People who do not use all their sick/option days before being payed out?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I always chose option 3. I usually took enough days during the year to use them all up. A couple of years, especially at the end of my career, I ended up with a couple of days they cut me a check for. I tried to keep 1 or 2 days for the end of the year, because I would usually catch a bug of some kind when the season changed. A check for a couple of days right before Christmas came in handy sometimes. Plus, if you call in sick here, if you have days available, they automatically apply them. It's to their benefit to burn your days as soon as possible, so if you go over, you become an "absentee problem." Scared to call in? naaaaa, not me.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We get 5 sick and 5 personal days here. Once I had kids I never use my sick/personal days for myself. Last year, after 21 years, was the first time I was ever paid off for unused sick/personal days. I tried to use them at the last minute but got denied for every one of them. As of right now, I have 4 sick and 4 personal left and they expire at the end of April. Not sure I will get them in or not. I'll take one on my birthday. Having off for 5 months put hinderance on my day off usage. ;)

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I divided up my option week last year as it was my final year of 3+1 vacation weeks so now i'm sitting on 54 hours of sick time myself.

I'll be buying a shiny new handgun in May with that check. It's nice getting what amounts to a peak season paycheck in May.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I see this a lot. Why?

Wouldn't they rather have the time off but instead never use their sick days?

Are they too scared to call out?

I have had years where a lot of things happened all at once. Family members dropping like flies, hurricanes, and hospital trips all in short order. My days are insurance. If I were single with no worries, sure I would burn up all my days.