Phil (Duck Dynasty) covered under 1st Amendment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I coined this phrase.... Years ago.

Now.... it is in print. On the internets.

UPS...

"Where the Men are Men.... And so are the Women"

upschuck

Its obvious A&E hasn't thought this through because this is a tight knit family with plenty of wealth who simply won't care if they are on tv or not. Whats going to happen here is the rest of the family will refuse to do the show which will leave A&E in a tough position to either drop their ratings juggernaut entirely(highest rated show in cable tv history!) or allow a very small percentage of the population to be upset that Phil Robertson doesn't agree with their lifestyle as a result of his religious beliefs. This will get interesting...

I bet that they don't watch the show anyway.

M

MenInBrown

I thought everyone is entitled to their own opinion and beliefs? Why homosexuals be as tolerate as they want everyone else to be? Stop being a hypocrite. I have a gay sister in law and she is all pissed off about it. Doesn't that make her just like him?

M

MenInBrown

I've never seen the show, but the family is everywhere. Have the rest of them backed Phil up at all? That show must make A&E a ton of cake. Seems to me the rest of the family could do something to get Phil back.

You know money will win out! I think the family should go to A&E's competition.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Obviously an A&E dweep set up the interview.
Of course, perhaps the ratings were down a bit and they needed to kick-start the new year/seasons exposure.
But I am still having trouble with the point of this thread. Is there a violation of human rights here, strictly ignoring the fact that this whole ordeal is a cheap promotion for ratings and selling junk to drooling, TV addicted Americans?
In theory; the guy made his points, the employer didn't like them and suspended him.
Conceptually I have no problem with that, since the hoopla would and could then significantly impact future viewers and consumer trends, which is the basis of television.

Nimnim

The Nim
Have any of you considered that it could be the show sponsors pressuring the network which led to the suspension?

I would, but considering the news I read and heard on the radio last night, not one of the sponsors said anything about dropping and one even stated their support for Phil.

Nimnim

The Nim
Phil Robertson is entitled to his opinions, he didn't call for violence or anything of the sort. Most likely some peon or executive knowing what he'd say because let's face it he doesn't hide his beliefs thought that getting him an interview with GQ would cause some controversy, but they didn't expect the response from the gay organizations and acted in a way they felt appropriate, but it's obvious the majority vocal opinion disagreed.

I don't think this is a 1st amendment issue because there's no government involvement, just 2 private entities. Is it bad PR, in my opinion, but it's not illegal. If A&E decides to stand firm with this, they're going to suffer from it. The only public outcry I've seen is from a minority and I'm hearing the boycott talk and movement is gaining huge grounds.

Have any of you considered that it could be the show sponsors pressuring the network which led to the suspension?

Consider the more likely scenario is that A&E handlers made the sponsors aware of the GQ request for an interview and seeing even more opportunity for exposure ($$$$$) gave it the green light in the first place.

moreluck

golden ticket member
There are letters flying about for signatures in support of Phil.

I would not be buying stock in A & E right now. If the #1 show is in trouble,they will lose!

Oh, and I'm sure A&E arranged the interview with GQ. He/she needs to go !

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
That pic is Tina Fey
I too was curious about all the different pics, and I think your right, Tina Fey. The funniest part is, it looks like a yearbook pic of someone I know, & I messaged sleeve yesterday, asking if it were her!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Maybe somebody should ask PETA how many of the animals Peta kills do they eat.

The insane maniacs at PETA have spoken… and I’m guessing nobody cares.
Via PETA:
PETA wants A&E to do more than suspend one of the characters on Duck Dynasty for damning gays. We call on the channel to challenge the entire crew of duck slayers to ignore Sarah Palin’s self-serving slap on the back for spewing hate speech and deny that they are as anti-gay as they are anti-animal. All people who consider themselves followers of Christ should follow all His teachings—and that includes showing mercy, compassion, and kindness to all of God’s creation, human and nonhuman alike. What’s “sinful” is hating people and animals. PETA asks everyone who consider themselves to be Christian to reject hate speech and call for this show’s cancellation.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
butt-dynasty.jpg

wkmac

Don't watch it, never have, never had desire or reason too. But in watching all the media and now public cackling over it, I see the whole damn thing useful in a mindless diversion that could go something like this.

While you're pre-occupied with nonsense, what is really happening where you are not looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.