonds and other type investments.
That is the fault of the individual once again ... every piece of investment starts off with ...
... "diversification is an essential part of every person's investment plan" ...
or sumtin' like that anyway.
Look, the bottom line is that a 401k does not compare to a pension at all. It's a completely different beast.

In a world where a pension never existed, 401k's are great.
In a world where corporations pushed for 401k's over pensions..... well there's a reason for that, and it's not because they were looking out for their employees.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Look, the bottom line is that a 401k does not compare to a pension at all. It's a completely different beast.

In a world where a pension never existed, 401k's are great.
In a world where corporations pushed for 401k's over pensions..... well there's a reason for that, and it's not because they were looking out for their employees.
No doubt!
What dummy said that?
Just because UPS used a euphemism (enhancement) to soften the cuts ... non-Union employees are still bleeding.

upschuck

A properly run pension would be a better solution than individuals trying to invest themselves for the vast majority of us. The pension has professional investors that know what they are doing, and can move money around, a lot sooner than you or I can. The problem with the pensions, is people getting the money out, that was not contributed for, and promising too high of benefits.

Everybody on here would probably agree, that with a large sum of money, would tell you to go to a financial advisor to invest, to get the best return. That would be like some yahoo off the street telling you how to best do your job.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Curious to the discussion as all these people who haven't prepared for retirement, I don't have a new car, boat, take tons of time off. While each person has an individual goal, because someone has a different idea of what a goal is (mine to retire comfortably) why are we blaming a system, product if you will.

It's like saying cars are massive failure as a mode of transport, because you can't afford one. Yet the person who can't afford one doesn't feel as though working to obtain money for it is worth it. So that same person decides vacationing and living it up on his salary is the right way to do it because it's what his goals are. Meanwhile, someone else wants a car and works hard for it, yet does he say vacationing is a massive failure, because he has different goals?