Plastic or Paper - Which is better for the environment?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Back to the bags… here in Los Angeles county all plastic bags are supposedly banned (Target still uses them, but not the grocery stores?) as of January 1. Now if you want a paper bag it will cost you .10 per bag.

I prefer paper, but I wish the stores had handles on them like Trader Joes. Oh well, that's life as a Californian. I've been recycling all my garbage for years now, so it's not that big of a deal.
I like paper better, because I can reuse it for various things and not feel bad about throwing it away. But my local grocery doesn't even ask, and they seem almost agitated when I ask for paper. I guess it's easier to throw stuff in a plastic bag than to take the time to properly bag groceries.

Inspired by a post by Browndevil in another thread in which he asked "Plastic or Paper" at the grocery store.

Here, in GA, the national chains sell the cloth bags that you bring in to bag your groceries and you use them over and over.
$1 each and they hold about twice what a plastic bag holds.
Other wise, it's plastic or plastic and they are all the same color.

Piggly Wiggly still has paper bags an we get paper when we go there (none in our hometown).

I personally use the plastic bags to carry off our "spoil-able" trash off - I usually take them back to the grocery store or the gas station.
We recycle all cardboard, cans, plastics, newspapers, etc. and I drop them off at the recycle station once every 3 months or so.

PS- We live out in the country and we have a 650 concrete driveway with a gate so we can't get any of the garbage collection companies to drive up to our house to get our trash.
I've offered them $50 / month (over 3 times their rate) but none of them will do it.
None of these garbage collection companies support a recycle program either ... I find that interesting.
My wife is a compulsive recycler. She has a problem not recycling anything. We have a big green garbage can from republic. It holds a ton. It's never enough. I end up burning a lot of paper in the fire pit.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Back to the bags… here in Los Angeles county all plastic bags are supposedly banned (Target still uses them, but not the grocery stores?) as of January 1. Now if you want a paper bag it will cost you .10 per bag.

I prefer paper, but I wish the stores had handles on them like Trader Joes. Oh well, that's life as a Californian. I've been recycling all my garbage for years now, so it's not that big of a deal.

I visit family in the Los Angeles-area a few times per year, and noticed (beginning over a year ago) that many Krogers were charging a dime per paper bag; however, they still offered complimentary plastic bags with a sign reminding consumers that they were free to recycle in-store. I assumed at the time that Kroger was playing politics (guess I was right). The Kroger in Malibu still offered free paper bags (plastic has been banned for awhile there) in November - not certain if they're going to start charging. The Krogers by my house (Midwest) still use strong paper bags that house handles. Always amusing to watch people liberally grab a stack as they walk out, and the store do nothing about it.

I typically bring my own reusable bags, anyway; I did that before it was cool because I spilled milk in my car... if you've had that happen, you'd understand why I wanted something stronger :). My mom's notorious for purchasing 10 two-liters of soda (when they're 10/10), TRIPLE bagging them, then putting them in a box in her car's hatch, tossing out the bags in the parking lot. Wastefulness always kills me.

gingerkat

Bagels - yup that is the problem with paper bags…the heavy stuff! I do have the reusable ones, but they get icky from meat products and I honestly seem to forget them in the car. Since I live by myself I don't cook that often, because cooking for one is just no fun! I totally forgot about the new ban as of 1/1/14 and just about :censored2: myself at paying for bags that I don't need.

Oh well, live and learn.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Since I live by myself I don't cook that often, because cooking for one is just no fun!

When I do cook I make enough for 2 or 3 meals so that all I have to do when I come home from work is pop the leftovers in to the microwave.

You can wash the reusable bags but I still use plastic----most of the stores here have bins to recycle the plastic bags.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Bagels - yup that is the problem with paper bags…the heavy stuff! I do have the reusable ones, but they get icky from meat products and I honestly seem to forget them in the car. Since I live by myself I don't cook that often, because cooking for one is just no fun! I totally forgot about the new ban as of 1/1/14 and just about :censored2: myself at paying for bags that I don't need.

Oh well, live and learn.

I go through periods where I'll leave mine in the car, but I buy so few items at once (to minimize/eliminate waste) that I'll simply carry - or leave them in the cart - them to my car where I'll then bag them. Unless I'm being lazy. They get messy, yes, but I have a pile of them and will toss them in the washer every so often. Can't blame the grocery stores for charging for the bags in this instance... Last month Safeway pulled the plug on nearly 100 stores in the Chicagoland market last month! A&P closed a similar number in Detroit several years ago, and a smaller number in Milwaukee shortly before that; Toledo's dominate grocer closed 50-something stores about 10 years ago.

I just started to cook a few years ago and enjoy doing so, even if it's for myself. I recently discovered I can make a week's worth (or more!) of salads for what I was paying for one late dated, reduced price store made sald.

gingerkat

I haven't figured out why Target and Walmart are still using plastic in Los Angeles? I have tons and tons of plastic bags at the house and give them out to dog walkers that "forget" theirs - grrrr!

When I do get too many, I take them into the grocery store and use their recycling area. I do love my Trader Joe's paper bags with handles (even though I must have them double bagged) because they work for everything. I use them to recycle my old newspapers, and my cats love to play in them!

Cooking for one is simply dreadful! I made three racks of baby back ribs for my Packer party and just finished the last ribs yesterday. I suppose I'll just order out and keep my fridge filled with water and diet coke. Maybe I'll meet a guy that loves to cook? See I'm hopeful for the new year!

oldngray

nowhere special
I haven't figured out why Target and Walmart are still using plastic in Los Angeles? I have tons and tons of plastic bags at the house and give them out to dog walkers that "forget" theirs - grrrr!

When I do get too many, I take them into the grocery store and use their recycling area. I do love my Trader Joe's paper bags with handles (even though I must have them double bagged) because they work for everything. I use them to recycle my old newspapers, and my cats love to play in them!

Cooking for one is simply dreadful! I made three racks of baby back ribs for my Packer party and just finished the last ribs yesterday. I suppose I'll just order out and keep my fridge filled with water and diet coke. Maybe I'll meet a guy that loves to cook? See I'm hopeful for the new year!

Just get a fancy grill in your back yard and guys will come like a moth to a flame. Or you could tan naked but that would attract a different crowd.

gingerkat

OnG, you have no idea of the oddballs I seem to attack - lol. No more late evening trips (yep I stole that from another thread - hehe) to 7-11. I nice looking man tried to pick me up, it was the way he did it that was creepy, but kind of amusing.

As for my BBQing - I have a creepy neighbor that watches me grill and when I walk back there I actually have to carry pepper spray with me *sigh

gingerkat

Dave, what would you and Rowdy like to eat? Well, I'm a little more fond of animals, so you will be feasting on BFF tuna and pumpkin for the evening.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually this is what I will be having for dinner:

82_LRGimg.jpg

82_PSimg.jpg

...and this is what Rowdy will be having:

http://www.friskies.com/Cat-Food/Wet-Cat-Food/Tasty-Treasures-With-Chicken-Tuna-Cheese-In-Gravy

gingerkat

Dave, do I really need to tell you both how bad those foods are? You will be dining on sodium high food and artery thickening agents, but that is your choice. Rowdy should be eating a grain free food that is not off the shelf.

gingerkat

sorry, my Lola hit enter for me.

David, don't make me come over there and have a long talk with you about food choices for your boy.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This will be interesting to follow. What will the ramifications be? One could be higher overall fossil fuel use as the switch to glass and paper is made.