Plantar Fasciitis

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I write off as much as I can. All I know is every year at tax time I get em to write it off. Same goes for my cell phone bill also.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Publication 17 (2012), Your Federal Income Tax
You can deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes if the following two requirements are met.

• You must wear them as a condition of your employment.
  • The clothes are not suitable for everyday wear.

caution.gif

It is not enough that you wear distinctive clothing. The clothing must be specifically required by your employer. Nor is it enough that you do not, in fact, wear your work clothes away from work. The clothing must not be suitable for taking the place of your regular clothing.

Thus, your work shoes are not tax deductible. And even if you claim your work shoes, your tax liability will be reduced by only a few bucks.

Shoes, socks, under armour boxer jocks and under shirts. Every year. I wear these things for nothing else and nor would I want to. Therefore they are a tax write off. And it's better to get a few dollars back rather than none at all.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I know that Bill Clinton valued his used undershirts at $3 on his tax returns .
How much do you declare your used underwear for ?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Shoes, socks, under armour boxer jocks and under shirts. Every year. I wear these things for nothing else and nor would I want to. Therefore they are a tax write off. And it's better to get a few dollars back rather than none at all.

Per the IRS (as linked in a previous post), these are not tax deductible; even if dedicated for work, they can reasonably be worn outside of work (sans maybe brown socks). The reason this rule was implemented was because of the ions of Nordstrom's employees claiming Tommy Bahama clothing (dedicated for work), office persons claiming suits (that they may wear to other special events), etc.

You may claim whatever you like, I don't care, I'm just pointing this out not to mislead others.

I know that Bill Clinton valued his used undershirts at $3 on his tax returns .
How much do you declare your used underwear for ?

In 1986 Bill Clinton valued DONATED used underwear as $3/pair. 10 years later this stirred a public outroar and the IRS solidified its rules so that used clothing must reflect market value -- e.g. your used underwear are worth nothing.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Im sure the irs aint going to audit ya for writing off shoes and sox for work. Like really dude come on bro.

If you continue to deduct your cell phone bill, as you indicated above, I'd be surprised if you weren't eventually audited. And when you're audited, you better have documentation for everything. And yes, inappropriate deductions will be reversed and you will pay stiff penalties.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
So, a few months after I started driving I began getting really bad pain in the bottom of my feet. After the car ride home from work, after sitting on the couch for a while at night, and worst of all when getting out of bed in the morning I'm walking like a 70 year old for those first few steps. After being up and around for a while the pain is mostly gone. I don't jump out of the truck--I use the hand rail most of the time, etc.

I went out to dinner with my folks tonight and my mom told me I have Plantar Fasciitis. She has no medical background but the woman is way smarter than I am so I looked it up when I got home and it looks right.

Plantar Fasciitis - Symptoms, Treatments, Causes of Plantar Fasciitis - from WebMD

Most of us suffer with various ailments from the job and the pain and don't talk about it but I'm just wondering if anyone has this same thing and if you've tried cortizone shots, some other treatment or if you've found a way to modify how you deliver to fix it?
STOP and WAIT before you do cortisone!!! Cortisone eventually causes the breakdown of the cartilage in your joints, so the chance of relief may in fact, cause pain in the future. Plantar as with many tendon issues are usually caused by tight muscles surrounding the area of soreness. For instance, tight calves pulling on the Achilles, which in turn gives heal/plantar pain. Well maintained muscle usually cuts down on any joint pain. Massages, rolling out, stretching are all good ways to maintain muscles, tendons and joints.

Another culprit are worn out/poorly fitting shoes. For this I recommend people go to an established running shoe store, podiatrist, chiropractor or physical therapist to have a gait analysis performed. This will help you find the right shoe for your individual feet and stride. I don't recommend N'Said's or any other medications because the pain that is there is just your body's way of letting you know that something is not right. Once you correct the issue, the pain WILL subside. Remember, just like car tires need to be changed after so much use, so do shoes, no matter how much we like them. I wear mine 3-4 months and jump in a new pair. Of course this depends on the amount of use, but shoes that have medium to heavy use, usually have broken down by 3-4 months.

Scoot

I dealt with this for years. Cortisone was my only relief. Doc would only allow me to get the shots once a year though. Is your left foot worse than your right? If so are you driving a stick? A few months after I got an automatic truck on my route and quit pushing in that clutch a thousand times a day.....gone. Have never had an issue with it since.

MethodsMan

No plantar fasciitis, but I have good blisters on both feet right now from walking off a couple packages on freshly paved road that were smoking hot last week on a route I cover. Gotta make that service :) Granny needs her QVC

CaptainObvious

I went through this also about 10 years ago. Exact symptoms you describe but i had a large bump between my heel and arch. Went through everything that has been mentioned here already, physical Therapy, inserts, NSAIDs, and cortisone injections before they finally did a MRI. Found out the tendon had torn and the scar tissue from the tear was causing the lump. Had surgery to repair the tear and all is good now.

What ever you do don't put it off like I did. The sooner you treat it the better!

cynic

Physical therapist had me get a 2x4 to do foot stretches with first thing in the morning. Put it down flat, placed ball of foot on 2x4, heel of foot on floor, straightened leg, then raised up til foot level with floor, then heel back on floor. After about 6 weeks started to feel better. Comments on freezing water bottles to roll under foot arch and using golf ball to massage arch area are on the mark as well.