Physical Advice

unload81st

Hello,

New to the forum here. And just wanted some fellow UPSers to give me some advice on how to reduce the physical pain/stress on the body when first starting out. I am an unloader and I have been doing this for about 5 days now, and my body is KILLING me. I knew this would happen, but I was wondering what do you all do to help ease or soothe the pain afterwards or during work? How long will it take the body to get used to it?

Thank you!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Welcome to being physically active. I've been working out and running for years and I still get sore muscles and aches from time to time. The mental aspect is what gets most people.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hello,

New to the forum here. And just wanted some fellow UPSers to give me some advice on how to reduce the physical pain/stress on the body when first starting out. I am an unloader and I have been doing this for about 5 days now, and my body is KILLING me. I knew this would happen, but I was wondering what do you all do to help ease or soothe the pain afterwards or during work? How long will it take the body to get used to it?

Thank you!
Took me about two months to get used to it. Hot showers and advil.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Loading feeders took me about 3 weeks to get used to physically. Unloading feeders always wrecked my back and I'd get light headed bending over for so long for the stuff on the floor. I never got used to that.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Loading feeders took me about 3 weeks to get used to physically. Unloading feeders always wrecked my back and I'd get light headed bending over for so long for the stuff on the floor. I never got used to that.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app
Yup...bending under the shelves in the pc's in the summer...sometimes I stand up and get dizzy and my vision gets blurry as hell for a min. Eventually I'll get used to it...lol.

Johney

Hello,

Thank you!
Suck it up.

JL 0513

Within a couple of weeks you won't be sore anymore. Unless you've reached your 30's or especially 40's then you've reached the age where something's always going to hurt.

The body has a good way of adapting to whatever you throw at it. The soreness you feel when you start something new certainly makes you realize what you're doing to your body though. Then you realize you're going to do it for years. No wonder the wear and tear kills us.

40 stops to freedom

save irregs and overweights for last when its easier for you to get assistance from the spa person..
use your loadstand and if you have an extendo bring it up and to the floor so you can more shuffle boxes to the belt than actually lift them onto it
find your pace you can maintain it the whole shift every shift and you will naturally get faster and or stay the same as you become more adept.
one of the last people I see fall out of preload would wear themselves out going bonkers in their first trailor and then look like they were about to die the rest of the shift

PT Car Washer

Find a comfortable pace for right now. The speed will come later. This is a physical job and no one in their right mind will expect you to work at the level UPS wants the first week.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When you start burning every new hire out in the first 2 weeks, HR and others are going to start thinking it's the sups fault.
New hires who quit don't burn out....they just can't hack it. Or don't want to work that hard. I've seen guys half my age walk off and quit in their first hour of loading...lol. Sometimes me and the guy who works next to me take bets...lol.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Try to maintain an athletic position while working. Feet shoulder width, slight bend in the knees, and back straight. Use your legs, legs, legs! You'll get used to the demands in a few weeks. Stay hydrated and get a lot of sleep.

Future

Victory Ride
I think stretching plays a key role(NO Indecision, not that kind of stretching) before you start your day and while you are working. The "Methods" the company drill into our minds for lifting lowering, moving etc do work to a degree, but sometimes in the heat of the battle they might get overlooked. Stay focused while working on proper lifting and lowering methods drink water as much as you can. After a while your body will except what muscle groups you are using continuesly.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Sorry, but Teamcare doesn't cover that. Don't even think of switching to Obamacare either! That covers even less!