Phil (Duck Dynasty) covered under 1st Amendment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldngray

nowhere special
A roadrunner is a lot like a duck. Might be dangerous for some people to run around Louisiana during hunting season.

upswife75

For any of those decrying freedom of speech here, I went to the search bar to find your posts of support for Martin Bashir getting canned for his comments and they seem to have all disappeared. Why is that? Oh wait, because those that are upset about a PRIVATE company deciding that they didn't want this guy to be the image they portrayed likely had no problem with Bashir being fired for basically the exact same premise. Funny how that works.

Unless the man was arrested for his words, his rights have not been infringed upon.

moreluck

golden ticket member
For any of those decrying freedom of speech here, I went to the search bar to find your posts of support for Martin Bashir getting canned for his comments and they seem to have all disappeared. Why is that? Oh wait, because those that are upset about a PRIVATE company deciding that they didn't want this guy to be the image they portrayed likely had no problem with Bashir being fired for basically the exact same premise. Funny how that works.

Unless the man was arrested for his words, his rights have not been infringed upon.
It's just that Martin Bashir isn't worth the use of any letters in the alphabet.....that's why you found nothing!!

oldngray

nowhere special

Not even close to the same situation. Bashir made an unprompted vulgar personal attack again Palin. Robertson answered a question during an interview and did not attack any individuals, just said that he believed homosexuality was wrong (hate the sin but love the sinner). It isn't a first amendment issue but is a case of many people disgusted with the actions of A&E in handling the situation.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Not even close to the same situation. Bashir made an unprompted vulgar personal attack again Palin. Robertson answered a question during an interview and did not attack any individuals, just said that he believed homosexuality was wrong (hate the sin but love the sinner). It isn't a first amendment issue but is a case of many people disgusted with the actions of A&E in handling the situation.

To show they are being fair, they hate MSNBC too!

upswife75

So now we are categorizing free speech. Personally, I couldn't give a damn less what the guy says, because the words of a two bit, fake reality show celebrity doesn't effect me, but then, neither does the network doing what they have the right to do by getting rid of him. I would imagine there was likely something in his contract that would allow this, anyway. Bashir gave his opinion while doing a political show, no different than tons of other political pundits, like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Rachel Maddow, etc. MSNBC had every right to get rid of him the same way A&E had a right to get rid of Robertson. Like I said, people are all fine and dandy with freedom of speech, so long as they agree with the words being said.

palin bashir.jpg

upswife75

And just for the record, I thought Bashir's words were pretty vile also, in spite of the fact that I think Palin is a twit. I do believe though, that he had a right to say them. I also believe MSNBC had a right to send him packing.

upswife75

Of course, while the sheep were crying about a stupid reality show star, congress was fast tracking the new NDAA without anyone bothering to notice.

moreluck

golden ticket member
So now we are categorizing free speech. Personally, I couldn't give a damn less what the guy says, because the words of a two bit, fake reality show celebrity doesn't effect me, but then, neither does the network doing what they have the right to do by getting rid of him. I would imagine there was likely something in his contract that would allow this, anyway. Bashir gave his opinion while doing a political show, no different than tons of other political pundits, like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Rachel Maddow, etc. MSNBC had every right to get rid of him the same way A&E had a right to get rid of Robertson. Like I said, people are all fine and dandy with freedom of speech, so long as they agree with the words being said.

View attachment 10719
To defecate into Palin's mouth is an opinion????? OK, if you say so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gizes-saying-defecate-Sarah-Palins-mouth.html

upswife75

To defecate into Palin's mouth is an opinion????? OK, if you say so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gizes-saying-defecate-Sarah-Palins-mouth.html

Well, unless you are trying to say it's a fact, then yes, it is. Doesn't mean you or I have to agree with it. Phil Robertson saying that blacks were happy under Jim Crow laws is an opinion also. He also compared Shintoism to Nazism. That would also be an opinion. Are you having difficulties with the definition of opinion, luck? If so, let me help ya out.

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/
noun
  1. 1.
    a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.